Do people dress up for the themed nights? Should we bring our pirate outfits?

luvavacation

I was reading another thread but didn't want to hijack it so I figured I would just start a new post.

For the themed nights, do passengers on MSC tend to dress for the nights? We have dressed in white for the White Hot party NCL, and my family also has full on pirate outfits/gear for the many Pirate Nights we have attended on DCL. Would we be out of place dressed up in our pirate costumes?

Or are these nights more something where the crew dresses in different outfits for the evening, but passengers tend to just wear whatever they have?

Also, just to confirm, but Formal Night isn't full on ballgown and tuxedo formal, correct? My daughters and I have some gorgeous gowns from past Formal Nights, but sadly, it appears "formal" may no longer mean what it used to 20 years ago, at least on the cruise lines we are familiar with these days. Is it different with the MSC cruises?

Does being in Yacht Club make any difference? Will people in Yacht Club also dress up for themed nights, or is it too insulated and apart from the main dining rooms that no one really participates in that section?

My husband and son-in-law will be thrilled to not bring along another suitcase for our gowns and pirate outfits, but the daughters and I will be kind of disappointed. On the other hand, we don't want to look silly and out of place either (though as my mother would say, "when will we ever see these people again? :D).

I did not see anyone in YC dress up in costume for any night. Most spiffed up a little for elegant night, but did not see a single tux or ball gown. I think one would look and feel silly in costume in YC but if you are into it, go for it. No need to bring tux, or men’s suit, or fancy dress, unless you choose to. But nicer attire for formal nights is nice.

Based on one Divina, one Seaside, each out of Miami

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's your vacation so you dress up or down as you please. More people do dress up on MSC than any other lines, especially Carnival and RCCL.

On this topic I also noticed on our recent cruise on Seaside more men than ever wearing shorts in the MDR throughout the week.

On our January Seaside cruise we did find overall folks stepped up their dress for "formal" nights compared to recent cruises on Royal and Carnival. Very, very few dressed for the them nights. My guess would be 95% would not even be aware theme nights would be taking place in advance so would not come prepared.

• 3 months later...

Does MSC even have a "pirate" night? It must be a new theme night if there is.

MSC markets their cruises world wide and tries to have a percentage of cruisers on each cruise from each geographical market area.

On Gala night, you will see people in beautiful long gowns and men in formal wear. On the other nights, people will still dress for dinner.

Of course, there will be the US cruisers who stand out in their Carnival dinner wear.

Just back from Seaside, August 11th to 18th.

The two elegant nights were a mixed bag. The first one (day 2 of cruise) seemed to have more participation than the second (day 6 of the cruise). This is true for us as well: we dressed up for the first elegant night, then wore smart casual for the second.

White Night seemed, to our eyes, to be a MUCH bigger deal than the elegant nights. This really surprised us as it was a different experience from our other cruises. In some sense, white night seemed to be another elegant night, given the beautiful clothing many people were dressed in.

They had a pirate-themed night on the last cruise day (Nassau), although few people were dressed in any themed costumes aside from a few kids. Likewise, we attended the 70s party and we didn't see much in the way of themed dress, aside from the crew.

"Of course, there will be the US cruisers who stand out in their Carnival dinner wear."

Ha, I used to think like that until I went on my first Carnival cruise this past week, 8 days/nights on the Vista. Granted it is a newer ship and the price point is higher than many of the ships owned by the cruise line, but I found most dressed appropriately at dinner, often exceeding the minimum dress code standards. One morning, I went to wash a few swim suits in the laundry room and found it crammed with young gentleman who looked a little rough around the edges in their morning shorts and tank tops ironing very nice suit pants and dress shirts for that evening's casual night dinner. Expensive clothes. I know this as I have to buy quite a few expensive garments myself for work. The stereotype of everyone heading to dinner in ripped jeans shorts, a basketball jersey and hat on backward didn't hold.

We actually are considering cancelling our Seaside sailing this coming March in favor of an 8 day/night on the horizon instead. A balcony room on that ship is nearly the same price as our Seaside YC Deluxe Suite. Its an extra night with better ports in our opinion but it doesn't include drinks or perks like the Yacht Club.

On the plus side, we enjoy the "fun" vibe Carnival puts out and the fact I can wear shorts at dinner on casual nights and after 6 pm every night. I would bet MSC doesn't have a cruise director who calls himself the Flying Scotsman and wears kilts all cruise long. lol. I like leaving behind my $300 a pair Johnson Murphy wingtips for my $50 Dockers boat shoes on vacation.

But if we do stick with MSC and give it a try, we'll all abide by the rules. Its a different kind of vacation is all. I don't view the frequent Carnival cruisers as automatic country bumpkins or hoodlums because they choose that kind of relaxed, fun atmosphere.

"Of course, there will be the US cruisers who stand out in their Carnival dinner wear."

Ha, I used to think like that until I went on my first Carnival cruise this past week, 8 days/nights on the Vista. Granted it is a newer ship and the price point is higher than many of the ships owned by the cruise line, but I found most dressed appropriately at dinner, often exceeding the minimum dress code standards. One morning, I went to wash a few swim suits in the laundry room and found it crammed with young gentleman who looked a little rough around the edges in their morning shorts and tank tops ironing very nice suit pants and dress shirts for that evening's casual night dinner. Expensive clothes. I know this as I have to buy quite a few expensive garments myself for work. The stereotype of everyone heading to dinner in ripped jeans shorts, a basketball jersey and hat on backward didn't hold.

We actually are considering cancelling our Seaside sailing this coming March in favor of an 8 day/night on the horizon instead. A balcony room on that ship is nearly the same price as our Seaside YC Deluxe Suite. Its an extra night with better ports in our opinion but it doesn't include drinks or perks like the Yacht Club.

On the plus side, we enjoy the "fun" vibe Carnival puts out and the fact I can wear shorts at dinner on casual nights and after 6 pm every night. I would bet MSC doesn't have a cruise director who calls himself the Flying Scotsman and wears kilts all cruise long. lol. I like leaving behind my $300 a pair Johnson Murphy wingtips for my $50 Dockers boat shoes on vacation.

But if we do stick with MSC and give it a try, we'll all abide by the rules. Its a different kind of vacation is all. I don't view the frequent Carnival cruisers as automatic country bumpkins or hoodlums because they choose that kind of relaxed, fun atmosphere.

The "Rules" on MSC are no different then most other cruise lines when it comes to dinner wear. I can tell you first hand that I sailed on MSC Seaside and there were plenty of men wearing shorts in the MDR. The dress is suggested at best and while most men wear long pants there are those like yourself that choose to wear shorts to dinner, at the end of the day as long as they aren't cut off jean shorts who cares. The only issue I have with the dress police is consistency

I just wouldn’t wear shorts because the rules say no shorts after 6pm in any public area on MSC. Carnival the rules say OK on “casual” nights. If some do, fine, but I wouldn’t let myself or my son as a matter of principle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wouldn’t wear shorts because the rules say no shorts after 6pm in any public area on MSC. Carnival the rules say OK on “casual” nights. If some do, fine, but I wouldn’t let myself or my son as a matter of principle.

The dress rules are for the main dining rooms, and mostly for formal nights . Anywhere but main dining room shorts are fine. We did see many people turned away from the dining room that weren't dressed properly. After dinner, buffet shorts are fine.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

White Night was huge on our Seaside cruise and many people dressed for Flower Power :')and some for Gatsby Night (Including me). I didn't know there would be a Pirate Night and I don't think many people did. Italian night was not as big a deal on the Seaside as it was on the Divina. The Entertainment crew was dressed for all theme nights. Bob

The dress rules are for the main dining rooms, and mostly for formal nights . Anywhere but main dining room shorts are fine. We did see many people turned away from the dining room that weren't dressed properly. After dinner, buffet shorts are fine.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

What ship were you on that was turning people away that "weren't dressed properly"? Also can you elaborate on what they were or were not wearing? I can say for certainty that there were a large number of men wearing shorts in the MDR at dinner on MSC Seaside which goes back to my point that there doesn't seem to be consistency within the Fleet or even the staff onboard any particular ship. To be clear here I am not defending the wearing of shorts in the MDR I am only pointing out the obvious.

Hello LakeW-

Can you direct me to where on MSC states ‘no shorts after 6pm in any public area’.

Guess I, and many others, are breaking a rule?

Majority of folks are in shorts 24/7 on trips out of Miami.

Never saw or heard of anyone being called out...even in speciality resturants and in MDR for evening meal.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Are passengers told what theme nights will occur, before the cruise? (Are there notes in the pre-cruise documents?)

Not in advance but you can have your TA call and find out or you can call MC yourself, I have done this and they told me what they were for our cruise.

Our cruise tickets had our theme nights listed.

Out of curiosity I've just had a look at the tickets for our upcoming cruise on Poesia; there's no mention of theme nights (though I'm familiar enough with MSC to not need the info).

There weren't a ton of people dressing up in costume, but there were some. You'll see them more if you go to the late-night themed party. I wore a flapper dress on the first formal night, as it was Great Gatsby. My husband wore slacks, dress shirt and tie, and there were several like that, but I'd say even more men were in suits and tuxes. A lot. I had wanted him to wear a bow-tie, but they were expensive and we didn't plan ahead, so I let him off the hook. There were a few other ladies in 20's style, as well as many men in their suits and hats representing the style. Again - you'll see more of them in the late night party, and there were some costume contests and prizes given away. We saw many very formal dresses and suits on the elegant nights, and also a lot of going to church/wedding type of attire. You will not be out of place whichever way you go. Most ppl did dress a little nicer on the elegant nights, but the rest of the week some still dressed really fancy and some dressed in shorts and flip flops. My husband may or may not have been in the latter group. ;p A lot of ppl dressed for White night - I'd say 70% or so wore white. I was Bella experience, so with the regular folks. :)