YVR Process

bUU

Could someone please provide a short narrative of the process we will undergo as we return from our cruise, taking a flight from Vancouver to Atlanta? I'm most interested in what will have to do in terms of managing our own luggage from the time we're dropped off at the airport from our transfer from the cruise port to the time we finally relinquish our checked baggage whenever and wherever that actually takes place. The complicating Factor here is that we would like to have dinner at the Fairmont Hotel. As I understand it from other posts, it would not be possible for us to check our bags and then go and have dinner. Is that correct?

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

When you go to the airport at Vancouver.

You check in at the counter for the airline you fly.

You then walk over to another area where you turn in your luggage.

You then go through Security.

You then go through USA immigration and customs.

And then you go to your gate.

Whew! LOL.

Keith

Keith has the steps laid out perfectly - in theory you could head back to the Fairmont before going through Security, as your bags are linked to you so that whenever you hit US CBP to answer Customs questions they can ID them (and of course pull them if they don't like your answers!) Re: your Q, bags are snapped by a camera and their image appears on-screen at CBP (sometimes you get asked to confirm 'are these your bags?') - if you owe them duty or they don't like your answers they might pull the bags and open them to verify exactly what you're bringing in.

How much delay there can be before your bags get sent on to be loaded I have no idea - there's obviously some stretch in the process as getting through security can take moments or an hour, but I really would not like to recommend going for dinner and then coming back... CBP can be total a**holes at the best of times, so doing anything that might make their life harder in any way may result in you getting the special 'White Glove' treatment. They don't stay white for long;-)

Frankly if you have time for a good dinner before Security, then you have time before even starting the process and it's not like the Fairmont could not keep hold of your bags during dinner - they're a fancy hotel with bell staff, and enough folks go for afternoon tea before flying (with suitcases in tow) that they are used to having folks trundling bags come eat there.

So you don't go through customs with your luggage? Interesting.

For US departures, you drop off your bags first, then go through security and US border check. So theoretically, you could drop off your bags and go for dinner before going through security, etc. I would worry about having enough time for dinner at the Fairmont, then returning to (possibly) a long line at security and border checks. But, I'm a worrier.

I think the deciding factor will be what time your airline will allow you to check in. Some will not allow before 4 hours prior to the flight, some are 3 hours. Some don't care. So... I think you need to go to the check in counter and see if they will accept your bags and allow you to check in for your flight, and then decide if there is time for dinner. As mentioned, the security and US pre-check lines can be long.

So you don't go through customs with your luggage? Interesting.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

That is correct.

Martincath has excellent points. I wondered why you didn't just have dinner first. Whatever you do give yourself about two and one half hours at the airport before the flight.

Keith

To clarify.... what time is that YVR flight to Atlanta? Don't you need to be checking 3hrs before the flight?

Fairmont Dinner after dropping bags?

While possible for non-USA flights.... I think with US flights you must continue to the secured area after check in. That is...

• US check-in
  • drop off checked luggage
  • security screening
  • US customs

There is no opportunity to visit the Fairmont after check-in to your flight. Can anyone confirm?

To clarify.... what time is that YVR flight to Atlanta? Don't you need to be checking 3hrs before the flight?

Fairmont Dinner after dropping bags?

While possible for non-USA flights.... I think with US flights you must continue to the secured area after check in. That is...

• US check-in
  • drop off checked luggage
  • security screening
  • US customs

There is no opportunity to visit the Fairmont after check-in to your flight. Can anyone confirm?

I have never seen anyone made to continue through to security after check-in. If this is a regulation, then it's certainly not well enforced. Also, you can check-in online the day before, print boarding passes and enter the security line whenever you want within the time-frame recommended by the airline. We do this all the time (at least a couple of times a year). Edited by ell52
additional info