San Francisco Airport to Pier 27

emmak8

Please comment about the ease or difficulty of this plan.

From SFO take BART yellow line to Embarcadero. Short walk to the Hyatt hotel. From the Hyatt take a taxi to the pier.

The airport shuttles (i.e. Super Shuttle) get terrible reviews on TripAdvisor. Princess has their shuttle, but there is usually a long wait for them to fill up a bus.

Thank you for your help.

There are several threads here on getting to the Pier from SFO. The BART is very commonly discussed, and works well. If mobility is not a problem, you can walk from the Embarcadero Station, it is 1.1 flat, smooth miles. Depends on how much baggage you cab. Cab works fine.

Uber from the airport is also a valid alternative.

Your plan is simple and is what we usually suggest. If your case rolls well the walk is actually very pleasant. Flat, along a wide sidewalk with essentially no cross streets once you are on the Embarcadero as you are at the waters edge. Also a number of places to stop and view or even have a snack or drink.

The other irony is that walking can actually be quicker than a cab as the traffic on the Embarcadero, especially around the cruise dock can be fierce. The only method I always tell people to avoid is the historic trolley along the Embarcadero as it is not luggage friendly.

BART is a fun ride and since SFO is at the end/start of the line you shouldn't have to fight for space. Keep in mind it leaves from the international terminal so if you are arriving domestic it's a little walk or take the Sky Train. Personally, I would UBER from SFO.

Your plan is sound. The airport BART terminal is inside the international terminal on the upper level. After you get your luggage go upstairs then to the international terminal. In SF the Hyatt is across the street from BART, up one flight of stairs. The earlier you get there the better as traffic gets bad beginning early afternoon.

You get off BART at the Embarcadero station. If you miss it the next stop is Oakland!

Does anyone have experience in booking transportation through this site?

https://www.viator.com/San-Francisco-tours/Private-Transfers/d651-g15-c5526

As another person wrote, most all of the transportation services receive less than stellar reviews. We would be going from SFO to a hotel in Fisherman's Wharf.

Please comment about the ease or difficulty of this plan.

From SFO take BART yellow line to Embarcadero. Short walk to the Hyatt hotel. From the Hyatt take a taxi to the pier.

The airport shuttles (i.e. Super Shuttle) get terrible reviews on TripAdvisor. Princess has their shuttle, but there is usually a long wait for them to fill up a bus.

Thank you for your help.

BART is a commuter line and it is not "luggage friendly." Take a taxi or use Execucar.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BART is a commuter line and it is not "luggage friendly." Take a taxi or use Execucar.

While I would agree with that statement at the heart of the commute, it is certainly not true otherwise. I have ridden BART literally thousands of time and used it on dozens of occasions to travel to SFO, OAK, and the SF cruise port all with varying sizes of luggage with no difficulty. It is especially nice that from SFO you are at the start of the line. During the Super Bowl I worked at OAK (Oakland International) as a volunteer and we sent many passengers off to Bart who preferred taking public transit to the other means of transport.

Sure it requires some thought and flexibility to planning but no more than transit or train systems throughout the world which many of us are also comfortable using.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I would agree with that statement at the heart of the commute, it is certainly not true otherwise. I have ridden BART literally thousands of time and used it on dozens of occasions to travel to SFO, OAK, and the SF cruise port all with varying sizes of luggage with no difficulty. It is especially nice that from SFO you are at the start of the line. During the Super Bowl I worked at OAK (Oakland International) as a volunteer and we sent many passengers off to Bart who preferred taking public transit to the other means of transport.

Sure it requires some thought and flexibility to planning but no more than transit or train systems throughout the world which many of us are also comfortable using.

To each his own. I wouldn't ride a BART train "for love nor money". To be honest, just too much filth and the occasions of crime are often violent. Of course, if it was my only choice to get around, I'd figure out how to live with it.

Living in San Francisco all my life I would agree with a earlier post that Bart is not luggage friendly. I highly recommend UBER, look on line to get a discount and call them and arrange a pick up time. Most UBER drivers will monitor your flight arrival time and be there to pick you up outside the airline terminal building.

If you decide to use Bart remember you will need to board it at the international terminal.

I forgot to also mention that avoid using Bart during rush hour if you have luggage. They put on extra in trains during rush hour but it is still full with the regular commuters.

I agree with CruiserBruce.

If mobility is not an issue and you don't have a lot of luggage Bart will work well.

From home Taxi or Uber works well.

If you do want a car from SFO to Hotel Uber is a good alternative as CruiserBruce mentioned as is something like execucar at www.execucar.com

Keith

Keith,

The above don’t cater for 7 pax for transfers from the airport. Do you know of a company in SF that does? TIA.