New Dining Options on Windstar

Misty Morning

Just got off the Star Pride. Again a wonderful cruise aside from the first day at sea which was quite rough and windy with several people sick in their rooms.

During the cruise, there were 2 nights when they had the Star Grill at the Star Bar even though Candles was open. The menu is more limited but there are at least 4 or 5 mains plus a small buffet for appetizers and desserts. You have to book it in advance and it is subject to weather. I would say they serve 25 to 30 people per night.

Also on the last day when we left St Barth around 1h30pm, they had Veranda open from 12 to 2pm as usual but also had a Taco Bar which was very popular from 1 to 3pm again at the Star Bar.

In general we thought the food was excellent especially the meatcuts which were ome of the most tender we have ever eaten and all cooked to perfection.

Windstar delivers again.

Oh and were were also told by staff that the company is thinking about increasing the capacity of the 3 Star ships to approx 300 by adding a new section in the middle i.e cutting the ship in 2 and lengthening it by adding a section in the middle. Pretty far fetched but I believe this has been done on other ships. Probably a lot cheaper than building new one. Let's hope they don't increase beyond 300

Just got off the Star Pride. Again a wonderful cruise aside from the first day at sea which was quite rough and windy with several people sick in their rooms.

During the cruise, there were 2 nights when they had the Star Grill at the Star Bar even though Candles was open. The menu is more limited but there are at least 4 or 5 mains plus a small buffet for appetizers and desserts. You have to book it in advance and it is subject to weather. I would say they serve 25 to 30 people per night.

Also on the last day when we left St Barth around 1h30pm, they had Veranda open from 12 to 2pm as usual but also had a Taco Bar which was very popular from 1 to 3pm again at the Star Bar.

In general we thought the food was excellent especially the meatcuts which were ome of the most tender we have ever eaten and all cooked to perfection.

Windstar delivers again.

Oh and were were also told by staff that the company is thinking about increasing the capacity of the 3 Star ships to approx 300 by adding a new section in the middle i.e cutting the ship in 2 and lengthening it by adding a section in the middle. Pretty far fetched but I believe this has been done on other ships. Probably a lot cheaper than building new one. Let's hope they don't increase beyond 300

I'd rather they don't increase at all. Seating at Veranda/Candles is tight as it is. Tendering in those small cabin cruisers would take forever with 300 on board.

Interesting Barrycat and Misty Morning. I was on the 11/25/17 Star Pride sailing and one of the bartenders also told us about the same type of plan to add a section in the middle of the ship to increase the ship size.

I really liked the size of the Star ships. Increasing the number of passengers on the Star ships would be awful. The public areas are small. The deck area is tiny. The pool is like a raised bathtub. We often had to wait for a table at the veranda. I would not book on the Star ships if they increase the number of cabins. Star ships are designed for the number of people now. Adding more cabins would be a mistake.

RedTravel,

If they expand the ships they will increase the number or size of public rooms accordingly. They are not squeezing in more rooms on the same ships, but I agree that the ships are great as they are today. However all the luxury lines have moved to bigger ships. I guess Windstar is looking to increase capacity without acquiring a new ship but let’s hope they keep the size under 300 like the Surf.

• 2 weeks later...

Windstar delivers again.

If they were to increase the load we would not sail with them. I'm sure we're not the only ones.

I already avoid the Wind Surf, because for me it's too big. I certainly wouldn't consider anything larger.

Different strokes for different folks. I have sailed SS, Crystal, Regent and Paul Gauguin. I was worried the WS Surf would be too small. Our cabin was small, but great. The ship was small, but I loved all of the outdoor areas...especially Compass Rose at night. I would not want smaller and we have ruled out the yachts, but the Surf more than exceeded our expectations and I hope to sail her again.