The Bar Has Been Set - Short Review of Azamara Journey Bali to Sydney 21st January 18

tazza_0712

I'm sorry if you think someone expressing a straightforward contrary opinion to yours is snark.

You’d be aware of the old saying regarding stones and glass houses. Or black pots and kettles.

If not, I suggest a quick google search should bring you up to speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil, the video you shared is interesting but is not even a close representation of what was played on the Journey after my comments. It was barely audible, but it did make a difference

Yes, I realise that won't come close. I posted it quoting marinaro as an example of it not just being Carnival with the loud music. I'd also mention that Celebrity away from the pool also has background music. Up by the Lawn Club on the top deck. That drives me nuts too. It's incessant and the only way to prevent listening to it is put headphones on with music of your own to drown it out. The other issue with canned music like that is the tapes or CDs aren't very long and you end up listening to the same piece of music over and over on a cruise. Don't get me started on the fake crickets sound!

Phil

Yes, I realise that won't come close. I posted it quoting marinaro as an example of it not just being Carnival with the loud music. I'd also mention that Celebrity away from the pool also has background music. Up by the Lawn Club on the top deck. That drives me nuts too. It's incessant and the only way to prevent listening to it is put headphones on with music of your own to drown it out. The other issue with canned music like that is the tapes or CDs aren't very long and you end up listening to the same piece of music over and over on a cruise. Don't get me started on the fake crickets sound!

Phil

Oh dear. Crickets! Glad to say I haven’t heard a looped tape of crickets. I do hear you completely with respect to the looping of songs.

I don’t fully know what the long term solution to Musicgate is, but I do believe that there would be many (probably an even split?) that would appreciate something more than silence on the pool deck.

Cocktail in hand, sun shining - it just fits (for me). Maybe there could be set quiet pool time and an hour or three of music time.

There was a fellow guest onboard who took to bringing out a portable speaker at one point. I would never have done that, as I don’t feel it’s even remotely appropriate. It does demonstrate however that I’m not alone in my desire for some additional poolside ambience.

It’s not limited to just Carnival either. This is Celebrity's idea of "Modern Luxury" on a quiet port day by the pool if you decide to stay on the ship and relax. Celebrity Reflection when I was on in 2016. Same thing on Celebrity Constellation at Christmas. I truly hate it!

Phil

I think you'll find it on most larger cruise lines; Princess, at least the last time we cruised with them played it too.

Thanks tazzy 0712 - for your great review.

I have sailed with Oceania and Seabourn but hear great thinks about Azamara and have booked our first cruise in 2019.

It is the little thinks that make a high end cruise special - like what they did for you with the music by the pool that day and for me on Seabourn the bar man would have my Margarita (the way I liked it) waiting for me at 5pm - which always made me laugh. From what I hear Azamara delivers a similar standard of service.

Thanks Again

Bev

Thanks tazzy 0712 - for your great review.

I have sailed with Oceania and Seabourn but hear great thinks about Azamara and have booked our first cruise in 2019.

It is the little thinks that make a high end cruise special - like what they did for you with the music by the pool that day and for me on Seabourn the bar man would have my Margarita (the way I liked it) waiting for me at 5pm - which always made me laugh. From what I hear Azamara delivers a similar standard of service.

Thanks Again

Bev

Those little touches really add up to something special. I’m glad you enjoyed the review :-) thanks for commenting

• 2 weeks later...

I just completed my first trip on Azamara. FWIW One of the things Ioved was what wasn’t there: no pool side music and quiet in the public rooms between events. I despise the fact that on mass market lines you’d can’t find anywhere quiet and that is one of the reasons we debunked from Princess this year.

Nice too see suite photos BTW. Sadly well out of our reach but nice pics nonetheless.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you'll find it on most larger cruise lines; Princess, at least the last time we cruised with them played it too.

Or (also Princess) the indescribably ghastly MUTS.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just completed my first trip on Azamara. FWIW One of the things Ioved was what wasn’t there: no pool side music and quiet in the public rooms between events. I despise the fact that on mass market lines you’d can’t find anywhere quiet and that is one of the reasons we debunked from Princess this year.

+1 to infinity!

Phil

Thank you for your review and photos of your beautiful spa suite. Was the suite rectangular?

I was rather surprised at the comments on the discreet background music which was put on around the pool following your comments. I thought that was a lovely gesture. One of the things I especially enjoyed about Azamara Journey was the availability of live music. Discreet music shouldn't be blaring, but background music that adds to the atmosphere, which you find yourself silently enjoying.

Thank you for your review and photos of your beautiful spa suite. Was the suite rectangular?

I was rather surprised at the comments on the discreet background music which was put on around the pool following your comments. I thought that was a lovely gesture. One of the things I especially enjoyed about Azamara Journey was the availability of live music. Discreet music shouldn't be blaring, but background music that adds to the atmosphere, which you find yourself silently enjoying.

Thank you for your comments! I thought it was a wonderful gesture as well, it really punctuated the Azamara difference. Having your feedback recognised and acted upon is really quite a thrill - as it happens so rarely.

Yes, the suite is basically one big rectangle. I find myself missing it even now haha.

We were on the same cruise and noticed music playing one day around the pool and neither of us could remember if it had bee playing everyday! Anyway we suggested in the end of cruise survey that they stop the music -sorry

No need to apologise! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to their own feedback on their survey. I didn’t play the music, only suggested it - and the reason I ever even mentioned it in my review was to explain to everyone how Azamara works with customer feedback, which I thought was fantastic. It was the cruisecritic membership base that decided to run with it as the main point of my review - which it never was.

No need to apologise! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to their own feedback on their survey. I didn’t play the music, only suggested it - and the reason I ever even mentioned it in my review was to explain to everyone how Azamara works with customer feedback, which I thought was fantastic. It was the cruisecritic membership base that decided to run with it as the main point of my review - which it never was.

They are excellent with customer feedback as I made a mid cruise comment about a door that banged and they phoned me to apologise and the door closer was fixed that day - wonderful reactive service.

They are excellent with customer feedback as I made a mid cruise comment about a door that banged and they phoned me to apologise and the door closer was fixed that day - wonderful reactive service.

They’re so good with the feedback! It really makes a difference to the overall experience onboard in my opinion.

So glad you enjoyed your cruise. I hadn't seen the Spa Suite before so really appreciated your lovely pictures.

Sorry but I'm in the camp of no background music around the pool. If they introduce it those that dislike will not be happy whereas fans of music could always enjoy their own selections using a device and headphones.

So glad you enjoyed your cruise. I hadn't seen the Spa Suite before so really appreciated your lovely pictures.

Sorry but I'm in the camp of no background music around the pool. If they introduce it those that dislike will not be happy whereas fans of music could always enjoy their own selections using a device and headphones.

Thank you! It was a lovely room, and I took a whole lot of photos in case anyone had any questions about specific parts of it, like the power points etc. As it is quite hard to find information about it.