Royal Clipper Dec 12, 2015 Barbados (Grenadines Route)

taphappy

Hello,

I booked my cabin today!

I'm giving a "call out" to see whether anyone would like to chat/share information or ask questions ahead of the cruise. I am a newbie to Royal Clipper, but I experienced a similar itinerary with Windstar about 5 years ago. I just loved traveling this route.

We didn't get to snorkel at Tobago Cays on that voyage due to post storm sea conditions. I promised myself to return one day - and here I am.

Bon voyage to all,

Nina

One or two thoughts to get you started on the RC. On your first day (out of Barbados) suggest you go in to dinner promptly at 7.30 and be out by, say, 9.45. Then make your way up to the area by the open part of the bridge for sailaway at 10.00p.m. The sails are being raised as the ship leaves the port and Vangelis 1492 The Conquest of Paradise (also known as Columbus) is playing. Wonderful.

For the Tobago Cays suggest you are in the bridge area as the ship approaches the island where it, usually, anchors off - a masterclass of navigation getting in there. Look to port and starboard as the ship goes in and, in the distance, you can see the waves breaking on the coral reefs. Weather permitting the RC will provide a lunchtime barbeque on that (uninhabited) island. Where you are taken ashore, just to the left (facing the shore) there is some nice snorkelling in shallow water. (check to see if there are any currents before you go in). You can walk to the other side of the island - just a couple of minutes - where you will see yachts anchored off. There is a nice long beach there where you can also snorkel. Suggest you only do that in the middle area of the beach and NOT at the ends and check carefully for any currents to ensure that it is OK to go in.

Thank you so much for the tips! These kind of insights make such a difference.

I can't wait to see the sail go up as we depart Barbados!

I will check the currents. I tried swimming from a sport deck platform in Bequia, while anchored for about 60 seconds ....and so I've some insight about currents!

I see the ship changes port position in St. Lucia, which Windstar didn't. I'm an adventuresome solo traveler, but last I visited St. Lucia (5-6 years ago) I decided to just enjoy the the nearby beach. Once I stepped foot on land, I had a gut feel about security I didn't like. Felt good about the other ports on my trip.

Any comments about managing to catch up with the ship? Or did you do a snorkel tour?

Bon voyage!

Nina

I note that you are a solo traveller but I very much hope that when you go snorkelling you pair up with someone else!!

In addition to some hotel holidays in St. Lucia over the years we have called there several times on the RC. For your call (Marigot Bay / Souffriere) I would suggest just going ashore (by tender) for a short while in Marigot Bay - historically, and still, a leading destination / hurricane hole for yachties and one or two nice cafes there. For the Souffriere stop (the RC "hovers" offshore as it is too deep to anchor) the sports team (weather permitting) usually take you in the RIBS (Rigid Inflatable Boats) to a snorkelling spot where one of the Pitons drops down - and continues to go down - in to the sea. Recommended - my best ever snorkelling there.

Tschibi,

Glad to hear you will be on the ship! I'm staying three nights in Barbados ahead of the cruise. Living in Northeastern USA means possible snow delays and I want a better chance to board the ship on time!

I read on the Barbados Cruise Critic board about excess seaweed washing ashore. I'm optimistic about finding a beach that works for me!

taphappy,

we are staying 5 nights in Barbados ahead of the cruise and 2 nights after the cruise.

I'm a bit tense because of the a seaweed problem.

I hope it will be a dream vacation. :-)

But you're right, we must be optimistic.

Please excuse my English.

I hope you can understand it :-)

Tschibi,

Your English is perfect.

Here are some photos I found posted from searching Twitter that made me feel hopeful.

Mother Nature or weather is always going be a factor on any vacation. Public buses are very convenient on Barbados and it is easy to travel during the day to different beaches, if it becomes necessary. The taxi drivers will be a good source about day to day beach conditions.

I chose to stay on the West coast on this trip. I stayed for a week many years ago on the South Coast.

It will be a dream vacation as long as minor issues stay that way!

Hi Nina,

thank you for your Informations and the Link to the Facebook-Page.

The pictures look really good.

The South Coast Barbados should not really be affected.

Our hotel in Barbados is located on the south coast.

But as you have already written, it will probably not be a problem to find a nice beach. :-)

Many greetings

Kathi

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Taphappy and Tschibi!!! Welcome to the Boat!!! We did the Grenadines (and other tours also) with the Royal Clipper and her sister ships. I am from New Jersey, but I have been living in Germany for years, yes Ages!!! We love the Royal and Star Clipper and the Star Flyer. I guess it depends on the passengers, but no one did a big Thing on the Pirates Night. Some just tied a scarf around their head. Some made a eye-cap. No one sang "Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum".. We just drank a lot of rum. But everyone was in good Spirits. We are hoping the seaweed will be gone soon. In December, the sea is cooler than now. That is one of the Problems. Warm seas (hurricane season) plus the nutrients from the Amazon-River-Basin. Will Keep my fingers crossed for you.

Tschibi, which Hotel are you staying at? Coming in with Condor? Enjoy!!!

Hello everyone :-)

I hope so much that the seaweed problem has done until december...

Muskatnuss... yes we're flying with condor. Not my favorite airline but the cheapest ;-)

We stay at the Accra Beach Hotel and at sandals.

Only 88 day :-D...

Thanks Muskatnuss!

I am staying at Almond Beach for three nights before the cruise. I read that this resort is not what it used to be, but I wanted to be on the west coast and I'm not fussy.

Hearing that you've crossed paths with jolly people on pirate night makes me smile. I was planning to come with a few small accessories. I guess that is more than enough.

Thank you for your email - I appreciate it.

Nina

Hi,

I asked Muskatnuss about visiting St. Vincent without spending significant time in a taxi.

Her reply was "It is a very quiet Little Island. VERY caribbean. Just get of the Boat (you will tender) and walk out of the port.

Turn left and walk and walk and walk. Take a map with you (Internet). Somewhere turn right and walk a block up. Then left again. You will come to a church with a marvelous cemetery. This is the Kingstwon Anglican Church.

Go down to the water from here and turn left and walk back to the port area. It is very picturesque. You can also got to the Botanical Garden. I would suggest taking a taxi to it. Maybe walk back".

The beach near the church is volcanic black sand and that she's experienced items becoming stained from it.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Muskatnuss... hier einen deutschen Ansprechpartner zu haben ist super.

Bei Condor ist es natürlich super, dass sie weltweit Ziele direkt anfliegen! Das erspart lästiges und zeitaufwendiges umsteigen.

Wie ist der Altersdurchschnitt auf der Royal Clipper?

Viele Grüße

Tschibi!!! (Wir warten auf dich!!!) We are waiting for you!! (Melde dich, bitte!!!) Please reply!!! Taphappy and I have already met!!! (Taphappy und Ich haben uns schon vorgestellt.)

Es wäre schön, wenn du dich zu uns gesellen würdest!!!

Taphappy - I'm doing my very best!!!

Edited by muskatnuss
Advanced message

A quick note of appreciation to those who reached out to share information!!

We have two continents represented on this particular voyage - USA and Europe. Are there others?

Every time there's is a post, it makes this trip feel real.

Wishing you all the best, Nina