Tipping on ocean cruise

Shirleygibbs

It is extremely rare that Viking will ever comment publicly about its business decisions or business operations and they never take part in debates and discussions here on Cruise Critic. It is a privately-held company and is not required to explain itself to anyone except its handful of investors. Just read the few press releases that are posted on the Viking website and you will see how carefully the Viking message is controlled. This is the business model that Viking has chosen and if any of us here in this public forum don't like their business model, we are welcome not to cruise with them. No matter how controversial we think the topic, we are not entitled to answers or explanations and Viking management is not crazy enough to get into a shooting match with a bunch bloggers on social media.

If you don't like the way that Viking handles gratuities, you make ask to have them removed from your bill and then you may tip anyone you wish however you wish.

I guess you are right.

I was wondering if anyone ever contacted Viking or any other cruise line directly to ask about the way they distribute the service charges? Would be interesting to hear what they say.

I guess you are right.

I was wondering if anyone ever contacted Viking or any other cruise line directly to ask about the way they distribute the service charges? Would be interesting to hear what they say.

My guess is that the cruise lines will not say anything in response to an inquiry from the public for fear of having what should be private correspondence spread all over the internet in no time at all, thus making matters even worse as they are misunderstood and misquoted. I would expect that whatever they put in writing would in the politest terms possible not answer the question directly and merely repeat whatever verbiage is already in the public domain.

It seems that most (if not all) cruises that are booked from the US have the same tipping policy as Viking, although the amounts might be different. Some European lines may include tips in the initial price. As to what salaries are paid to which employees or how the gratuities are divided is not interesting to me and I doubt the cruise lines would reveal it anyway. The employees accept the employment contracts knowing what to expect. It is what it is. What I do find interesting is that many of the Viking staff I spoke with moved to Viking from other cruise lines, indicating Viking must be advantageous with their offers.

Anyone wishing to forego the stated tipping policy and set up their own tipping or not tipping policy is welcome to do so on any of the ships.

A tipping issue I would like advice from other cruisers about is as follows -

If you give an additional gratuity to an individual crew member for excellent service and/or good nature, are they required by the cruise line or ship to share with others of their group (IE servers in the buffet, room stewards or other groups)?

If the answer is no, is their pressure from others in their work group to share?

Note: I always in leaving a tip for our cabin attendant suggest that they share with their assistant.

I have also found that early tipping to crew members, that have proven to be worth an extra gratuity, is appreciated and often results in more of the same for the rest of the cruise. Remember they may use that early extra on some port time off the ship activity.

One final note - a "did you enjoy your cruise" may be a subtle request for a gratuity,

but often is a hoped for mention in your end of cruise comments survey which can result in promotions and/or future contracts.

I guess you are right.

Although I don't have specific experience with Viking, you will generally find that a detailed list of who is included in the tip pool is rarely promulgated. At best they normally respond with a generic hotel service staff.

Even as a Senior 2nd Officer with another cruise line, our son was not privy to this information.

It seems that most (if not all) cruises that are booked from the US have the same tipping policy as Viking, although the amounts might be different. Some European lines may include tips in the initial price. As to what salaries are paid to which employees or how the gratuities are divided is not interesting to me and I doubt the cruise lines would reveal it anyway. The employees accept the employment contracts knowing what to expect. It is what it is. What I do find interesting is that many of the Viking staff I spoke with moved to Viking from other cruise lines, indicating Viking must be advantageous with their offers.

Anyone wishing to forego the stated tipping policy and set up their own tipping or not tipping policy is welcome to do so on any of the ships.

An interesting point to note that Viking is not consistent with the tipping policy, as on World Cruises, it is included in the base fare.

Ok- I’ve read all the posts on tipping. This is our first Viking cruise although we’ve cruised with Princess and Norwegian. We always give something extra to our room steward, however not so in restaurants. I understand that bar and spa include a gratuity. I agree with the $15pp/day but am really confused on what is standard additional gratuity on Viking. Can anyone let me know how we should plan for additional gratuities?

You can plan for zero. ADDITIONAL onboard.

We always pay the charged amount for entire crew tips.

On Ocean since we don't get to know servers as well as on more intimate single dining area river, my wife tips the room stewards whom she gets to know in euro bills.

We do bring euros or other country money to tip our tour guides, bus driver & pay for toilets, etc. Viking will make change for EURO bills onboard. Most European shops prefer charge cards even for small dollar amounts.