Hotels?

parttimr

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! My family and I are wanting to find a hotel in New Orleans for April 28th. We will be on the Dream April 29th. We have never been to NOLA. We will be driving, so we would love to find a decent hotel that offers parking and shuttle to the port. We would like to stay around or under $150...is this doable, and does anyone's have a good suggestion? We are also open to a hotel via Hotwire and then parking/shuttle service. Can someone who had been to NOA help me out? Thank you! ❤️

Hi! My family and I are wanting to find a hotel in New Orleans for April 28th. We will be on the Dream April 29th. We have never been to NOLA. We will be driving, so we would love to find a decent hotel that offers parking and shuttle to the port. We would like to stay around or under $150...is this doable, and does anyone's have a good suggestion? We are also open to a hotel via Hotwire and then parking/shuttle service. Can someone who had been to NOA help me out? Thank you! ❤️

Unfortunately New Orleans doesn't have any perfect stay and cruise options. There's one that requires you to book two nights. There's one that has a shuttle but charges for parking. There are a couple with parking but no shuttle. There's one with parking, a shuttle to the port, but no shuttle back from the port.

Prices near the port are sky high that weekend so something is going on. Your best bet may be to stay out of town, park at fulton garage, and take their free shuttle to/from the port.

I don't know where you're coming from..but say you're coming from the North. On hotwire in Slidell, La you could book the 2.5 star with 80% recommendation..it'll be the microtel. Looks pretty decent and has free breakfast. Then you drive to fulton garage and park there. They have a free shuttle to and from the port. Fulton for the duration of your trip would be $83 for rooftop parking or $106 for covered. The hotel came to $87 after tax so that and rooftop parking at fulton would be $170 total. You can book the parking at neworleansparking.com

Thank you, Saint George! We are fine with parking at the garage. That sounds like a good option for us. We are coming from Alabama. We prefer to actually stay a bit out of town, so I will look into that like you suggested and find something on our route that is close. :)

Unfortunately New Orleans doesn't have any perfect stay and cruise options. There's one that requires you to book two nights. There's one that has a shuttle but charges for parking. There are a couple with parking but no shuttle. There's one with parking, a shuttle to the port, but no shuttle back from the port.

Prices near the port are sky high that weekend so something is going on. Your best bet may be to stay out of town, park at fulton garage, and take their free shuttle to/from the port.

I don't know where you're coming from..but say you're coming from the North. On hotwire in Slidell, La you could book the 2.5 star with 80% recommendation..it'll be the microtel. Looks pretty decent and has free breakfast. Then you drive to fulton garage and park there. They have a free shuttle to and from the port. Fulton for the duration of your trip would be $83 for rooftop parking or $106 for covered. The hotel came to $87 after tax so that and rooftop parking at fulton would be $170 total. You can book the parking at neworleansparking.com

Hi Saint Greg,

I'm planning to be in NOLA post-cruise from 11/11 to 11/13/2018. I checked out Hotwire and saw a Hot Rate 4*, French Quarter, Bourbon Street, 90% recommended, free internet, bed choices for $110. (90% recommended 70 reviews.) Trip Advisor 1001-1500 reviews. Any idea what hotel this is?

Also saw another Hot Rate on Hotwire 4.5*, French Quarter, Bourbon Street, Boutique Hotel, 90% recommended, free internet $188. (90% recommended - 314 reviews), Trip Advisor 2000+ reviews. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!

-- Am

Hi Saint Greg,

I'm planning to be in NOLA post-cruise from 11/11 to 11/13/2018. I checked out Hotwire and saw a Hot Rate 4*, French Quarter, Bourbon Street, 90% recommended, free internet, bed choices for $110. (90% recommended 70 reviews.) Trip Advisor 1001-1500 reviews. Any idea what hotel this is?

Also saw another Hot Rate on Hotwire 4.5*, French Quarter, Bourbon Street, Boutique Hotel, 90% recommended, free internet $188. (90% recommended - 314 reviews), Trip Advisor 2000+ reviews. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!

-- Am

That 4* is The Saint on Canal Street. That 4.5* is Royal Sonesta on Bourbon Street.

A couple of good values I see that you may want to also consider.

The 4* French Quarter/Miss River 90% rec for $86 is Hilton Riverside.

The 3.5* French Quarter/Bourbon Street 90% rec for $98 is Wyndham French Quarter

Hi Saint Greg,

I booked the Hilton Riverside for $86 per night. Thanks again! Could you advise me on the best way to get to the hotel from the cruise port? It looks like a doable walk, but one person in my party has an issue with walking more than a few blocks. Are taxis readily available at the port? Would you know of a reliable taxi service to travel from the hotel to other parts of the city? How about any good tour companies?

Thank you.

-- Am

Hi Saint Greg,

I booked the Hilton Riverside for $86 per night. Thanks again! Could you advise me on the best way to get to the hotel from the cruise port? It looks like a doable walk, but one person in my party has an issue with walking more than a few blocks. Are taxis readily available at the port? Would you know of a reliable taxi service to travel from the hotel to other parts of the city? How about any good tour companies?

Thank you.

-- Am

Have you considered using the streetcar system to get around town? You can get an unlimited ride pass for $3/person/day. There’s a stop right in front of the hotel. There are always cabs outside of both Hilton Riverside and the port. I want to say it’s an $8 cab ride. They may charge for additional riders. You can walk through a mall. I cover all the routes in the thread I linked below. If you wanted to do it but one person couldn’t do the entire way, that person could always take the streetcar down to the end of the mall and meet you there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2562162

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-orleans-tours/

I’ve seen these hop on hop off buses around town lately. I’ve never used them In New Orleans but I used it in London and it was great for sightseeing...and for just getting around. The buses hit every stop every 30 mins and you get off whenever you want..get back on whenever you want.

http://www.citysightseeingneworleans.com/

Edited by Saint Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I have literally spent months trying to decide where to stay. We have finally decided on a group booking at the Omni Royal Orleans. I just can't pass up the rooftop heated pool.Saint Greg what are some must-do activities and must eat at restaurants and bars in the area? Thank you:)

I have literally spent months trying to decide where to stay. We have finally decided on a group booking at the Omni Royal Orleans. I just can't pass up the rooftop heated pool.Saint Greg what are some must-do activities and must eat at restaurants and bars in the area? Thank you:)

Sorry I was on the Breeze last week and I'm just getting caught up at work. That's a great choice I love that rooftop pool and bar area. Really you're surrounded by some of the best restaurants right there. Antoine's, K-Pauls, Brennan's all within a block. Johnny's po boys just down the street is a popular sandwich place. If you go up Decatur Street, Central Grocery is where the Muffuletta was invented. Those are huge. Of course you have to do Cafe Du Monde for breakfast at least once. This is good for restaurant ratings. Scroll down to French Quarter. Those will be the ones in your area.

https://nomenu.com/?page_id=41504

\

Some bars I would hit.

right across the street:

http://www.napoleonhouse.com/history/

about three blocks away in Hotel Monteleone

https://hotelmonteleone.com/entertainment/carousel-bar/

about three blocks away by St. Louis Cathedral

http://www.piratesalleycafe.com/whoweare.html

about two blocks away on St. Peter. Also a Bourbon Steet entrance. If I'm staying in the area and the Saints have a late game I like to stop in the bar on the bourbon street side for a couple hurricanes. The other side has a piano bar.

http://www.patobriens.com/patobriens/havefun/our_story.asp

This is if you want a burger and baked potato. It's across the street from the St. Peter entrance to Pat O's

https://www.yelp.com/biz/port-st-peter-new-orleans

about 7 blocks away on Bourbon Street

http://www.lafittesblacksmithshop.com/AboutUs.html

This one is a hike but the name fits the trip. It's another good burger/baked potato place. Drink a monsoon if you do go.

https://portofcallnola.com/

Things to do

I posted some links to tours and stuff a couple posts up. Some things to check out. St. Louis Cathedral, Jackson Square, French Market...maybe Steamboat Natchez. I'd take a ride on the St. Charles Streetcar through the Garden District. If you can get over there the WWII museum is great. I'd plan 5 hours for that if you do go. The aquarium isn't far. Mardi Gras World if you're in the port area. If you're up early when the ship is coming in I like to watch that from by the riverfront gazebo...next to the Steamboat Natchez. Which is a short walk from your hotel. You'd probably have a good view from your rooftop as well.

OhJ38qBGlQc

• 5 weeks later...

We are traveling on the Dream on June 10th and looking for a reasonable hotel nearby for the night before. Any recommendations? Also we booked the Hotel Royal New Orleans for a couple nights on they way back, is that a good hotel!! Thanks for any advice!!

Looking for a place to stay easy access to port and French quarter. October 12 for one night with three adults. Flying in so no car. I see a lot of people use Hotwire and get Hilton riverside. Is that a pretty good location and easy to get to things and port with no car? I have never used hot wire before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are booked at the Hilton for November . We used Hotwire and got the hotel for $100 (includes the tax ) . If you check Hotwire's website it is a 4 star French Quarter/Mississippi River hotel . You do prepay so if you need something cancellable this probably isn't for you . We also get the insurance which is $4 per day . We have used this site many times successfully .Hope this helps .

Saint Greg .. is the Omni Royal Orleans ever on Hotwire or Priceline?

On hotwire yes. I know it was on there as recent as last year. I haven't booked priceline in New Orleans in a long time...8-10 years..because I usually need a two bed room and they book single.

Nov 9 and 10 :)

It’s not any of their hot rate hotels for those nights. At least not now. Could always change. But with the prices they have for that weekend now...I’m guessing they have a low supply, high demand situation going on.

Saint Greg can you help me out. Found Hilton Riverside with taxes for Oct 13 (three adults) for $249 a night. Flying in so wanting to stay close to port and sightseeing. Should I hold out for cheaper price as dates get closer or any recommendations on what to book? We will not have a car.I don't care if we stay at Omni or Hilton but won't have a car so just trying to stay close to port and activities unless you can recommend something. Didn't really want to pay that much.