Maasdam Questions

debut

Going on our first Holland America trip on the Maasdam. Have a few questions,

Is there a librarary on board?

What are the hours at the buffet and do we serve ourselves?

Is there a DVD player in the cabin, where do you get DVDs for it?

Are there hamburger and pizza places on board?

Looking forward very much to our cruise and hope to love it, Holland seems to have great itenaries and hope to cruise new places with them.

Thank you!

Going on our first Holland America trip on the Maasdam. Have a few questions,

Is there a librarary on board?absolutely!!! Quite a good one,too :)

What are the hours at the buffet and do we serve ourselves? You line up but your plates are served according to what you want.

Is there a DVD player in the cabin, where do you get DVDs for it?Maasdam doesn't have interactive TV yet,so yes, there DVD players. List of the DVD's are in the room along with instructions for ordering or obtaining

Are there hamburger and pizza places on board? The Dive In serves hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, etc. Pizza by the slice in the Lido.

Looking forward very much to our cruise and hope to love it, Holland seems to have great itenaries and hope to cruise new places with them.

Thank you!

answered you in red above.

Enjoy your cruise :)

We were on the Maasdam in August. It was the first time we were on a Holland America cruise. We were very impressed with the entire experience. The ship is wonderful and the crew is outstanding.

You might enjoy viewing my wife's photo journal. Pictures taken around the Maasdam are on the lower part of the page. The link below will take you there.

Maasdam August 1-14, 2016 14 Day Alaska cruise

Happy cruising!

Glad you enjoyed many people's favorite ship - our first HAL ship too.

Interesting take on your camera angles of the interiors - patterns and shapes. And ceilings too? You brought an entirely different perspective to this ship.

Thanks for your report.

We join the Maasdam on Monday, 9/26, in Seattle for a couple of months. In answer to one of your questions, if it is like the other HAL similar size ships, the buffet is open in the morning for breakfast from around 6:30am until 9:30 or 10. It then re-opens and closes for lunch and then again for dinner at 5:15 or 5:30pm. The Dive-In is pretty much open all afternoon.

Great pictures and information!

I would like to add some questions regarding the Maasdam, please:

What kind of evening entertainment is offered now?

Before dinner? After the late show?

Is there still a band playing in the oceans bar? Until when?

Music in the crows nest? Pianist? DJ? Until when?

String quartett?

Other live music?

How many people still dress up on these "gala" nights, i.e. tuxedos resp. gowns?

Maasdam is the favorite ship of perhaps thousands of HAL passengers, including us.

Better enjoy her while you can. There is serious talk that she may be leaving the fleet within the next year or so.

As for me, I hope she stays in the fleet for many years to come. Maasdam is a very special ship to many of us.

We were on the Maasdam in August. It was the first time we were on a Holland America cruise. We were very impressed with the entire experience. The ship is wonderful and the crew is outstanding.

You might enjoy viewing my wife's photo journal. Pictures taken around the Maasdam are on the lower part of the page. The link below will take you there.

Happy cruising!

Thank you for sharing! Wonderful pictures.:) We too love the Maasdam and really cherish the time we have spent on her.

Edited by fatcat04

We join the Maasdam on Monday, 9/26, in Seattle for a couple of months. In answer to one of your questions, if it is like the other HAL similar size ships, the buffet is open in the morning for breakfast from around 6:30am until 9:30 or 10. It then re-opens and closes for lunch and then again for dinner at 5:15 or 5:30pm. The Dive-In is pretty much open all afternoon.

See you on the ship

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone. Sounds wonderful, will be on her in Feb, 2017 for the long central and South America cruise from San Diego and back.

I think I read she has laundry rooms, is this right? Thanks again, sounds like Maasdam is a ship truly loved!

String quartett?

Other live music?

How many people still dress up on these "gala" nights, i.e. tuxedos resp. gowns?

My sister and I just disembarked Maasdam on September 12th. My sister has all the "On Location" programs from our cruise at her house, so I am going by memory here:

On our cruise there were shows in the main theater, including alternately guest performers (for example, such as comedians and musicians) and there were four shows with the ship's singers and dancers. There were two performances each evening, one at 8pm, and the other at 10pm.

The Neptunes played in the Ocean Bar every evening, and there were plenty of people dancing. The times varied somewhat, depending on port days, but if my sister will share the "On Location" programs with us, perhaps she can provide the specifics. (hint, hint sister dear; you said you were going to scan the programs for us on your blog;):D)

There is a DJ and dancing in the Crow's Nest, which is where most of the late night dancing/entertainment took place. On our cruise, a 14-day Alaska, most of us were in bed by 11pm, sad but true:eek::D

No string quartet, but there was a piano/violin duo, who were extremely good, and who had a large audience every evening. They played two shows, usually, and finished their last number by 10pm, I think.

There was also a piano player in the piano bar. Justin somebody; we didn't think he was that good. But piano players come and go, and you will likely have someone else.

Very, very few people wear tuxedos and gowns anymore, particularly on an Alaska/South Pacific itinerary. HAL calls the formerly "formal" evenings now "Gala" evenings. Most gentleman in the dining room wear a jacket/tie, or some just jackets, and most ladies wear a nice skirt or nice pants with a pretty blouse/top, although I did see some very pretty dresses, but short not long.

Hope this helps until my sister comes along:)

We have been on Maasdam a total of 70 days. Wonderful ship. The library is well-stocked and the librarian is on site to answer questions about the library and computer connections.

As I looked through those photos, it brought a smile as I saw some familiar faces from past HAL cruises. It is always good to see some of the same folks. Sometimes, they recognize me before I recognize them!

You cannot go wrong with Maasdam. We have also sailed Ryndam and Statendam (sister ships and both gone from the fleet). We have yet to sail on Veendam, several crew members have reported it to be one of their favorite ships.

Yes, there are laundry rooms, check a deck plan to see where they are. I believe that there are three of them.

Jim

We have been on Maasdam a total of 70 days. Wonderful ship. The library is well-stocked and the librarian is on site to answer questions about the library and computer connections.

As I looked through those photos, it brought a smile as I saw some familiar faces from past HAL cruises. It is always good to see some of the same folks. Sometimes, they recognize me before I recognize them!

You cannot go wrong with Maasdam. We have also sailed Ryndam and Statendam (sister ships and both gone from the fleet). We have yet to sail on Veendam, several crew members have reported it to be one of their favorite ships.

Yes, there are laundry rooms, check a deck plan to see where they are. I believe that there are three of them.

Jim

We sailed the Ryndam's last westbound trans Atlantic voyage and the Statendam's final repositioning cruise to Singapore. Both were fine ships in great condition. We are looking forward to boarding the Maasdam tomorrow.

Tim in Burien, WA

Happy cruising!

Thanks for the link to your wife's photo journal.

Was interested to see fresh fruit in the Neptune Lounge, as it was not available in the lounge during our last two cruises.(different ships).

Noticed some different toiletries in the bathroom, in tubes, do you recall what they were?

Looking forward to boarding Maasdam next month.

Edited by erewhon

My sister and I just disembarked Maasdam on September 12th. My sister has all the "On Location" programs from our cruise at her house, so I am going by memory here:

On our cruise there were shows in the main theater, including alternately guest performers (for example, such as comedians and musicians) and there were four shows with the ship's singers and dancers. There were two performances each evening, one at 8pm, and the other at 10pm.

The Neptunes played in the Ocean Bar every evening, and there were plenty of people dancing. The times varied somewhat, depending on port days, but if my sister will share the "On Location" programs with us, perhaps she can provide the specifics. (hint, hint sister dear; you said you were going to scan the programs for us on your blog;):D)

There is a DJ and dancing in the Crow's Nest, which is where most of the late night dancing/entertainment took place. On our cruise, a 14-day Alaska, most of us were in bed by 11pm, sad but true:eek::D

No string quartet, but there was a piano/violin duo, who were extremely good, and who had a large audience every evening. They played two shows, usually, and finished their last number by 10pm, I think.

There was also a piano player in the piano bar. Justin somebody; we didn't think he was that good. But piano players come and go, and you will likely have someone else.

Very, very few people wear tuxedos and gowns anymore, particularly on an Alaska/South Pacific itinerary. HAL calls the formerly "formal" evenings now "Gala" evenings. Most gentleman in the dining room wear a jacket/tie, or some just jackets, and most ladies wear a nice skirt or nice pants with a pretty blouse/top, although I did see some very pretty dresses, but short not long.

Hope this helps until my sister comes along:)

Thank you very much for all the information.

I had hoped for some later music and bar life ...

If the programs give any more details, I will appreciate the input.

Looks like most people enjoyed theor Maasdam cruises.

Thanks for the link to your wife's photo journal.

Was interested to see fresh fruit in the Neptune Lounge, as it was not available in the lounge during our last two cruises.(different ships).

Noticed some different toiletries in the bathroom, in tubes, do you recall what they were?

Looking forward to boarding Maasdam next month.

I'm glad you enjoyed my wife's photo journal. Yes, we had a lot of fresh fruit available in the Neptune Lounge as well as in our suite. We both enjoyed it every day. The Lounge also had a very nice selection of snacks throughout the day.

I asked my wife about the toiletries, and she doesn't remember what they were, but she enjoyed them. As I recall, the fragrance was very nice. ;)

Glad you enjoyed many people's favorite ship - our first HAL ship too.

Interesting take on your camera angles of the interiors - patterns and shapes. And ceilings too? You brought an entirely different perspective to this ship.

Thanks for your report.

I'm glad you enjoyed my wife's pictures. I will pass along your compliments to her. She likes to capture angles, textures, and light that she finds interesting.

String quartett?

Other live music?

I'm glad you had time to view my wife's photo journal. The only evening entertainment we took the time to enjoy was the violin and piano duet every evening. They were exceptionally good and drew a large crowd.

My wife and I enjoy dressing up. We saw a few tuxes on Gala Night, but most men including me, wore suits or their "Sunday Best." My wife wore a long gown on those nights. I recall seeing a few other women with long gowns, but most were wearing nice slacks and tops, or their "Sunday Best."

Edited by JimAOk1945

I'm glad you enjoyed my wife's photo journal. Yes, we had a lot of fresh fruit available in the Neptune Lounge as well as in our suite. We both enjoyed it every day. The Lounge also had a very nice selection of snacks throughout the day.

I asked my wife about the toiletries, and she doesn't remember what they were, but she enjoyed them. As I recall, the fragrance was very nice. ;)

Thank you for your reply.