Transatlantic Crossing for First Timers

A few thoughts.

Some TA's are the first cruise of the season with a crew anxious to start their contracts with good passenger reviews and tips which can make the cruise memorable.

Several lines (I don't know about NCL) will schedule maintenance work which reduces the passenger load but can entail blocked off areas and noise levels. (Windstar is famous for doing that.)

In other words, TA's can involve several unexpected characteristics.

One other consideration: we’ve had three transatlantics with date changes because of charters, and extending or contracting the season. Twice this hasn’t been a problem, but once we had to change from autumn to spring to get the right combination of cruises for a back-to-back. Because they’re on the shoulder of the seasons, repositioning cruises are somewhat vulnerable to date changes.

This hasn’t put us off, repositioners are still our favourites - we also love doing transpacifics because they have even more sea days!

Another thing to consider; your DH may get freaked out knowing there is no hope of touching land for 7 or 8 days. A friend of ours was considering joining us on a TA, but when he sat down and thought about it, he just couldn't deal with the fact that we would be - as he calls it - "adrift at sea" for 7 days with no land in sight. I'm glad he figured it out ahead of time, rather than freaking out on the ship.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Our first cruise was a transpacific, 18 nights Sydney to Honolulu.

I figured we would really like or really not. I was hooked by the time we were sailing out of Sydney.

Now that is how it worked for us, ymmv. :)

Hardly surprising, as Sydney is one of the best harbours in the world. Spectacular arrivals & departures. Perfect location to start your first cruise.