Power strips

Dsciorti

Another consideration for some of us is traveling with a CPAP. While CEL will provide an extension chord, it still means taking up an outlet overnight. I typically pack a power strip and sometimes it's been ok, and sometimes I have to make a trip to security. My favorite device now is a combo 4-outlet and 4 USB port outlet. It's great for travel, but I have not taken it on a cruise. At least I'm not bringing an iron on board.

Mike

Edited by MJL

If you decide to get a USB hub make sure it is a "charging" hub, NOT a data hub. They look similar and the data hubs are much cheaper but won't charge your devices or could damage them. The Charging hubs need to be plugged into an electrical outlet not another USB outlet. Here is an example of the correct hub: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018S6X92I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you can't find a 2 prong outlet (eg the Cooper one posted by cruisestich), and you can only buy a 3 prong outlet (eg. the one I posted), you either cut off the third prong or you can purchase a 3 to 2 prong adapter for less than $1 at most hardware stores....since many old houses in the US still have 2 prong outlets.

If you can't find a 2 prong outlet (eg the Cooper one posted by cruisestich), and you can only buy a 3 prong outlet (eg. the one I posted), you either cut off the third prong or you can purchase a 3 to 2 prong adapter for less than $1 at most hardware stores....since many old houses in the US still have 2 prong outlets.

Not sure why you would want to cut off the ground prong, or use a 3 to 2 prong adapter. Just because a device has a three prong plug does not mean it is surge protected, and the ground prong is there for your safety. Many people have misinterpreted my statements regarding 2 prong plugs and surge protection. A device with a 2 prong plug cannot be surge protected. However, the presence of a third prong does not indicate surge protection, just that the device may be surge protected. Typically, even lines like Celebrity and RCI that ban all extension cords and power strips will allow "pure" USB charging hubs (no power outlets).

Another consideration for some of us is traveling with a CPAP. While CEL will provide an extension chord, it still means taking up an outlet overnight. I typically pack a power strip and sometimes it's been ok, and sometimes I have to make a trip to security. My favorite device now is a combo 4-outlet and 4 USB port outlet. It's great for travel, but I have not taken it on a cruise. At least I'm not bringing an iron on board.

Mike

I am in the same situation. I have never had to discuss this with security, so I assume they are starting to enforce the rules regarding the power strip. I have been on some newer ships that actually provided an extra outlet near the bed for CPAP devices, but as you know that is rare. Thanks for you post since it appears I may need to carefully select a power strip to bring.

My palm centro is my lifeblood since I sync it to Outlook. This is the only phone available to sync with Outlook without needing a plan with data.

I would question the validity of this just so there are no surprises. Are you planning on using cell service from the ship to download your email?