January 26, 2019 Singapore; farewell to Ms Maasdam?

Alphen

January 26,2019 Singapore; farewell to Ms Maasdam?

More of the schedules came out to day for the season down under 2018/2019, listing Maasdam for a little while visiting New Zealand and Australia, but not that long and ending up in Singapore on the 26th of January.

Schedule is far from complete, but it is different from what a cruise on Maasdam usually is in this area. Ending up in Singapore makes you wonder if this is her final port flying the Dutch and Holland America flag?????

January 26,2019 Singapore; farewell to Ms Maasdam?

More of the schedules came out to day for the season down under 2018/2019, listing Maasdam for a little while visiting New Zealand and Australia, but not that long and ending up in Singapore on the 26th of January.

Schedule is far from complete, but it is different from what a cruise on Maasdam usually is in this area. Ending up in Singapore makes you wonder if this is her final port flying the Dutch and Holland America flag?????

Singapore is where both her sisters Statendam and Ryndam wound up before entering the Sembawang shipyard located there for a makeover and going to P&O Australia. Only time will tell............:cool:

She has been a great ship, but we sure didn't care for the changes they made to butcher her.

??? I either missed something, or have suffered brain damage, but what changes were made to "butcher" the Maasdam???

I am booked on her for a cruise next spring, and have been looking forward to it very much. Other than changing some outsides to lanai cabins, and removing the Piano Bar, what other changes, especially changes reaching the level of "butcher", were made? (I would agree with the term "butcher" as applied to the Veendam.)

??? I either missed something, or have suffered brain damage, but what changes were made to "butcher" the Maasdam???

I am booked on her for a cruise next spring, and have been looking forward to it very much. Other than changing some outsides to lanai cabins, and removing the Piano Bar, what other changes, especially changes reaching the level of "butcher", were made? (I would agree with the term "butcher" as applied to the Veendam.)

I'm with you Ruth!!! Were on her next February and thought maybe they mean the Veendam!

Denise🤗

She has been a great ship, but we sure didn't care for the changes they made to butcher her.

She will be missed though. Requiescat In Pace

harry

There has been no "butchering" on Maasie over the years except for the two hardworking guys on Deck 5 aft. Are you perhaps thinking about her younger sister, Veendam?

There has been no "butchering" on Maasie over the years except for the two hardworking guys on Deck 5 aft. Are you perhaps thinking about her younger sister, Veendam?

Kitchen maybe ;):cool:

I remember escalators on Main Deck at the entrance area up to LP Atrium. May be getting my ships confused- was a long time ago :)

You're correct Frank; The four “S” class ships were all designed with somewhat of a novelty at sea, a public escalator that could be used by embarking passengers on Main deck to reach their cabins on Lower Promenade deck while getting a glimpse of the ship’s atrium. Maasdam was the last of the four "S" class ships to lose that escalator during her April 2011 dry-dock in Freeport. Statendam lost hers in Apr 2010, Veendam in May 2009 and Ryndam in Oct 2007. In removing the escalator, two of her "K" cabins were reconfigured to four inside staterooms.

Edited by Copper10-8

We hope to cruise Maasdam in December 2018 again, loved her earlier this year on our cruise to Peru. We really enjoyed the location of our cabin on main deck aft, near to the aft in and outdoor stairs up to the Lido. A nice stroll upwards for breakfast and a good opportunity to check the days weather :D

The HAL website now shows itineraries for the Maasdam right through to April 2019. And what itineraries they are! Many new ports in the South Pacific, South East Asia and the Indian Ocean and then making its way back to San Francisco, arriving there in May 2019. They seem to be using the Maasdam to pioneer some new cruises which is great to see. It gives us small ship lovers something different to be tempted by!

The HAL website now shows itineraries for the Maasdam right through to April 2019. And what itineraries they are! Many new ports in the South Pacific, South East Asia and the Indian Ocean and then making its way back to San Francisco, arriving there in May 2019. They seem to be using the Maasdam to pioneer some new cruises which is great to see. It gives us small ship lovers something different to be tempted by!

Indeed, a nice surprise :-)

I would love to see HAL use the Maasdam from San Fransisco in summer 2019 to Alaska on a 10-14 day itinerary including Glacier Bay. Princess sails full consistently from there on the 10 day cruises with relatively high fares. I think there is room in the market for HAL as well, especially with a ship the size of the Maasdam.

• 5 months later...
we just booked 21 day round trip San Francisco leaving May7 2019 Alaska & Pacific Northwest. Lots of Alaskan ports, a couple in Canada and more in the lower 48. Looks like the Maasdam is going to be around for a while.

This is an old thread and the info this was based on has been surpassed a long time.

We are about to board her next week ex Auckland for San Diego. Saw the ship in Melbourne this week & last week I filmed her going thru the heads of Port Phillip Bay in Victoria just on dusk....a lovely sight with the lights.

Maasdam exits Pt Phillip Bay2.pdf

Maasdam Melb .pdf

Maasdam Melb dock.pdf

Maasdam exits Port Phillip Bay.pdf

HAL President Orlando Ashford on the recent Veendam cruise indicated they expected to get 30 years service out of their ships and would continue to invest in them accordingly. Unless I imagine they meet a willing buyer to match their willing sales price ahead of time.

• 3 months later...

My wife and I have sailed HAL twice, the Noordam and K-Dam, and have loved it more so than on Princess or Celebrity. Wanting to sail more with HAL, I love the itineraries that the Maasdam sails! I was booked on the 20 day Indian Ocean cruise to/from Singapore that sailed over to Sri Lanka and the Maldives with six lovely days sailing the Indian Ocean and I had to move our booking because I just don't have the vacation time to take it. I'm depressed typing this! So I hoped and hoped that I could book the same or similar itinerary in 2020 and as mentioned you don't see anything for the Maasdam after early 2019 nor any similar itineraries on another ship. Would love the chance to sail her on this itinerary. Are you listening HAL?