Hemingway Home—Can you pet the cats?

megessey

Yes, for the ones who want it! In other words, they don't prevent you from petting them, but not all of them want it. My son hung out with some kitties in the back area when we were there, playing with some long leaf type grass thing, they were jumping on it like string. He was having a blast with them.

And they really are so cute!!

16161235976_23716f6c25.jpg

Sleeping kitty by Cindy, on Flickr

Hemingway House is a great visit for cat lovers, history buffs and anyone interested in learning about one of the truly great writers of the 20th century. The "cat cemetery" is a sad little place on the property. The attraction is a very easy and scenic walk from Mallory Square. There is a great restaurant right around the corner called Ocean Bar and Grill - a little pricey but very good. For Hemingway House fans, there is a new movie coming out soon called "The Leisure Seekers" that features the house.

Enjoy your visit and the cool cats who live there.

There is a relatively new and very good book about the years Ernest spent in Key West with his second wife, Pauline - Unbelievable Happiness and Final Sorrow: The Hemingway-Pfeiffer Marriage by Ruth Hawkins. And kind of related, Hemingway and Bimini: The Birth of Sport Fishing at "The End of the World" by Ashley Oliphant. A great read even for people not too interested in sport fishing. This is the dedication...

"To my Heavenly father -- for designing a place like Bimini with beauty that exceeds the bounds of human imagination and for gifting me with the privilege of telling her remarkable story. And to my earthly father -- for taking his little girl fishing."

Pjk

• 3 weeks later...

You can for sure pet the cats! I did with each one that would let me! We were obsessed with getting a good photo of their toes which they did not enjoy as much as chin scratches. Beautiful house and grounds but the cats were my favorite part!

That house is nice. Very airy and can catch the breezes from the ocean, but hopefully you will be able to visit the one in Cuba some day.

havana%2C%20cuba%2C%20032214%20to%20033014%20044-M.jpg

There is a book there that has all of the congratulatory letters he received after winning the Nobel Prize for literature

havana%2C%20cuba%2C%20032214%20to%20033014%20046-M.jpg

The pool area

havana%2C%20cuba%2C%20032214%20to%20033014%20054-M.jpg

And of course...

havana%2C%20cuba%2C%20032214%20to%20033014%20059-M.jpg

Pjk

• 3 weeks later...
There is a sign at front gate where you pay that says not to "Pick UP" the cats, nothing about petting. Everyone tried, most of them were not receptive to attention at all. We were there last week.

Come back an hour later and they will have changed their minds.;)

Mike:)

• 4 weeks later...

The guide at the house told us you were allowed to pet, but not pick up any cats. As mentioned, not all cats there want to be petted, but my two teenage grandkids (who have three cats at home), settled themselves quietly near a couple of kitties who eventually came over to them for petting.

I’ll be honest with you, that’s all I and my daughter want to do in Key West :D;p

Go to the Hemingway house? Or pet cats? Because if all you want to do in Key West is pet cats, you don't need to go to the HH for that!

• 1 month later...

As long as they want to be petted there is no issue. We went last year on the Meow Meow Cruise, which is a cruise group for cat lovers. I think they are doing key west again in 2019. I had one cute teen kitty follow me around and jump on my lap the whole time there. Such an adorable cat. Many of them allowed me to pet them.