Seaweed

lcookie

Been reading a lot about seaweed being an issue at the beaches on several islands. Anyone been to the beaches in Cozumel recently? Got a cruise planned for Sept and trying to figure out my excursions.

Thanks in advance.

Didnt see much on Cozumel last month in 11 days but lots on Playa.

Your reviews suggest you were mainly at SW beach clubs?

Did you get over to east coast? If it was bad in Playa I would expect it to be bad at Rasta’s, Punta Morena?

I’m at Paradise Beach today and the seaweed is so bad I don’t even want to go to the beach. It’s nasty. Wish we had gone to Playa Mia so the kids could have more than the pool to enjoy.

Thanks

Plan on a west coast beach to maximize your experience as the east coasts of Coz and the Riviera Maya are being impacted the most. Most reviews from land-based visitors to the west coast are very good.

[EDIT] This is affecting the entire Carib, not just the western areas...

We were on Cozumel last Friday. East side beaches had a lot of seaweed! (Although it looked like s small area at Chen Rio was cleared.). We stopped at Uvas on the west side on the way back to the ship and it was cleared,

We are going to Nachi Cocom next week on our RCI cruise. I contacted Nachi Cocom to ask about the sea weed and if their beaches were affected. I was assured there is no sea weed on their beach. That made my day!!

Please report after your trip.

We were on Cozumel last Friday. East side beaches had a lot of seaweed! (Although it looked like s small area at Chen Rio was cleared.). We stopped at Uvas on the west side on the way back to the ship and it was cleared,

Thanks

We are going to Nachi Cocom next week on our RCI cruise. I contacted Nachi Cocom to ask about the sea weed and if their beaches were affected. I was assured there is no sea weed on their beach. That made my day!!

We were at Nachi Cocom last week and no seaweed there! The beach was nice and if you snorkel, take your own, go to the far right of their beach area where the rope is and snorkel in that area and out deeper. Our kids found small stingrays, starfish and there was an eel an lobster hiding in a rock! They do have rental snorkel masks but there're the full face ones and our kids don't like them luckily we had a pair of goggles.

We were on the East Side 2 weeks ago and the seaweed was pretty bad. Some places cleaned it. We were able to run around a lot at Punta Morena and Rastas - Although they weren't the perfect beautiful paradise I have always loved, they still had a lot to offer. I also can't confirm the path of the seaweed but we were told the West side of the island will get it in the winter and the East Side will clean up. there was no smell when we were there.

• 4 weeks later...

We were at Paradise Beach Club Aug 15th and the seaweed was really bad. It smelled horrible. Most of us just stayed at the pool area, but our teens did the inflatables all day at the beach area. They didn't seem to mind it. I have a picture of it I can email you if you want. Just use my screen name above and add @msn.com

We were at Paradise Beach Club Aug 15th and the seaweed was really bad. It smelled horrible. Most of us just stayed at the pool area, but our teens did the inflatables all day at the beach area. They didn't seem to mind it. I have a picture of it I can email you if you want. Just use my screen name above and add @msn.com
Thanks. I'll email you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Nachi last Thanksgiving 2017. We experienced very bad seaweed when we arrived @ 9:00 in the morning. However, they had two workers out there trying to remove as much as possible. Very slow process but they tried their best to get rid of it.

We went to Nachi last Thanksgiving 2017. We experienced very bad seaweed when we arrived @ 9:00 in the morning. However, they had two workers out there trying to remove as much as possible. Very slow process but they tried their best to get rid of it.

Unfortunately this year has been particularly bad in many places, but probably more predominantly on the east coast of Cozumel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...