What to do on a cruise when you don't plan to leave the ship

JanMcc

Hubby and I booked our first cruise out of Sydney, Australia heading to the South Seas and have not planned any excursions. Since we are travelling to Sydney from Canada, we thought this cruise would be a good way to get acquainted with the time difference. We will be cruising with Royal Caribbean and were wondering if anyone can give us pointers on what to expect. Thank you!

Even if you do not take an excursion, you may want to get off the ship. You can wander around the port, get a meal, shop, etc.

On the ship, there will probably be some activities, but not too many. You should plan to entertain yourselves if you have many port days.

We will often stay on the ship in some ports.....which are generally places we have visited one or more times and which hold little interest. This is particularly true in the Caribbean where we once stayed on the ship for 8 out of 9 ports. Those port days on the ship were a true highlight since the ship was relatively empty, it was quiet (great for reading) and there were no queues for food, drinks, etc. The shocker about staying on the ship are that there are quite a few others that do the same thing :).

In the Caribbean we have no interest in any excursions (we know all the islands quite well) and would normally just go to our favorite beach when ashore. So our decision making is simply do we want to go to a beach or stay on the ship with the pool, a drink package (on some ships), and food that is generally better then we get ashore. Even in Europe we have sometimes stayed aboard because we were in a part of Europe we prefer to explore when on lengthy driving trips in Europe.

Next week we are cruising from Copenhagen (we are flying over from home) and I asked DW how many days she wanted to spend in Copenhagen...pre-cruise. Her answer was "None." Why? We have been to Copenhagen many times (most recently 2 years ago when we spent a few days) and DW simply has no interest in dealing with hotels and seeing the same stuff we have seen many times. The only draw is that we have a favorite restaurant...but she did not think it was worth spending hundreds of dollars for a hotel so we could go to a restaurant for an expensive dinner. Go figure.

Some folks might be shocked, but there are some cruisers who cruise to be on the ship...not so much in the ports. We once joked that our perfect cruise would be a 100 day round the world voyage that never stopped at a port :).

Hank

When visiting ports we have visited many times before, or are just exhausted from a long series of port days, we happily stay aboard. Good time to catch up with laundry, take a few photos around the ship, or relax by the pool and possibly even a few laps around the pool.

Get yourself a guidebook on your ports. Excursion are usually not needed, if you know SOMETHING about the places you visit!

As far as the time difference...gonna take a couple of days to get "acclimated" to the time difference, unless you're from the W. coast of Canada...then it's only a couple hours (ben tho the actual DAY might be different)...a day should do it, to get you back on track. The E. Coast of the Americas are a day behind, but you will only feel the 10-12 hour difference.

Don't get me wrong. At this point, for a Caribbean or a Bahamas cruise it wouldn't bother me to get on the ship at embarkation, and not leave until they kick my butt off. But, if I were flying half way across the world to go to Australia, I wouldn't get on a cruise and not get off to see a little bit of the ports.

Welcome to CC.

If you don't get off the ship, then you cannot appropriately put a pin in the map. Those the rules!!

We are often in ports where we have been several times and elect not to get off (Aruba, for instance). Karen knits, that will keep her occupied for several hours. Whereas I learn the life story of some bartender.

Jim

Welcome to CC.

If you don't get off the ship, then you cannot appropriately put a pin in the map. Those the rules!!

We are often in ports where we have been several times and elect not to get off (Aruba, for instance). Karen knits, that will keep her occupied for several hours. Whereas I learn the life story of some bartender.

Jim

LOL. We hear ya! And some of those bartenders have terrific life stories :).

Hank

Don't get me wrong. At this point, for a Caribbean or a Bahamas cruise it wouldn't bother me to get on the ship at embarkation, and not leave until they kick my butt off. But, if I were flying half way across the world to go to Australia, I wouldn't get on a cruise and not get off to see a little bit of the ports.

I totally agree with you. If I am going somewhere new, I at least, need to get off the ship and walk or cab in to the town/ city and soak up a little of the culture/atmosphere. But I guess there are different strokes.....etc.. ;):D

I can't imagine traveling all that way and not getting off the ship.

about 10 years ago, we took a cruise-to-nowhere 5-day cruise... it was real fun, but after leaving New York harbor, we never saw land again until 5 days later.(and yes, New York harbor again) :)

about 10 years ago, we took a cruise-to-nowhere 5-day cruise... it was real fun, but after leaving New York harbor, we never saw land again until 5 days later.(and yes, New York harbor again) :)

There usually are no stops between New York and Southampton ;)

There usually are no stops between New York and Southampton ;)

I meant cruise that begin and end in the same harbor without making stops anywhere else.

Since that was the only cruise I took, I wonder if that mean I'm still a first time cruiser? :) (have one booked for November)

I'm glad I saw this thread because I'm not sure if we will be planning any excursions. I definitely want to get off the ship and explore and not be bored. Just not sure what we can do on foot or if a tour ride is necessary to get around. Can we see and explore alot of the port area on foot?

Some places, there are sights to see within easy walking distance of the port. For others you would need some transportation at a minimum.

It will depend in part on the ports you will be visiting

We will be going to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Cayman.....