Star Clipper Athens to Istanbul 8/10/12

Charlotte girl

Hi Charlotte Girl. Yes, you can look at the Star Clippers Website, but I think you are interested in getting Feedback from someone who was on the ship and not advertising. I did your tour last year ( this year the tour is August 11, yes?). It was fantastic. I'll try to do a report for you. Try this link. It is my Report for tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k4673328-Athens_and_the_north_Aegean_Sea_July2011-Greece.html#34915112

Hi Toni, really enjoyed your report on Athens and the Greek Islands. Now I have to look for your Istanbul report. Did you get a taxi/guide there? Thinking of doing that as my bad back is a problem with a lot of walking. Will that work? You didn't say much about the ship. I have been on the Royal Clipper twice, but never the Star Clipper or the Star Flyer. Did you find it crowded at all? I know it's smaller.

The ships are never crowded. I've been on them 6 times now - all three and love it love itloveitloveit....

sorry I get excited. My report for Turkey is hidden. I'll try to get it. Will try to find more about the ship. I feel so at home now on the ships, that I don't write much about them...Till later!

In Istanbul, as you will read, we did a quickie because our Plane left at 2 pm. We organized with Backpackers. We were satisfied. They picked us up at the ship, took us to their office where we paid for the services and left our luggage. We were shown a little of Istanbul on the way from the ship. We wanted to do the Old Town per Foot. Then we went back to the office and took off for the airport.

Hi Toni, you're so great! The only person who has responded to my post. Thank you so much. I enjoyed your report on Turkey and it helped a lot with decisions about excursions. will definitely do the Pergamon. Wondering about Troy. I lived in Izmire many years ago and there was nothing at Troy beyond the wooden horse. Very disappointing. Is this archeological dig and so forth fairly recent? I was planning to skip Troy based on the past experience. I totally adore the Royal Clipper but had read some things about the dining room being cramped and uncomfortable, problems with the piano bar, Tropical bar, etc. being too small and crowded. This seemed strange. Maybe just a very grumpy person?? What are your thoughts?

Your on foot tour in Istanbul would be heaven but my back can't take much walking. How long a walk would you estimate it is between the sites there? I understand taxis can't go in that area. True? thanks again!!!! You are great.:D

No Taxis, but I don't know ahow the private Taxitours run. It's not how long the walk is, it's how much you want to see. It could be quite a hassel, if you have a bad back. Think about a private Taxi tour. How are your flights??? Write a private message if you need more tips! OOps, noe Prvate message here.....

Have a nice weekend! Whrere...where are you guys???

Hi again, I am looking at taxi tours but they can't get close to the "big four" in a taxi as they say there are no streets. I lived in Turkey for a year and spent a few weeks in Istanbul. Saw all those places then of course, but don't remember the details of streets and distances and certainly didn't have a taxi!! DID have a much younger back that was fine. (nearly 30 years ago)

I am in Charlotte, NC; where are you? would LOVE more tips. Thanks again!!!:D

Hi again, Toni,

Yes, if you go back and look at my earlier post, you'll see some questions about Troy. I would really appreciate your thoughts on that as we don't want to waste money, time, energy going to a site that has only what I saw there before: a few stones on the ground! And a fake wooden horse. Also what about Patmos and Kos? What's important/interesting/fun to see there? Is an excursion a good idea or can you just enjoy looking about the town on your own? You are really a lot of help! Thanks!:)

Hello! As I said, we did Troy. The fake horse is still there, with people letting themselves be fotographed. I am assuming, they have done some work on the place. It was a bit more than a few stones, but if you have been there, it is problably not that exciting. Please keep in mind, that I had never been to Greece. For a short trip it was okay. Kos is an interesting little town. We walked all over and loved the cosiness. Everything within walking distance to the ship - well, we tendered. Ruins directly in the middle of town. Patmos - here you have to do some walking. We loved the Cave and the Monastery. We did our excursions with the Star Flyer. They had great Guides for us. BUT keep in mind, you can choose your language for the excursion. French, German and English. We always chose German. They had great guides who knew the language. I have no idea how it was for the english-speaking passengers. My mother language ist english, but I've been living here for over 40 years now. Keep asking questions! I'm online everyday!

Toni

Hi Toni, Thanks for the additional info. I'd love to hear more details about which excursions you took and how you felt about them. When it's possible to see the town on our own I always prefer that, but if the really interesting stuff is too far away to walk, then private taxi is often good. If it's several things, then an excursion is really necessary I guess. I think they are overpriced! Another question: did you spend any time on beaches? If so, which ones where?? You're a great help!!! Thanks.:)

first of all, no beaches. I think for the small islands you'll be alright with walking around the town. But ich you want to do more, a taxi might be useful, because of your back.

Have a nice weekend. I'm a bit busy - just booked a trip on the Amazonian River.

The Amazon sounds very exciting! So, from what you say, we will not really need bathing suits, beach shoes, etc. Right? (no interest in the bathtub sized pools on the ship!) What sites in Istanbul would you say are over-rated and too crowded - therefor skipworthy? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Charlotte

Have a great sail!!! You are on you way, soon. And as the Germans say, we wish you a "Handbreit Wasser unterem Kiel". That means, you should have enough water under the boat, so that you don't run aground.....:o. Well, my English ist't what it used to be....

Take care!!!

Muskatnuss. Have only just noticed from your post of the 20th July that you are on the Star Flyer in August. We are too -18th-25th Oslo - Hamburg and 25th-1st September Hamburg - Southampton. Are you on one of those (with us) by any chance?

Archived