Ocean Liners Exhibition - V & A

Morgans

• 2 weeks later...

We are spending a week in London before our EB TA on Sept. 2nd. We have no idea what to do during that week and not sure where to start looking. Did you find a good web site or travel agent you could recommend? Thanks.......

We are in London for a week prior to our May 10 crossing and this is one of the key things on our itinerary!

I went yesterday and spent a wonderful morning in the exhibition. It is beautifully done with a wide array of images, artefacts, furnishings and materials of every type and hue. There is a fair focus on the hey day of the ocean liner and some wonderful examples of the art deco themes and items from that period. It was really fascinating and there was plenty of Cunard material and influences to keep a Cunarder happy. Look out for the Cunard influences in the design of the halls themselves. There is a very large video wall - 40 to 50 feet across - which features the QM, QE and QE2 sailing on the open seas from left to right, to left to right. Very impressive and thoroughly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
I went yesterday and spent a wonderful morning in the exhibition. It is beautifully done with a wide array of images, artefacts, furnishings and materials of every type and hue. There is a fair focus on the hey day of the ocean liner and some wonderful examples of the art deco themes and items from that period. It was really fascinating and there was plenty of Cunard material and influences to keep a Cunarder happy. Look out for the Cunard influences in the design of the halls themselves. There is a very large video wall - 40 to 50 feet across - which features the QM, QE and QE2 sailing on the open seas from left to right, to left to right. Very impressive and thoroughly recommended.

Great! So it was good then? Am thinking of going with some friends who aren't cruise buffs but interested- would it be good for them? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great! So it was good then? Am thinking of going with some friends who aren't cruise buffs but interested- would it be good for them? Thanks!

I traveled to Salem, Massachusetts last October to see the exhibit at the Peabody Essex Museum just before it closed its run there. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can recommend it for anyone with even a passing interest in ocean liners either from the historical or the art/style aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is quite eclectic in the areas it covers. Anyone with any interest in art and design issues or fashion or how ocean liners captured the spirit of the age in the Art Deco era, should be fascinated. It is very accessible and definitely not just for cruise buffs. Well worth spending a couple of hours on it.

• 1 month later...
We are spending a week in London before our EB TA on Sept. 2nd. We have no idea what to do during that week and not sure where to start looking. Did you find a good web site or travel agent you could recommend? Thanks.......

Not sure I understand your itinerary, but there is no shortage of great things to see and do in London no matter what your interests. You might start with the London pages on TripAdvisor.