Azamara wine-by-the-bottle list

joeinsb

My wife and I always enjoy the complimentary wines on Azamara, but we also like the occasional glass of Champagne or sparkling wine, so for our next cruise we are considering buying one of the packages that gives you so many bottles of wine priced under $50 for a flat rate. The Azamara web site says the list of wines under $50 includes five sparkling wines, but there is no indication of which brands are offered. Does anyone have a current wine-by-the-bottle list for Azamara? The most recent one I could find by doing a topic search was from 2012, and I suspect those prices are out of date.

We particularly enjoy the Domaine Chandon sparkling wine, and the last time we were on Azamara, I think the bottle price was $49, but I don't know if that wine is still under $50.

I'd also like to know how the bottle package system works. Do you buy all the bottles up front or as you go along on the cruise? Also, can the bottles be purchased anywhere on the ship (like the back deck, pool bar or bow lounge) or only in the dining room? If I don't finish the bottle, can it be stored for me, as you can do with regular wine bottle purchases?

We have never bought the package on previous cruises. In the past, we have just bought glasses of Champagne when we were in the mood for one, but it appears the bottle package would be a much better deal financially as long as it's easy enough to get a bottle anywhere on the ship.

Any information from recent or current Azamara passengers would be appreciated.

My wife and I always enjoy the complimentary wines on Azamara, but we also like the occasional glass of Champagne or sparkling wine, so for our next cruise we are considering buying one of the packages that gives you so many bottles of wine priced under $50 for a flat rate. The Azamara web site says the list of wines under $50 includes five sparkling wines, but there is no indication of which brands are offered. Does anyone have a current wine-by-the-bottle list for Azamara? The most recent one I could find by doing a topic search was from 2012, and I suspect those prices are out of date.

We particularly enjoy the Domaine Chandon sparkling wine, and the last time we were on Azamara, I think the bottle price was $49, but I don't know if that wine is still under $50.

I'd also like to know how the bottle package system works. Do you buy all the bottles up front or as you go along on the cruise? Also, can the bottles be purchased anywhere on the ship (like the back deck, pool bar or bow lounge) or only in the dining room? If I don't finish the bottle, can it be stored for me, as you can do with regular wine bottle purchases?

We have never bought the package on previous cruises. In the past, we have just bought glasses of Champagne when we were in the mood for one, but it appears the bottle package would be a much better deal financially as long as it's easy enough to get a bottle anywhere on the ship.

Any information from recent or current Azamara passengers would be appreciated.

Your best bet is to buy what you want to drink prior, take it on board with you and pay the $10 corkage. Much cheaper and you'll get what you want.

David

Edit - there is no restriction on Azamara unlike other lines.....as long as the quantity is 'reasonable' i.e. not a case.

Edited by 150edmiston

• 2 years later...

Just found on the Azamara website a couple of Wine lists. Looks like little varies between the two lists.

Prime C: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/prime_c_wine_list_june_2014.pdf

MDR: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/discoveries_wine_list_june_2014.pdf

After looking through these it is generally better to bring a bottle and pay the corkage with a few notable exceptions. There are a few champagnes that actually sell below retail value. The Caymus Special Selection is slightly below retail. The Chateau Musar is a good deal at just over half retail. Don’t dismiss it because it’s from Lebanon - good stuff.

Looking at these prices, it seems better to me to take your own and pay the corkage. I know wine is generally more expensive in the US than the UK, but golly the mark up is very high on both these glass and bottle prices. Pinot Grigio at $35 - $48! Very expensive - I would not expect to pay more than £20 for any of these in a restaurant near us ( north of England) and a lot less in a supermarket. For example the Bottega Vinai Trentino Pinot Grigio is about £8 in a supermarket in the U.K., so $47 seems a huge mark-up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

... Pinot Grigio at $35 - $48! Very expensive - I would not expect to pay more than £20 for any of these in a restaurant near us ( north of England) and a lot less in a supermarket. For example the Bottega Vinai Trentino Pinot Grigio is about £8 in a supermarket in the U.K., so $47 seems a huge mark-up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, especially the Italian wines seemed to be marked up the highest amounts.