Bottled water?

KSueOz

Is bottled water necessary on Holland America cruise ships? It's expensive!

Welcome to CC.

You can bring unlimited water and non-alcoholic beverages in your carry-on luggage. There is also no limit to your carry-on luggage pieces as long as they will fit through an airport-like security scanner.

Bottled water is not necessary anywhere and is in fact and in my opinion a total waste of money. The bottled water industry has convinced without any evidence that bottled water is better and purer than tap water. When I am on a ship, I either bring my own water bottle or buy just one bottle of water and reuse the bottle.

DON

Bottled water is not necessary anywhere and is in fact and in my opinion a total waste of money. The bottled water industry has convinced without any evidence that bottled water is better and purer than tap water. When I am on a ship, I either bring my own water bottle or buy just one bottle of water and reuse the bottle.

DON

There is one exception: San Pellegrino.

Ditto that! The water on the ship is the same stuff that's in those bottles! It's also in the food, beverages and ice! It's fine.

Yes, the tap water on ships if totally safe to drink. On most ships it is actually vastly superior to some bottled water.

The only downside with ship's tap water is that because it's stored in tanks it's not as cool as water from your tap at home.

Easily resolved by adding ice, same as you would with bottled water.

That ice is made with ship's water.

JB :)

Those of us who live in warm climates laugh at this...Our water from the tap is never cold. Tepid at the most. EM

DON

K. Drink the tap water in Tanzania and let me know how that goes for you. ANYWHERE is a stretch. But agree, on the US and on cruise ships the tap water is perfectly fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

K. Drink the tap water in Tanzania and let me know how that goes for you. ANYWHERE is a stretch. But agree, on the US and on cruise ships the tap water is perfectly fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No argument there. However, I also take one of these Sanipens - https://www.amazon.com/SteriPen-Ultra/dp/B00CIGYJ5G - which kills the bugs in the water. You do have to filter the water before using the pen which can be a pain. I have used a similar pen when camping or backpacking and I am still alive. I have yet to try it in Tanzania.

DON

The only downside with ship's tap water is that because it's stored in tanks it's not as cool as water from your tap at home.

Easily resolved by adding ice, same as you would with bottled water.

That ice is made with ship's water.

JB :)

So true above! While perfectly safe to drink, best when it's chilled with ice. (y)

DON

Largely true , in the US, at least - exceptions such as Flint, MI and a few other places. We find that tap water in FL, while OK to drink, does not make good coffee.

Generally, the craze for bottled water in the US is simply evidence that people have more disposable income than they need. However, their expenditure on bottled water, boutique coffees and cigarettes, etc. are primarily ways people make themselves unable to afford more cruises.

The only reason we use bottled water when we cruise is to take ashore with us on excursions. We're fine drinking the ship's water on the ship.

We've gotten the bottles for excursions too and also found it convenient to have a bottle or two for the drive home or while waiting to get off the ship (if no other water available in the waiting area. We had a 3L hydration bladder filled with ship's ice and water on our last cruise and it was even better for the beach excursions than the bottles.

Water like food is very subjective. You may like this. Get ready for a good laugh.

Harry

:D

• 2 weeks later...