Tell me about Azamara

Sujormik

Thinking of doing Alaska next summer. We have sailed on Windstar and a Disney (long ago) but we like the itinerary and (smaller than Princess/HAL etc.) on Quest, Don’t know anything about the line other than generic “it’s great” comments from our TA’s colleague.

So what’s so great about Azamara? We liked Windstar very much but it never felt to me like it met the expectations all my research led me to believe. Like staff knowing everyone’s name or not so great food, or whatever. We had a butler and never even met him.

Anyhow, I really want to like this. Convince me please!😉

Thinking of doing Alaska next summer. We have sailed on Windstar and a Disney (long ago) but we like the itinerary and (smaller than Princess/HAL etc.) on Quest, Don’t know anything about the line other than generic “it’s great” comments from our TA’s colleague.

So what’s so great about Azamara? We liked Windstar very much but it never felt to me like it met the expectations all my research led me to believe. Like staff knowing everyone’s name or not so great food, or whatever. We had a butler and never even met him.

Anyhow, I really want to like this. Convince me please!😉

I would strongly suggest that you read the thread Live - Pursuit, Norway 1-13 August (Maiden Voyage) by Alsun, from beginning to end. She and her husband are 1st time Azamara cruisers, even 1st time cruises of any cruises !! so she gives a very unbiased review throughout and at the end of the journey.

We love Azamara and hope you will get a real feeling for the Azamara experience by taking this little bit of advise .

Thanks, I’ve been reading that thread.

I’m still a little concerned that we won’t have a chance to go to Glacier Bay, available pretty much only on Princess and HAL. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Ah well, that’s a different question and I can’t answer it....but someone on this forum will be able to.

I’m still a little concerned that we won’t have a chance to go to Glacier Bay, available pretty much only on Princess and HAL. Anyone have thoughts on this?

The parent company was caught after committing significant environmental violations in Glacier Bay. The settlement involved a large sum of money and an agreement excluding Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines from entering Glacier Bay. I think it involved oil spills.

Glacier Bay is STUNNING - and, IMHO, a not to be missed site. Aside from the fact that it is a UNESCO site, aside from the fact that it is a National Park, it is an absolutely beautiful experience. Yes - it is cold; it can be rainy; I've never see any glacier "calve" -- but the visits I've had are brilliant in my memory. Truly .. a wonderful, magnificent place to experience!

We migrated from Disney to Azamara.

Kids grew up and we prioritized future cruising based upon:

1. Destinations - obviously 'where it goes' but also how close do you get ? We berthed right in Monte Carlo 2 years ago - others were VERY far away. We berthed in Dubrovnik harbour last summer, a short tender from the city. Other ships berthed at an industrial facility miles away and bussed in. It’s nice to travel back and forth to the vessel throughout the day.

2. Ship size - we've cruised on larger vessels, didn't like the distances between venues or anonymity onboard. You'll see the same people on an Azamara ship a few times a day. The larger ships feel like a mall.

3. Azamara team - Really not #3 on priorities [human interactions should be first], but appears on the list here because it's the one constant on Azamara. They've nailed it. Expect to meet room attendant(s), they'll determine your likes/dislikes, etc.

4. Dining - Never enjoyed assigned seating and prefer the Azamara way (lots of info on that elsewhere).

As for Alaska, have only sailed on Disney and what I call their 'half Alaska' itinerary. Seattle/Vancouver up to Skagway and back. If we do it again, prefer to head all the way up to Anchorage, fly down to Seattle then home. Ship up, plane down. Never enjoy retracing steps and imagine the terrain changes as you go further north. That's a personal preference.

Thank you Tondakea, for us it has mainly been about size of ship. Our previous cruise was on Windstar which had 200 guests so I think the 600 here will feel big! We’ve debated back and forth about Glacier Bay, and I’m sad we won’t get there, but we HAVE decided on Azamara for this trip. It’s more money but I feel like the value will be there. Hopefully the prices won’t go down, or if they do we will benefit from that!

I appreciate everyone helping me out! I guess I’ll start a roll call.

I suppose I am not much different than many others who cruise on larger ships before trying out Azamara. I'm worried about being bored on the sea days. I suppose I figure the worst case scenario is relaxing on four sea days and spending time on the balcony and by the pool. I'll probably use some OBC for the T pool as well. We're doing this for the itinerary and we still love the medium size ship and even the mega ships.

On AZ you will probably have quite a bit of opportunity to interact with the senior staff (Captain, Hotel Director, Cruise Director), as they circulate regularly through the ship and host events. You will not be called by your name (too many passengers) except by your cabin attendant, who will do a very good job. Big special difference: Passengers on AZ are super friendly and the design of the ship and schedule of activities allow for lots of interaction. It's a very friendly atmosphere.

You will also be called by your name by the waiters in Discoveries (MDR) and in the speciality restaurants.

On sea days there are activities - trivia quizzes, lectures, sometimes painting classes, IT classes, sometimes a bridge group, table tennis, darts, deck games, with at least one ‘tournament’ on a sea day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums