Do you buy wine package on board?

seniorladycruiser

can you go to the dining room, select a bottle of wine from the list, then take the bottle to either vines, crooners, or even a specialty restaurant?...[emoji782]

I haven tried it but you’re supposed to be able to drink it anywhere.

One flyer said that besides using it in any dining room (MDR/specialty) the wine package could be used in the buffet. Haven’t done it but as I recall have read posts from those who did it. My guess is that would take even longer than in a dining room to get the wine.

Quick question. When you purchase a Silver Pkg. does that mean you can only havethe wine at dinner but not in your cabin ? Are you given the bottles up front ?

You have to go to the MDR with your wine card and your SS card. You can only get your wine when the MDR is open. We bring a bag with us and usually get 2 bottles at lunch so it's chilling for wine on the balcony in the evening. If you eat in the MDR, tell the waiter that you want to take a bottle or two back to your cabin and he'll get it for you before you leave. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE WINE BEFORE YOU TAKE IT! We ended up with 2 bottles we didn't ask for! Our mistake for not checking, now we do before we leave the MDR.

Sorry that you’ve had that problem which thankfully we haven’t experienced.

Same for us. We have never found a wine we want was unavailable.

We were on Royal in the Med a year ago and 25% of the wines on the wine list weren't available. We usually had to pick wines that were above the $45 limit on the Gold package. However it still worked out good value for money.

We've purchased the Gold package since our very first Princess Cruise. We try to have lunch in the MDR on embarkation and buy it straight away. We take the half bottle back to our cabin to enjoy on our balcony during sailaway. You can leave the bottle in the MDR and the waiters will produce it at dinner. This isn't always a fast service and we have had bottles go missing. You can also get the wine sent from the MDR to a speciality restaurant or vice versa. You can take these bottles with you anywhere on the ship but you may be asked by a vigilant waiter where it was purchased.

You can buy from the package at some bars, the buffet and specialty restaurants as well as the MDR. If you choose the silver package you can upgrade to the gold within the first few days of the cruise if there's nothing on the cheaper list that appeals to you. If you get the gold or silver you can pay the difference to upgrade individual bottles if that suits you better.

As someone already said, they frequently run out of the best wines, then the second best, before the end of the cruise. We often buy in advance and have the bottles put away or take them to our cabin. It's funny but the cheaper ones on the list are always still available.

Does anyone have a list of the wines available on each of the packages or does it vary by ship? We are sailing on a 10 day Canada/NE cruise on the Royal later this month. Sounds like a reasonable offer and with our share holders credit even better! TIA :D(y):wine-glass:

Does anyone have a list of the wines available on each of the packages or does it vary by ship? We are sailing on a 10 day Canada/NE cruise on the Royal later this month. Sounds like a reasonable offer and with our share holders credit even better! TIA :D(y):wine-glass:

Here’s a link to the helpful wine list created by ‘Steelers36’...Silver up to $31; Gold up to $45. If wanting wine that exceeds these limits you’ll pay the extra cost.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=412023&d=1510903877

Princess is promoting changes to drink options (wine & cocktails) that are to be implemented fleetwide this Fall so there will be some changes.

Here’s a link to the helpful wine list created by ‘Steelers36’...Silver up to $31; Gold up to $45. If wanting wine that exceeds these limits you’ll pay the extra cost.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=412023&d=1510903877

Princess is promoting changes to drink options (wine & cocktails) that are to be implemented fleetwide this Fall so there will be some changes.

Thank you much appreciated

UPDATE:

Just off the Coral yesterday, the 7 day "Wine Country" itinerary (i.e. repositioning cruise from Alaska).

We were able to order a wine package on the first day, in the MDR.

On one of the days at sea, we were able to get a bottle of wine at lunch in Alfredo's (i.e. Sabatini's).

Took a few minutes but staff was happy to accommodate us. Asked them to hold the remainder for dinner in

the Bordeaux dining room. Had no issues retrieving it.

They were out of 2 different wines when ordered but were not surprised, as the Coral was moving down from Alaska.

I'm sure they are well stocked for the 60 day, occurring right now.

Just curious if Princess is considering offering these packages on 7 night cruises after reading it was offered on at least one 7 night sailing? Our next cruise will require a flight to get to the port and is only 7 days. When it is a 10 night sailing, we are usually leaving out of our home port, so that is never an issue for us to just take the wines we like and paying the corkage. But, would really love to get the package on that week long cruise we are taking. Anybody else with any luck in seeing the package available on a 7 night cruise?

crawford...thanks for the update.

Did you notice any new wines like they’re promoting fleetwide this Fall?

We’re booked on the Royal’s Spring 2019 & 2020 Pacific Wine Country cruises to Vancouver & hope to have the wine packages available.

I didn't notice any new wines on the menu but then there are a number of varietals we typically skip.

I would think (hope) Princess would have highlighted a new wine list on a "Wine Country" cruise.

Mike

I didn't notice any new wines on the menu but then there are a number of varietals we typically skip.

I would think (hope) Princess would have highlighted a new wine list on a "Wine Country" cruise.

Mike

Thanks Mike...looking forward to trying some new wines.

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2018 at 3:28 PM, seniorladycruiser said:

Hello. I was reading about the 2 wine packages you can buy, silver or gold. Do you buy this on the ship?

I have tried finding the wine packages on the website - could you put the link up for those of us who aren't so talented to find it?? 🙂

Thank you!

On 9/12/2018 at 12:24 PM, wheezedr said:

We did it on a 21 day Med cruise and it worked well. Not offered on short cruises. I generally try to find a wine store in port and bring extra wine on board. Even with corkage for the bottles I take to the MDR I usually come out ahead and have advantage of a broader selection.

If you just keep the wine in your stateroom (not sayin' I would take a glass with me walking around the ship - but who knows) do you have to pay a corkage fee when you bring the bottles onboard?

21 minutes ago, janniebabe said:

If you just keep the wine in your stateroom (not sayin' I would take a glass with me walking around the ship - but who knows) do you have to pay a corkage fee when you bring the bottles onboard?

You are allowed 1bottle per person without corkage.  Those bottles are supposed to be for personal consumption in your cabin, so if you take them to the MDR you can be charged corkage.  Varies with your waiter if they actually do it.  The bottles above 2 are supposed to be recorded at the time you board and the corkage is then processed.  You get a stamp or labels on those bottles to acknowledge that corkage has been paid.

27 minutes ago, janniebabe said:

I have tried finding the wine packages on the website - could you put the link up for those of us who aren't so talented to find it?? 🙂

Thank you!

The wine package does not show up on the website and can only be purchased on board and then usually only on longer cruises.  When I have done it I have had to ask my waiter for it.

• Like 1

We had the silver package last month on the Royal's 15-day trans-Atlantic cruise. That worked out about right for us, although I did start ordering wine at lunch to make sure we'd use up all 10 bottles. They would store the wine left in the bottle and find it for us at dinner. I also ordered a bottle one day at Alfredo's, and they were able to find the leftover wine at dinner.