QM2 dress code for women

chloe kitty

I have to agree with the original poster. We were on Queen Victoria before Christmas and the standard of dress was nowhere near as formal as posters on here would claim. Certainly long dresses were in the minority, with most people in what I would call smart comfortable clothing. As for wearing trousers, of course they can be every bit as beautiful and dressy as anything else. We will be on QM2 for a transatlantic crossing in May and I shall be taking one, yes just one, black formal dress, with an assortment of accessories and I bet no one even notices. I am much more interested in hearing about other peoples experiences than checking what they wear. Be confident ladies and wear what makes you feel good.

I would like to point out that "trousers and a nice top" is not the same as "smart trouser suit". Suit would imply a matching jacket.

If referring to the male if the species - that is correct, but not when you are referring to female attire, it can include a smart top. I have packed my black tuxedo - it’s stunning [emoji6]

Rose

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If referring to the male if the species - that is correct, but not when you are referring to female attire, it can include a smart top. I have packed my black tuxedo - it’s stunning [emoji6]

Rose

I believe the dress code is referring to women's attire

Formal:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantsuit

Sadly the word "Smart" when referring to clothing can vary from person to person. Some people feel nothing less than a proper suit or for the lady a dress is "smart" while others feel clean jeans can be "smart". There are those among the long term Cunard crowd who would return to the day of all sea nights being formal and informal required a jacket and tie for the gentlemen. And afternoon tea saw more than a few ladies in fine day time frocks and hats and the gentlemen in blazers.

Sadly the word "Smart" when referring to clothing can vary from person to person. Some people feel nothing less than a proper suit or for the lady a dress is "smart" while others feel clean jeans can be "smart". There are those among the long term Cunard crowd who would return to the day of all sea nights being formal and informal required a jacket and tie for the gentlemen. And afternoon tea saw more than a few ladies in fine day time frocks and hats and the gentlemen in blazers.

Oh those were the days on RMS Queen Mary [emoji1354][emoji1353]

IMG_2837.jpg.159aabf2678def76d36c42528a6ca244.jpg

Oh yes Lakesregion, those were the days.

And money wasn't an issue.

:evilsmile::evilsmile:

I agree with you and I've made that same observation on here myself in the past.

As you say, nearly all men with wear a suit/black tie. But a lot of women just wear trousers and what they laughingly often refer to as "a nice top". And that's what they wear on formal nights - and it's not formal wear at all.

It's also relates to the age of the lady; younger ladies will wear cocktail dress/evening gown, but older ladies will be in trousers and a blouse.

I mostly agree with you. However, dress or formal pants are fine as long as the top is formal or semi formal. I have frequently worn crepe pants with a sequin formal top. I am a senior, but still feel good about looking good, which to me means formal is formal, not a house dress.

There are women who have osteoporosis or rheumatoid diseases and dresses present insurmountable dilemmas - (not to mention the flat heel, comfortable shoe that must be worn to ward off pain and hidden) and the dressy pants fulfil the need to dress with comfort and style.

So many of us are much more than the dress you think you see - we are just enjoying the cruise and have every right to enjoy a CUNARD cruise too.

Cheers, Rose

There is still no reason why someone can't put an evening (dressy) top with those pants. Stores sell formal pants and there is nothing wrong with wearing them.

I mostly agree with you. However, dress or formal pants are fine as long as the top is formal or semi formal. I have frequently worn crepe pants with a sequin formal top. I am a senior, but still feel good about looking good, which to me means formal is formal, not a house dress.

Depending on the length of the cruise,for formal evenings, I take long dresses [not what I would call gowns but definitely more dressy than maxi] and I also take formal pants and the most beautiful tops and jackets. I know when I wear a two piece outfit, I look better dressed than the majority of the ladies around the ship, long dresses or not.

Keep to the sense of the occasion and feel good in what you wear.

Depending on the length of the cruise,for formal evenings, I take long dresses [not what I would call gowns but definitely more dressy than maxi] and I also take formal pants and the most beautiful tops and jackets. I know when I wear a two piece outfit, I look better dressed than the majority of the ladies around the ship, long dresses or not.

Keep to the sense of the occasion and feel good in what you wear.

Totally agree with you. I will always dress up in the evenings. If you don't like it go and sail with someone else. I have just come back from a Princess cruise in the Caribbean and I had so many remarks in the evening about how nice I looked. I answered, you could look the same😀😀

Totally agree with you. I will always dress up in the evenings. If you don't like it go and sail with someone else. I have just come back from a Princess cruise in the Caribbean and I had so many remarks in the evening about how nice I looked. I answered, you could look the same😀😀

I know the feeling. :evilsmile::evilsmile:

All of you that have stated sparkly tops and the like, with smart trousers, great.... I have no issues. It is just that I observed a lot of ladies on formal nights just in an ordinary pair of trousers and plain top. To be honest the sort of outfit that one would see at the local supermarket. I believe on Cunard formal nights one should make more of an effort.

There are a few people like us who use Cunard ships for transportation, not for balls, tuxes or gowns.

We take our meals in the buffet, and we do not run around the ship after about 6:00PM.

You may never know we are there, and we totally appreciate your views and expectations.

All of you that have stated sparkly tops and the like, with smart trousers, great.... I have no issues. It is just that I observed a lot of ladies on formal nights just in an ordinary pair of trousers and plain top. To be honest the sort of outfit that one would see at the local supermarket. I believe on Cunard formal nights one should make more of an effort.

Agree

There are a few people like us who use Cunard ships for transportation, not for balls, tuxes or gowns.

We take our meals in the buffet, and we do not run around the ship after about 6:00PM.

You may never know we are there, and we totally appreciate your views and expectations.

I totally understand your position.

I have been referring to the drop in standards, by many ladies attending the formal nights in the Britannia Restaurant, by just wearing "simple plain trousers and top". More of an effort should be made. One is on a fantastic cruise ship and one has the opportunity to really dress up, yet many ladies didn't seem to make the effort.

Hear hear.

Daveth10, you are probably correct!

However, while ever you gentlemen are able to wear a simple two or three piece suit (even with interchangeable coats of many colours) but continue to accept a woman’s requirement to outfit herself like a peacock in evening gowns as being the only acceptable form of formal dress - this conversation is really pointless.

Until we see you adorned in Elton John / Liberace type outfits inclusive of the ridiculous heels - for anything up to five hours or more every formal night, Oh and you’ve also worked out how to pack and carry these without any damage [emoji6]

It’s all about personal choices don’t you think?

Now, back to my pink tuxedo - having trouble putting darts in the jacket ....... need it for the black and white ball [emoji1354]

Rose [emoji257]

Hi, first time posting (and also first time cruising).

I have booked a TA crossing for June. I understand the dress code for formal evenings - I have a question about those "informal" evenings...

I don't feel comfortable wearing calf-length (or shorter) dresses (I have pretty unattractive ankles), so I'm wondering if I will be overdressed if I wear a long dress on an informal night, or would it be better to wear "nice" dress pants?

This thread remembers me why Cunard is my favorite cruiseline : it's so refreshing to hear people wondering if trousers and a smart top are formal enough for ladies, while on others cruiselines forums, the main dresscode question is : " will DH be allowed to wear shorts in mdr on formal evenings?". Sorry, I'm unfair, sometimes it's "dressy shorts".

More seriously, in "the good old days" ladies didn't have to support the freezing AC, but nowadays, the QM2 Britannia should be renamed "The Frozannia" and yes, I understand why a lady can now choose to wear a (warm and formal!) trousers suit, instead of a light evening gown.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums