CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Wasn't sure how close the garage was to the ship. I did see on this thread that the machine doesn't accept $100 bills. Can you pay by credit card? We paid an attendant (via credit card) upon entering the lot. It was easy. Using a garage minimizes any concern for snow! That's nice.

The garage is closer than the open air lot. You can pay by credit card AFTER the cruise to get an exit ticket. The $100 bill issue has been mentioned in several posts so I pass that info along so that folks don't get caught with the "wrong" kind of cash when trying to get out of Cape Liberty. Typically the parking charges are $100 to $240 for a single cruise, so folks who pay in cash might expect to be able to use at least one $100 bill.

The garage is closer than the open air lot. You can pay by credit card AFTER the cruise to get an exit ticket. The $100 bill issue has been mentioned in several posts so I pass that info along so that folks don't get caught with the "wrong" kind of cash when trying to get out of Cape Liberty. Typically the parking charges are $100 to $240 for a single cruise, so folks who pay in cash might expect to be able to use at least one $100 bill.

Last (hopefully) question/comment: I have read that elevators are clogged upon return. Do you have an opinion about having someone wait with luggage while one person retrieves the car?

And thank you! You are such a wonderful resource!!

Last (hopefully) question/comment: I have read that elevators are clogged upon return. Do you have an opinion about having someone wait with luggage while one person retrieves the car?

And thank you! You are such a wonderful resource!!

I'm not a good resource on that question because I rarely park at the port. I think there is a pickup area where folks can wait with luggage while one person retrieves the car using the steps or elevator.

Hi Carol,

We are staying in a hotel in Manhatten on W.35th Street prior to our cruise in March. What is the best route to get to Cape Liberty using PATH? Should we get off in Hoboken and Uber/taxi to Cape Liberty? Are taxis readily available?

Hi Carol,

We are staying in a hotel in Manhatten on W.35th Street prior to our cruise in March. What is the best route to get to Cape Liberty using PATH? Should we get off in Hoboken and Uber/taxi to Cape Liberty? Are taxis readily available?

I stayed in NYC in Jan at the La Quinta on W32nd St between 5th & 6th. The elevator entrance to PATH was on 6th Ave just north of 32nd on the west side of the street. I took the PATH train to Hoboken, rode the elevator up to the street, and walked past the trains to the light rail. I bought my ticket and validated it in the machine and rode the light rail to 34th St in Bayonne.

I contacted Uber and got a shared car into the port for about $11.50.

I didn't see cabs in Hoboken, but I wasn't looking for them either. The outbound light rail train was empty as was the PATH train. Personally I enjoy the light rail ride. Hoboken to Bayonne on local streets is 10+ miles and not an appealing trip to me.

Hi Carol,

What time did you start out in Manhatten using PATH, light rail and Uber and your arrival time at Cape Liberty? Was the light rail station easy to find once you arrived in Hoboken? And lastly, are cabs available at the 34th Street station in Bayonne?. My apologies for asking all these questions that you may have answered so many times....you are the expert! Thank you so much for the information.

Hi Carol,

What time did you start out in Manhatten using PATH, light rail and Uber and your arrival time at Cape Liberty? Was the light rail station easy to find once you arrived in Hoboken? And lastly, are cabs available at the 34th Street station in Bayonne?. My apologies for asking all these questions that you may have answered so many times....you are the expert! Thank you so much for the information.

I started out around 9 am and arrived at Cape Liberty around 11 am. It took a lot longer because it was the first time I used Uber and I had to call my son to get his assistance. PATH and light rail took about an hour to Bayonne.

When you come out of the elevator at Hoboken, you go left and just keep walking. The station is on your left and the regular trains are on your right. You walk past the end of the trains and keep walking to the light rail (there are signs). Be sure you take the 8th St Bayonne train.

There are no cabs waiting at the light rail. You can call one of the Bayonne cabs.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

Just wanted to give everybody driving to the port a bit of a advice. The roads leading into and out of the port area coming off Rt 440 are full of potholes. It has gotten progressively worse as the winter has gone on. So please use caution when turning into the port area, especially if is raining or has recently rained. The holes can be full of water so please try to avoid them when possible.

Edited by bayonnejoe

Just wanted to give everybody driving to the port a bit of a advice. The roads leading into and out of the port area coming off Rt 440 are full of potholes. It has gotten progressively worse as the winter has gone on. So please use caution when turning into the port area, especially if is raining or has recently rained. The holes can be full of water so please try to avoid them when possible.

Thanks for the heads up Joe!

My two friends and I are cruising in October out of Cape Liberty and have never been there. Any suggestions for a moderately priced hotel for the night before we leave? And is a shuttle from the hotel a better idea than a taxi? Thank you in advance for making it easier for us! (Newbie jitters...)

What is your hotel budget? What are your bed size requirements for 3 people? Can you do 2 doubles? A king and sofabed? Two queens are hard to find. I assume you are flying in - what time do you arrive? Dinner requirements? Do you use Uber or Lyft? Any New York sightseeing objectives?

Looking to rent a car when we return to Bayonne on the Summit in April. Any suggestions? Not sure if all of the car rental places are at the Airport.

Thanks

The big car rental operations are at Newark Airport. Enterprise in Bayonne is not open Sundays. There are some car rental agencies in Jersey City.

We just booked a repo cruise going into Cape Liberty. We are parking in Virginia and it just seems that it will be faster to just rent a one way car and drive it. Where are my closest car rental agencies?

Newark airport has the largest rental car operation in the area.

What is your hotel budget? What are your bed size requirements for 3 people? Can you do 2 doubles? A king and sofabed? Two queens are hard to find. I assume you are flying in - what time do you arrive? Dinner requirements? Do you use Uber or Lyft? Any New York sightseeing objectives?

Thank you for asking the good questions; I could have been more specific!

If we could stay at less than $200 for the hotel, it would be great. Almost any room type would be good...we can adapt for one night. Flying in late afternoon or evening. We were thinking about a shuttle to the hotel if the property doesn't have one. And not fussy about dinner as long as the food is good!

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for asking the good questions; I could have been more specific!

If we could stay at less than $200 for the hotel, it would be great. Almost any room type would be good...we can adapt for one night. Flying in late afternoon or evening. We were thinking about a shuttle to the hotel if the property doesn't have one. And not fussy about dinner as long as the food is good!

Thank you for your help!

If you can do 2 doubles, the best deal for the three of you is through Trinityreservations.com for the Bayonne Cruiseport for $206 tax included for 3-4 people at the Ramada Plaza - free hotel shuttle, room for 3-4 (two doubles), and round trip shuttle transportation to Cape Liberty. The hotel has a restaurant/bar and a very nice cafe area. I have used this package and was very happy with it.

Please forgive me if this has been posted before! We haven't cruised in awhile and are new to Cape Liberty - considering the Celebrity Summit sailing on June 17th. We are in Rochester, NY, and although the flights to NYC are most readily available, we can also fly direct to Newark. My questions:

*Should we plan to fly into Newark?

*Does it make sense to book air travel through Flights by Celebrity? (They say they guarantee price plus offer "Assured Arrival.")

*Should we book our own shuttle from airport to port? (I couldn't find anything about shuttles on the Celebrity web site.) Recommendations?

Thank you in advance!!!

Please forgive me if this has been posted before! We haven't cruised in awhile and are new to Cape Liberty - considering the Celebrity Summit sailing on June 17th. We are in Rochester, NY, and although the flights to NYC are most readily available, we can also fly direct to Newark. My questions:

*Should we plan to fly into Newark?

*Does it make sense to book air travel through Flights by Celebrity? (They say they guarantee price plus offer "Assured Arrival.")

*Should we book our own shuttle from airport to port? (I couldn't find anything about shuttles on the Celebrity web site.) Recommendations?

Thank you in advance!!!

You should definitely fly to Newark, which is 11 miles from Cape Liberty. I'd post on the Celebrity Board to ask about Flights by Celebrity as well as do your own research on flights. If you choose to fly in the day of the cruise (not recommended) you might have more overall financial protection if you're booked through Celebrity since they will not hold the ship for you. The Celebrity Board can help with the availability of transfers, which might not be accessible to you until you actually book the cruise.

Once you know your timings and costs post back for other advice on transfers (Celebrity should offer them) and hotels if you arrive the previous day.

Edited by 138east

Thanks Carol. I know most people generally advise arriving the day before, but we were thinking about flying in that day, as it's just an hour flight and there are multiple ones available. I have already looked into the flights.

I don't know why I can't find anything on the Celebrity site about transfers since others say they are offered from Newark. DH was hoping we could book the cruise, flights, and transfers all in one shot.

Good evening,

We (2 ppl) are cruising back to back in April on the Norwegian Escape, leaving out of New York... we are driving and would like to stay in New Jersey at one of the hotels offering a stay/park/cruise rate...

Question: does this rate allow for 2 weeks parking or is it for 1 week only? If for 1 week, are there other options we can consider for parking 2 weeks whilst we cruise?

Thanks much for your assistance... truly appreciated :)

Good evening,

We (2 ppl) are cruising back to back in April on the Norwegian Escape, leaving out of New York... we are driving and would like to stay in New Jersey at one of the hotels offering a stay/park/cruise rate...

Question: does this rate allow for 2 weeks parking or is it for 1 week only? If for 1 week, are there other options we can consider for parking 2 weeks whilst we cruise?

Thanks much for your assistance... truly appreciated :)

The two stay/park/cruise hotels for sailing from Manhattan are the Hilton Gardens and Hampton Inn in Ridgefield Park NJ. You'd have to call them directly to ask about the parking. From other's postings I don't think this would be an issue, but only the hotels themselves can tell you for sure

Looking to see what the weekly parking rate is in the garage for a July cruise? I think we paid $140 two years ago. Trying to figure out if we drive or hire a car. There are 7 of us which means two cars parking vs one Sprinter van w/driver quoted around $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The two stay/park/cruise hotels for sailing from Manhattan are the Hilton Gardens and Hampton Inn in Ridgefield Park NJ. You'd have to call them directly to ask about the parking. From other's postings I don't think this would be an issue, but only the hotels themselves can tell you for sure

Will do Carol...

Thanks much for responding :)

Looking to see what the weekly parking rate is in the garage for a July cruise? I think we paid $140 two years ago. Trying to figure out if we drive or hire a car. There are 7 of us which means two cars parking vs one Sprinter van w/driver quoted around $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Parking at Cape Liberty is still $20/day, so $280 for 2 cars for 7 days.