Tahiti Excursions

surfer_girl_NJ

Hi Everyone

To all of those seasoned windstar cruisers :D can you give me some input on the following excursions? If you have taken them or if you have taken a similar 'private' excursion and with whom. We are most likely not going to take the internet package so once on board we would have no way of contacting independent vendors. Has this been an issue with anyone.

Also, I'd love to do the discover scuba. Has anyone done this? Also, my DH has issues with his mustache, leaks when we snorkel and he has to continually empty the mask. Any suggestions other than shave or use vaseline (won't shave :eek: and has tried vaseline)? He would love to try this but is hesitant because of the leaking mask.

And one last thing, what have you done on Tahiti on the day of the cruise and the post day while waiting for the midnight flight back? We have the hotel package with windstar for those days.

Much thanks in advance.

Moorea: Snorkel Safari

Raiatea: Anapa Pearl Farm or Harvest Your Own Pearl

Tahaa: Coral Garden Drift Snorkeling

Bora Bora: AquaSafari or Snorkel Safari & Stingray Encounter

Huahine: Motu Picnic or Snorkeling Expedition

Hi Everyone

To all of those seasoned windstar cruisers :D can you give me some input on the following excursions? If you have taken them or if you have taken a similar 'private' excursion and with whom. We are most likely not going to take the internet package so once on board we would have no way of contacting independent vendors. Has this been an issue with anyone.

Also, I'd love to do the discover scuba. Has anyone done this? Also, my DH has issues with his mustache, leaks when we snorkel and he has to continually empty the mask. Any suggestions other than shave or use vaseline (won't shave :eek: and has tried vaseline)? He would love to try this but is hesitant because of the leaking mask.

And one last thing, what have you done on Tahiti on the day of the cruise and the post day while waiting for the midnight flight back? We have the hotel package with windstar for those days.

Much thanks in advance.

Moorea: Snorkel Safari

Raiatea: Anapa Pearl Farm or Harvest Your Own Pearl

Tahaa: Coral Garden Drift Snorkeling

Bora Bora: AquaSafari or Snorkel Safari & Stingray Encounter

Huahine: Motu Picnic or Snorkeling Expedition

Can only answer one of your questions since we'll be on this cruise 8/24/17.

Since we cannot board the Spirit until 1:00 PM, we're taking a morning half day tour of the East Coast of Tahiti with Tracy Thomas - Uniquetahiti.Com from 8:15 AM - 1:00 PM. They'll pick us up at the hotel and return us to the same and then we'll transfer to the ship. While waiting the half day following the cruise, at the hotel, we're just going to enjoy the hotel grounds, pool etc.

Can't help with scuba but with regards to snorkeling, I just purchased one of the full face masks for snorkel usage which would help with the mustache problem. :)

Your excursions look interesting, we booked private tours everywhere except Tahaa. I assume you've seen notices regarding the Coral Garden Drift that one should be a strong swimmer!

We are going on this cruise in December and first time to FP and Wind Star. My DH also has sealing issues while snorkeling so I ordered him the full face mask off Amazon. I want him to try it out in the lake to make sure it works. Will let you know. I booked a private snorkeling/motu picnic excursion in Bora Bora with Lagoon Services and it's pricey. But we may never be there again, and want it to be special. I wanted to go with Patrick's but it was too much for private. You are going before me, so you can let us know what not to miss.

Hi Surfer_Girl (is there surfing in NJ?)

If you're a surfer girl, have you thought about an excursion to Teahupo'o the morning of the 14th? That's the home of the 30+ foot waves Laird Hamilton first surfed with the help of a jet ski entry. You might find it interesting.

I can't recommend any of the excursions you're considering as we haven't taken any (although we have been to Tahiti before). However since your proposed excursions seem to be snorkeling heavy and your husband has problems snorkeling, might he/you be interested in an ATV, jet ski tours, or a combination of the two? A guide and no more than four client vehicles.

I have been in communication with Matira Jet Tours and they've offered me some pretty attractive pricing [38,000 XPF (about $340) for both tours for two persons sharing a single ATV and jet ski]. Matira has gotten some pretty impressive reviews on Trip Advisor (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g311415-d3668165-Reviews-Matira_Jet_Tour-Bora_Bora_Society_Islands.html) if you want to check them out. And they have availability on Sep. 18 (our arrival date in Bora Bora).

We're considering the Anapa Pearl Farm Tour on Raiatea, and the Vallee de la Vanille Tour on Taha'A. Also want to make it to Bloody Mary's in Vaitipe one day for drinks. My wife is a big fan of snorkeling, so we'll probably end up doing one or two excursions involving snorkeling. I'm planning on a good amount of time on Tahiti's incredible beaches. We're planning on 4 days at the Moorea la Ora Beach Sofitel Hotel after the cruise.

If anyone out there has recommendations regarding any of these, we would appreciate hearing! Thanks in advance. :D

Edited by skitrips

I can tell you the Motu Picnic tour on Huahine gets very high reviews. I know because I was on TripAdvisor researching different off-cruise tours for Huahine and decided to go with Poetaina Day Tours. I contacted them to book a tour that day and found out we couldn't because they are actually the provider of the Windstar Motu Picnic excursion. So we have now booked that through Windstar. You can look at the reviews of Poetaina Day Tours on TripAdvisor to learn about that tour.

We were originally considering a tour on the island of Tahiti on our last day, but a little research showed that there were some very worthwhile things to do right near the port and the hotel where we have our day room. So here's what we're planning to do:

Have our luggage transported to Le Meridien and stay in Papeete for a few hours to do some souvenir shopping at the big public market and pearl stores. After lunch at the market, we will go to back to our day room at Le Meridien and walk to the Museum of Tahiti and the Isles, which is only 2-3 blocks from the hotel. If we have time, we may also take a taxi to Marae Arahurahu, a 20 minute drive south of the hotel on the main beach road. It's the best restored and most important archeological site on the island.

After checking out of the room (I was told you need to check out by 6pm), we will walk south from the hotel about 5 minutes to the two roulottes (food trucks) at the beach in Punaauia for dinner and the 6:00 sunset. One of the roulottes is called Creperie le Margouillat and is supposed to have great dinner crepes and dessert crepes. A final drink at the hotel bar and it's time for 8:00 pick up to go to the airport and fly home.

Edited by vlaurend

Dr. Poole's dolphin tour was outstanding. Highly recommend it. Seriously can not imagine going to Tahiti and not taking it. Educational, beautiful abd really fun. Agree with 6rugrats.

Can only answer one of your questions since we'll be on this cruise 8/24/17.

Since we cannot board the Spirit until 1:00 PM, we're taking a morning half day tour of the East Coast of Tahiti with Tracy Thomas - Uniquetahiti.Com from 8:15 AM - 1:00 PM. They'll pick us up at the hotel and return us to the same and then we'll transfer to the ship. While waiting the half day following the cruise, at the hotel, we're just going to enjoy the hotel grounds, pool etc.

Can't help with scuba but with regards to snorkeling, I just purchased one of the full face masks for snorkel usage which would help with the mustache problem. :)

Your excursions look interesting, we booked private tours everywhere except Tahaa. I assume you've seen notices regarding the Coral Garden Drift that one should be a strong swimmer!

Thanks for your input. I will be checking out Tracy. A half day tour may just be the perfect thing to do before boarding the ship. I am sure this is my only time to FP and I want to get everything in humanly possible. If I come back exhausted from my vacation I know I had a good time ;)

I am checking into the full face mask. Our last trip we took a few people were using them and had no complaints.

What private tours did you book? I am looking into ocean adventures at moorea to swim with the whales.

We are going on this cruise in December and first time to FP and Wind Star. My DH also has sealing issues while snorkeling so I ordered him the full face mask off Amazon. I want him to try it out in the lake to make sure it works. Will let you know. I booked a private snorkeling/motu picnic excursion in Bora Bora with Lagoon Services and it's pricey. But we may never be there again, and want it to be special. I wanted to go with Patrick's but it was too much for private. You are going before me, so you can let us know what not to miss.

Yes please let me know how he liked the mask. I am also looking into them. I will check out Lagoon Services...thanks for the tip.

I will post about our trip when we get back. I am sooooo excited!

Hi Surfer_Girl (is there surfing in NJ?)

If you're a surfer girl, have you thought about an excursion to Teahupo'o the morning of the 14th? That's the home of the 30+ foot waves Laird Hamilton first surfed with the help of a jet ski entry. You might find it interesting.

I can't recommend any of the excursions you're considering as we haven't taken any (although we have been to Tahiti before). However since your proposed excursions seem to be snorkeling heavy and your husband has problems snorkeling, might he/you be interested in an ATV, jet ski tours, or a combination of the two? A guide and no more than four client vehicles.

I have been in communication with Matira Jet Tours and they've offered me some pretty attractive pricing [38,000 XPF (about $340) for both tours for two persons sharing a single ATV and jet ski]. Matira has gotten some pretty impressive reviews on Trip Advisor (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g311415-d3668165-Reviews-Matira_Jet_Tour-Bora_Bora_Society_Islands.html) if you want to check them out. And they have availability on Sep. 18 (our arrival date in Bora Bora).

We're considering the Anapa Pearl Farm Tour on Raiatea, and the Vallee de la Vanille Tour on Taha'A. Also want to make it to Bloody Mary's in Vaitipe one day for drinks. My wife is a big fan of snorkeling, so we'll probably end up doing one or two excursions involving snorkeling. I'm planning on a good amount of time on Tahiti's incredible beaches. We're planning on 4 days at the Moorea la Ora Beach Sofitel Hotel after the cruise.

If anyone out there has recommendations regarding any of these, we would appreciate hearing! Thanks in advance. :D

Hi JaniLuvs2Travel

LOL yes there is surfing in NJ. Not sure I want to take on 30+ waves.:eek: I surf a Longboard, 9'1" , and I like 3-5 footers. I saw his ride...yikes!...not for me!

I will look into the ATV...not fan of jet skis. I have been on them before and did not find them all that much fun but that is just me.

Thanks for the input. See you on board :)

I think Skitrips posted that, lol. But I'm actually a surfer girl too but in Cali. Of course there are waves in NJ, lol. I used to ride short boards, but now ride a 7 foot board. No way would I ride a 30 foot wave, as I would die. I've been in 15 foot waves here in the winter and barely survived. Fast ride though.

I can tell you the Motu Picnic tour on Huahine gets very high reviews. I know because I was on TripAdvisor researching different off-cruise tours for Huahine and decided to go with Poetaina Day Tours. I contacted them to book a tour that day and found out we couldn't because they are actually the provider of the Windstar Motu Picnic excursion. So we have now booked that through Windstar. You can look at the reviews of Poetaina Day Tours on TripAdvisor to learn about that tour.

We were originally considering a tour on the island of Tahiti on our last day, but a little research showed that there were some very worthwhile things to do right near the port and the hotel where we have our day room. So here's what we're planning to do:

Have our luggage transported to Le Meridien and stay in Papeete for a few hours to do some souvenir shopping at the big public market and pearl stores. After lunch at the market, we will go to back to our day room at Le Meridien and walk to the Museum of Tahiti and the Isles, which is only 2-3 blocks from the hotel. If we have time, we may also take a taxi to Marae Arahurahu, a 20 minute drive south of the hotel on the main beach road. It's the best restored and most important archeological site on the island.

After checking out of the room (I was told you need to check out by 6pm), we will walk south from the hotel about 5 minutes to the two roulottes (food trucks) at the beach in Punaauia for dinner and the 6:00 sunset. One of the roulottes is called Creperie le Margouillat and is supposed to have great dinner crepes and dessert crepes. A final drink at the hotel bar and it's time for 8:00 pick up to go to the airport and fly home.

Thanks for all the great info. Normally I start planning a year in advance for our trips and do a ton a research. This time around the stars happened to line up and this is a last minute trip for us. I am trying to get as much research done quickly as possible. Your final day plans sound great and I will definitely check into this. Also, thanks for the info on the Huahine trip. I will look at those reviews. I have also looked at the reviews for each of the islands on CC and it also got good reviews.

If you want something unique and meaningful to do on Raiatea instead of paying an inflated price to go to a pearl farm (which is already included in the Huahine excursion, I think), you can do what we are doing and rent a car for half a day through Hertz Raiatea and drive down the coast to see the most sacred marae in Polynesia, Marae Taputapuatea. It's where the trans-pacific outrigger canoe voyages to Hawaii, Easter Island and New Zealand were launched from. Amazing history. If you are at Raiatea on a Saturday, do that in the afternoon, after spending the morning at the public market, which closes at noon on Saturdays.

I think Skitrips posted that, lol. But I'm actually a surfer girl too but in Cali. Of course there are waves in NJ, lol. I used to ride short boards, but now ride a 7 foot board. No way would I ride a 30 foot wave, as I would die. I've been in 15 foot waves here in the winter and barely survived. Fast ride though.

The biggest one I rode was a 10 footer...was doing fine and then bam....all I remember is surfacing and the other surfers around me asking if I was ok. I just got back on my board and paddled back to shore. Still to this day I am not sure what happened. 6-7 foot boards are the shortest I ride. How do you balance on the shorties? I can't...guess I am getting old!

The biggest one I rode was a 10 footer...was doing fine and then bam....all I remember is surfacing and the other surfers around me asking if I was ok. I just got back on my board and paddled back to shore. Still to this day I am not sure what happened. 6-7 foot boards are the shortest I ride. How do you balance on the shorties? I can't...guess I am getting old!

The board is just an extension of your body. But I don't use the shorties anymore either. Wish I still could though. I'm not even good on the 7 foot one. The longer the board, I feel intimidated. When you wipe out on a huge wave you are so far under the water it's scary. Thank goodness for the leash to tell me which way is up! Have a blast on your trip! I'm still unsure whether to jet ski or do Marc's Combo Motu Picnic on Huahine. Speed or Culture? Trying for a balance. Atv tour in Moorea.

• 2 months later...
Hi JaniLuvs2Travel

LOL yes there is surfing in NJ. Not sure I want to take on 30+ waves.:eek: I surf a Longboard, 9'1" , and I like 3-5 footers. I saw his ride...yikes!...not for me!

I will look into the ATV...not fan of jet skis. I have been on them before and did not find them all that much fun but that is just me.

Thanks for the input. See you on board :)

Since you surf did anyone standup Paddleboard?

• 5 months later...

I really want to visit the marae vlaurend but do not want to rent a car. I am unable to find a tour that is focused on it. Would love to visit with a local archeologist but unable to find any contact info. Do you recall if there were any tours available at the pier when you docked offering this? If I can't find a tour, are there taxi's available?

I can give you the name of the taxi driver and local guide that we use last july. He was great. His wife even accompanied us to the local Heiva festival in the evening. We missed the deck BBQ but we witness an amazing show. He made our day special.

His name is Giovani Teahui. Find him on FB.

I really want to visit the marae vlaurend but do not want to rent a car. I am unable to find a tour that is focused on it. Would love to visit with a local archeologist but unable to find any contact info. Do you recall if there were any tours available at the pier when you docked offering this? If I can't find a tour, are there taxi's available?

That's exactly why we ended up renting a car for half a day. If you can contact the taxi driver above on Facebook, that sounds like a good option!

I did contact him to see if he was still there ( or even on FB) and he is. I'll try to put a pic with him on this post. He speaks Japanese, English, French, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, Japanese, too? Too bad we didn't find him before our trip!