STARCLIPPERS-Royal Clipper 19th August 2009

barry3040

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anybody out there on this cruise?

We're from Toronto.

I'm sure there must be more people on board.

Can you imagine the service we will get with just 2 staterooms filled!

Most people are probably waitiing until the time gets closer, but I must admit it's very strange.

Joyce:confused:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Joyce, as there are only 4 of us on board, which side of the ship do you want?

cheers

If I had known I would have booked a cat. 6 and moved up. Now I want both owner's suites. One for my husband and 1 of me. This way, I can dress in peace and make believe I'm sneaking into a stranger's room when I want his :pcompany!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just came across this wonderful site.

We were passengers on this cruise.

My opinion on the cruise-

B - Check in

A - Ship

A - Passengers (Mainly British/German/French/American)

C - Cuisine

B - Cabin

A - Cabin service

C - Dining room service

C - Entertainment

B - Sports activities

B - Tender service

A - Itinerary

The Royal Clipper is a great sailing ship and we enjoyed the cruise very much. Could improve on the food and service within the dining room.

• 3 months later...

I assume you had a great time. We are about to book the 11 day Rome to Venice trip. Just wondering what the itinerary was like. I know what the ports of call are but wonder if all the travel takes place at night or do you get to enjoy some of the, what I imagine is only spectacular, scenery during the day as well. Would appreciate any feedback - thanks!

Hi

Just came across your post.

We did the Venice to Rome route which was 10 days - stopped at Rovinj, Hvar, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Taormina, Capri and Ponza - all amazing stops. I believe the 11 days includes Korcula which I have been to on a previous cruise and is also beautiful. Most of the travel does take place at night, but enters and departs most stops at good times which enables you to see the scenery. Also the night you are tarvelling between Ponza and Taormina, you should be able to see Stromboli, an active volcano. For me the most spectacular scenery on the cruise was entering and departing the Bay of Kotor in Montenegro. You should get up early in the morning to see this - well worthwhile. Dubrovnik is also spectacular from the ship. Let me know what else you want to know.

The Royal Clipper is a fabulous ship.

Hi Barry,

Thanks so much for your response and info. I'm also wondering about the various ports and activities while there. Did you do any of the ship's excursions or did you just do your own thing - would you recommend/not recommend anything(s) in particular? I plan on researching all the ports to see what we shouldn't miss. Not really big on shopping so that might limit some of the activities. Also, are you able to get back to ship easily from shore (ie.anytime you're ready or only certain scheduled times)? Thanks for the help - can you tell we've never been on a cruise?!:o

Hi,

We too went on a Venice to Rome trip last Sept/Oct and can endorse everything Barry says - it was a great experience. To deal with your questions:

• There are not many ships excursions in most ports and you can see the list on their website. It's on the 'Ports of Call' page. We found that the excursions were quite often cancelled due to lack of support.
  • In most ports it was very easy to do your own thing and explore at your own pace. We found that we were able to get a good feel for places like Dubrovnik and Kotor without needing an organised tour. All the ports - apart from Corfu - are tender ports and they run a regular and fairly frequent tender service all day.
  • We did a couple of the ship's trips; both of which I would recommend, but for different reasons.

The first was in Taormina and involved time in the town, lunch in a vineyard on the slopes of Mount Etna and a brief drive around the immediate area with an excellent guide providing an interesting commentary. We were blessed with wondeful weather and were able to enjoy aperitifs and digestifs in the gardens of the vineyard owner's house. An excellent day.

The second was on Capri. Capri is small, congested and very hectic. There are lots of day trippers from the mainland and it can get very busy. The ship's tour involved a boat ride round the island - but not to the Blue Grotto - which was very good. We were then bussed up to Anacapri and offered the choice of a cable car ride to the highest point on the island - it's a 12 minute single seater ride - or a visit to a historic house and gardens. We did the latter and it was pleasant but uninspiring. We were then bussed down to Capri itself, issued with funicular railway tickets and left to wander at our own pace. The funicular takes you right back to the port where the tenders run all day. I would recommend this trip as possible the best way of seeing Capri; we felt we saw a lot and were grateful that it had been organised for us. To do Capri under one's own steam could be tricky I suspect.

I hope this helps and do enjoy the trip when it comes round.

Hi Barry,

Did you do any of the ship's excursions or did you just do your own thing - would you recommend/not recommend anything(s) in particular? I plan on researching all the ports to see what we shouldn't miss. Not really big on shopping so that might limit some of the activities. Also, are you able to get back to ship easily from shore (ie.anytime you're ready or only certain scheduled times)? Thanks for the help - can you tell we've never been on a cruise?!:o

Archived