Star Flyer Tahiti Transpacific to Caribbean 02/14/2010

Rosaslovian

We are booked for the 34 day portion and can hardly wait. We were on the Star Clipper in October from Atehns to Goa ,India We are in Cabin 330. :) The 24 days we had were wonderful.

Ed/Sue

I am booked on the Tahiti - Lisbon cruise, 66 days in total! I am already thinking what to take. Still 7 1/2 months to go, but already 2 months gone since booking.

I will be flying to Tahiti on February 10, arriving in Papeete the 11th, so I will have till Sunday to get adjusted to the heat and time difference. Have not booked a hotel yet.

I know from one other person who will be on the 34 day trip.

Can't wait.

Pralientje:D:cool::)

Great to see other transpacific passengers on here. You have to be very adventurous! I will be sailing alone for the 1st 34 days (cat 3, cabin 110). Could not get anyone to join me. Everyone thinks I am totally crazy to be on the Pacific for 34 days. Two will be joining me in Panama when we will switch to cat 2, cabin 326 for 2 weeks on the Caribbean. Absolutely cannot wait!

-Walt

Going to be celebrating my 70th on this sailing, did my 60 th Costa Rica. we are going to spend a couple of weeks there after the sailing. Hope to see more people coming on this.;)

I will be sailing solo from Tahiti to Panama,,, have previously done the Royal TransAtlantic and the Star Clipper Athens to Phuket, and was in Tahiti on the Flyer last Nov.,,,and Clipper on a short one out of St Martin,, love to be sailing! It's going to be a great trip! I will fly into PPT on Feb 12th,, hotel still undecided...:D:cool:

We are going in a week before sailing. We are booking a place at Bali High in Morrea. Have to get climatized. We leave this Sunday for Ireland and France for 3 weeks. Have to start brushing up on my French speaking.;)

I'm really excited about this one. I'm doing Papette to Panama. Did Thailand to Greece on the Star Clipper last year. It was the best cruise ever for me and I've done a few.

I may be the only smoking criminal on this trip... but if there are others.... A carton in French Polynesia runs about $90 if I remember correctly. There seem to be no restrictions on how many you can fly into Papette. I wish I'd known this the last time I was out there. I'm going to try to bring in enough to last me the whole trip. On the Star Flyer, cigarettes were not sold.

For internet junkies.... Although Star Clippers offers the internet on their week cruises, no connection was available on the Thailand-Greece trip. Be prepared to be out of contact for the days at sea on this one. I don't know this, but I suspect it will be true. I doubt SC has a connection across the Pacific. The same may be true for TV.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,, I got lucky yesterday and found reward rooms at Hilton in Tahiti,, think it used to be another brand and it did not show as available for quite some time, but I snagged 2 nights free last night,, so that is all good.

Anyone getting off in Panama? Know of any hotels there that are good? (I know from past experience when I get off of an ocean crossing I am only good to laze around a pool for a few days, to the thought of downtown Panama City hotels is not enticing),, right now looking at Intercontinental that is on the beach, slightly out of town... maybe piece together one paid night and a couple of freebies on points,, any other ideas?? Also want to do tour of Miraflores locks and Panama Canal on Sunday or Monday after disembarking,, anyone have any info on tours?

And my experience on the internet, while Star Clippers advertise internet connection, reality is as soon as they leave the "zone" - which is only known to them,,, you lose your ability to SEND internet messages. On both the Royal Transatlantic crossing in 2005 and the 2007 Indian Ocean crossing, I could still RECEIVE internet messages the entire way,, but mid stream, with no advance announcement, Star Clippers started charging a cost per page to receive emails - maybe like 1 Euro per page,,,(so tell your friends to only email if necessary and keep it short,, no long banners on their emails, it will cost you another page worth!!) - but in case of emergency, it is good to know you can receive and in dire emergency you can send out. Not sure if the Pacific crossing would be any different, but suffice to say,, outgoing really not an option after a certain point. That point may be the Tahiti dock, who knows,, or maybe once leaving BoraBora,, not sure about Marquesas. Generally cheaper to get off and find internet cafe, except in French Polynesia, which generally has prices so high the Star Clipper prices look like a bargain.

Hey Old Backpacker,, have you tried one of those "Electronic" cigarettes,, apparently it gives you nicotine but none of the smoke or smell,, maybe you fill it with nicotine cylinders or something,,, reusable,, would be great for sailing trip and no hassle packing multiple cartons of cigs,,,) saw it on TV (I am ex smoker so one of those "don't come near me while you are smokin kinds,,,").

That's all for today,,, wishing I could get a quick sail in Nov or so but our company cut back our vacation, pay, pension and just about everything else this year,, so short on vacation days for sure,,, gonna have to make it till Feb!!!

Has anyone looked at the new Star Clippers blog site (think starclippersblog.com)? Haven't seen too much activity there,,,

I wanna be sailing,,,,, talk to you all later, Gail:cool::D

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back fom practicing my French in France and testing the Guiness in Ireland. We will be getting off in Panama and going to Costa Rica for a couple of weeks. Was ther for my 60th , so might as well do it for my 70th. Found good air fares using Hawaiian Air. Now looking where to stay for acouple of days in Thaiti be forwe boarding. Had a friend who wanted to go also but all is booked. :eek:

Ed/Sue

So Ed, from reading your post, it sounds like the cruise is sold out? Did I interpret that correctly?:confused: Hmmm, guess not surprised if that is the case as I recall other trans-oceanic repositioning cruises have also sold out fast.

I stayed at Intercontinental in Moorea last Nov for 5 nights, it was really nice. IC has an "Ambassador Club" you can join and they give you automatic upgrade (we got a separate Garden Cottage, it was great) and late checkout, etc. for a fairly reasonable club membership fee, and it comes with a free night coupon as well. We rented a car one day, but Moorea is nice in that many restaurants will send a car to pick you up if you have no car (in both cases we did this, it was the chef/owner who came to pick us up,, what a hoot, you had to wait till a gap in the dining action to get the ride home, but waiting was never a sacrifice). There is also a little shop at the top of the IC driveway, and a few restaurants in walking distance. I walked by the Bali Hai but did not go in - one day while on the ship. It is on one of the bays where the ship anchors on the 7 night Tahiti sail.

Still researching Panama with no decisions,,, reading about the Barro Colorado Smithsonian Research Institute, sounds like an interesting way to spend a day...

later, Gail

Ed, Sue,

do you happen to know if the 2nd leg (Panama-St. Maarten) and/or the 3rd leg (St. Maarten/Lisbon) are also sold out? Just curious.

Have not decided yet where to stay in Tahiti. Will book my air fair from Lisbon to Amsterdam tomorrow.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if the people who will be staying a couple of days before the cruise start, to meet and have a drink.

Still 6 1/2 months to go, so plenty enough time to think it over.

Pralientje

We finally booked our air to Tahiti. we are going Hawaiian Air. We got buisness class for 1750. Got to stay over night in Honolulu, but it is worth it. We get in on the Friday the 12th. will need to get a room for a couple of nights. Any sugestions? Drinks sound good. We are getting our booze at the duty free before we board in Hawaii. We will be spending a couple of weeks in Costa Rica before coming home. I only know the first leg:rolleyes: is full. It will be a one time sail from Tahiti to Panama.

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

MY wife and I are taking the first part of the cruise to Panama. Would like to get to Tahiti a couple of days early and had been looking at the Hawaian airline connection also. This will be our 5th time on a Clipper ship. Have gone both ways across the Atlantic on the Royal, did Phuket to Athens in the spring of 2008, a short Phuket to Singapore as part of a Vantage tour so are really looking forward to this trip.

We are also planning on 4-5 days in Panama to store up the heat before we head back to chilly Chicago.

BTW: the get together for the early arrivals sounds great.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terrypilot and wife,, welcome to our little group,, we are almost in the 5 month zone (yes, 5 mo from now in Tahiti,,, getting in the sailing frame of mind,,,,). Let me know if you all decide on some great hotel in Panama City, still struggling with that one (can't see being in city following so many days at sea,, still searching for perfect hotel with swim up bar to use to ease back into landlife).

A meet up the night before sailing in Tahiti will be fine. Gail

Sorry to jump in...wish we could join you all. If you're looking for a place to get together in Papeete, I would suggest just meeting at the Roulette's. Specifically, the Red Crepe truck. You can have anything from dinner to dessert there and they are right at the dock where the Star Flyer is docked. We've made it a point to visit that truck both times we've been there.

Mike

Hi All:

I like the idea of meeting Saturday night (2/13/10) in Papeete. The Roulettes are highly recommended everywhere I have read about them. I am sure we can find a place to toast our adventure. Anyone else want to join me scuba diving on Saturday or for an island tour? Can't wait... only 147 days away! -Walt

Hi Walt, I was thinking of doing an island tour on Sat since I did not get to see Tahiti on the last trip, other than downtown Papeetee,, so if you want to hook up on that, I am game. Do you want to rent a car or we can research and sign up for one of the standard ones offered?

I am staying in Hilton, not quite sure where that is,, need to find out. Let me know where you are staying and we can coordinate, and if others want to join. I stayed last time at Intercontinental and I recall they did a 1/2 day tour and a full day tour that you could book out of the hotel, or I figure my travel agent could find us one to book also if you want to go that route. I will find my Fr Polynesia guidebook from before and see what I can find listed. Might be good to prebook if possible. I get in 7 or 8PM Fri night,, so Sat is my only full day before boarding.

I do think I will see if travel agent will book my transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to ship, as taxis are very expensive and I think the pre-booked transfers are quite a bit cheaper,,, we did that last time and it worked well.

I am good on meet at Roulettes Sat night,, I know they were all open late at night but don't know what time they start up, but am game for whatever! Good suggestion Mike,, thanks!

OK,, I have my bathing suits,, dance dresses,, am ready,, just have 5 (less than,,,) more months of that nasty work to get through!!!! :D:DGail

OK, one more thing Gail, Because you mentioned renting a car. Like you, the first trip we didn't get to see much of Tahiti except for downtown Papeete by the Pier.This last trip, since we stayed over 2 days after the cruise, we decided to rent a car and tour the island by ourselves. We both agreed afterwards, we wished we would have just taken one of the 4X4 tours that goes into the interior of the island. Although we enjoyed ourselves, with the developement along the highway and because the road hugs the coastline, it offers very few opportunities for the vistas we were hoping for. That combined with the usual stress you get from driving in an unfamiliar locale, having to be picked up at the hotel & driven back to the office in downtown Papeete & of course the same when you return the car made for a very long day. A 1/2 day tour and half day laying at the beach would have been much more relaxing.

Not familiar with the Hilton, we stayed one night pre at the Sofitel and 2 nights post at the Radisson. Of the two, we much preferred the Radisson.

Mike

http://gallery.mac.com/csealove

Walt, Gail and everybody else,

It is a pity I don't scuba dive but only snorkle. But if you do decide to do an island tour, please count me in. As fas as my memory goes I have done the 4x4 and loved it. The tour guide showed us a lot of special plants and we swam under a waterfall, pretty cold but fun to do, especially with the warm weather. Are you planning on arranging this before hand? Since I will be arriving the 11th, perhaps I could be of some help. Afterwards we could all end up at the Roulettes:rolleyes:. So if people are interested, please sign up, so we can make some arrangements.

Also counting!:D

Ineke

The 4X4 excursion would be great on Saturday, 2/13. I can scuba dive on Sunday prior to boarding Star Flyer. I would snorkle anytime, too. Thanks to Budaman's comments, renting a car does not sound like much fun with limited time. Riding in a 4X4 sounds more exciting and would include breath taking vistas. I don't mind going on a long tour. Any ideas for reserving a 4X4 tour? One day closer... Walt :p

Just got back from a 30 day cruise around British Is. Norway, Iceland, Greeland. An old friend from the trip from Athlens to Phuet last Oct is joning us for the first leg also. Meeting for dinner sounds like fun. We are also snokelers. We got the new catalogue from Stat Clipper and it looks lgood for Costa Rica area next year. It also show the first leg to Panama.

Gor to get more Hawaiian shirts fo rthe trip.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have been poking around looking for tours, looks like we have some choices, the full day circle tours that include Tahiti-iti? the little penninsula,, or shorter circle tour or 4x4 which is more nature oriented (half day, full day),,, would be fun to find one that had some touring and some snorkling. The 4x4 tour ad said they picked you up at various hotels, seems like you can arrange online and the trick would be to get us all on the same tour, even though we may be staying at different hotels.

And I found a posting for Chinese New Years, the day we sail away! Maybe this will be a good omen,, to sail on Chinese New Year.... Gail

Chinese New Year

February 14, 2010

The Chinese community of Tahiti celebrates the New Year on the date given by the Chinese horoscope for that particular year. This year is the Year of the Tiger. The program of festivities begin with the official opening ceremony at the Kanti temple of Mamao and is followed by several events including the parade of the lion through all the neighboring shops and finishes with a ball at the Chinese Philanthropic hall. A cultural day is also organized to discover the magic of Chinese folk culture; song, dance, martial arts and culinary arts.

Got back from our 30day cruise around UK. Norway , Iceland, Greeland, and Nova Scotia. Not to far off to start looking for more Hawaiian shirts. Dinner sounds good at the Red Crepe truck. Going to have a friend from our Star Clipper trip last Oct with us also on this trip. We are also snokelers. I have used their stuff before. The fins are OK, but will bring own mask. We will be staying Fare Suisse Guess house for two nights.

Is anyone bringing booz with them? I'm bringing a botle of Johnny Walker Green. Sue will bring hers also (RED), for the evening drink before dinner and after on deck.

ED/Sue:D

• 2 weeks later...

Ed and Sue, it sounds like you all are having too much fun!! Making me jealous!

On the supplies front, I expect to stash a bottle or two of single malt, gonna be that long stretch across the Pacific with no stops!! When we did the Indian Ocean crossing we got off in Cochin and Goa and hit the (very interesting) liquor stores in India, but this trip will be a bit more ocean and fewer stops, so figure have to stock up before boarding (stick it in your checked luggage, seems to be no problem...).

Other than refreshments, think sun screen will be the other big stock up item, since we will be so close to the equator, think it will be a very hot sail!

A friend told me that we would be sailing in "the wrong direction" and I looked at various charts, globes, maps and it does look like almost all ocean currents will be running west as opposed to east, as we will be sailing.. Anyone out there know anything about this? Think we will be 16 days on Pacific bumping those waves the entire time?

4 months from now we are sailing!! Gail:D

Archived