Feb. 15, 2014, Royal Clipper

LTCOP

We had options of the railway trip or jeep tour.

Mixed reviews on the train.The mature people enjoyed its slow pace and scenery.The young contingent really hated it.Saying it was just a slow trip through weeds!, But the majority of reports was very good.it is 2 hours long and very slow.if you want upstairs open air,get on quick!,

I cannot comment on the tours of the island as everyone I spoke to just walked or did the train...

Jane.

Forgot to add that you must check in the Port Booklet very carefully what you want to do as the ship anchors up in different ports for different tours depending on windward or leeward island trips.

We and a few others signed up for the waterfall and rainforest walk,only to find it was only on the Grenadines itinerary and we went on the jeep doing a different scenic tour with no waterfall. Disappointed.

Janecambridge,

Thanks for the response. I was considering the train, but now don't think that will be the best option for us:-)

I can't wait to go on the cruise!!! We have had so much snow and extreme cold this winter, that sun, sand, and ocean are all I will need for a fantastic experience:-)

Did Star Clipper run their little boats to a beach each day you were in port? If so, I am thinking that might be the way to go. Or did they just tender you to the town?

Pam

Janecambridge,

Thanks for the response. I was considering the train, but now don't think that will be the best option for us:-)

Did Star Clipper run their little boats to a beach each day you were in port? If so, I am thinking that might be the way to go. Or did they just tender you to the town?

Pam

I loved the train trip on St. Kitts. It was a great way to get a different look of the island. I'm in my 50's, and enjoy both active and relaxing excursions.

The cars are newly built double decked. The lower level is air conditioned, and the upper is open (but covered). You can move up and down as desired. There is complementary (rum) punch,and sodas! On my trip, our ship's group took up one rail car. All but 2 people stayed upstairs, and there was plenty of room.

Generally speaking, the ship runs tenders to both the town,and a beach. Some places, like St. Kitts, the head to the town, let off people doing excursions, then head over to the beach stop. (It would easy enough to get a taxi from Basseterre to South Friar's Beach. ) And on the Windward itinerary, there is no beach stop at Martinique. (The did do a dive trip from the ship.)

Aloha,

John

I am shocked to hear there was a dive around Martinique.my husband is actually in contact wih clipper about the dive master no longer being onboard so unless we booked privately,4 days into our trip,he couldn't dive.

Tanya just gave him a bunch of phone numbers and told him to do it himself...

Jane