Sharing Tables

ToadOfToadHall

Here's something I've been pondering about;

If you go into a restaurant on land, you would never be expected, nor would you expect, to sit with anyone else other than the people you are with. Even in McDonlads or a pub, this would only happen if there wad no other tables available.

Imagine ringing up a restaurant and booking a table for 2 say, then arriving and sitting with another couple ? It would never happen - it would be totally unacceptable.

So why is this arrangement perfectly acceptable on a cruise ? And also, because I don't know, does this happen on other cruise lines ? Or is it just specific to Cunard ?

If you go into a restaurant on land, you would never be expected, nor would you expect, to sit with anyone else other than the people you are with. Even in McDonlads or a pub, this would only happen if there wad no other tables available.

So why is this arrangement perfectly acceptable on a cruise ? And also, because I don't know, does this happen on other cruise lines ? Or is it just specific to Cunard ?

It's in the DNA of cruising: http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-ocean-liner-imperator-of-hapag-hamburg-hamburg-america-line-view-62497106.html In the 19th and early 20th centuries passengers would have been used to that sort of dining even in the grandest restaurants at home.

There are restaurant chains on land, mainly but not exclusively oriental style such as Wagamama, which have communal seating. There's a Wagamama not far from you if you want to see for yourself.

Sharing tables in a main dining room at fixed sittings has been standard practice as long as I can remember and is the same across the cruise industry as far back as I can remember. It is not unique to cruising and I can remember since the early 1960's sharing tables not only on board ships but also when my parents took me on holiday to Holiday Camps. There everybody was on tables for eight, two sittings with sharing with whoever was allocated the same table number as you. I started cruising at an early age and find this normal, newcomers might find it odd to say the least and when I told a non-cruiser at work they seemed to think it awful. There is nothing more interesting to "people watchers" than sharing a table with complete strangers, especially if they come from totally different backgrounds or are completely different from anyone you have previously met etc. It is an education in itself somewhat akin to a live soap opera.

Regards John

Imagine ringing up a restaurant and booking a table for 2 say, then arriving and sitting with another couple ? It would never happen - it would be totally unacceptable.

Just my opinion but I don't see much difference between a table for 2 that is separated from the next table by about 2 inches and sharing a table. Also we have met some very interesting people while sharing and prefer as first choice a table for 6 but don't mind 8. We have only encountered one couple (in 8 cruises) who disappeared, I presume after asking to be moved. It was no great loss to the other 6 on the table as the ones who disappeared were so far up themselves I don't think they had seen daylight for years.

It always amuses my wife and I to see the people in the MDR who stand around waiting for a table for 2 to become available at breakfast time. They mostly look rather miserable and forlorn. I guess its just a case of each to their own preferences.

I love sharing tables on a cruise. I enjoy meeting my fellow passengers. However, I would be horrified to be expected to share a table at a hotel at home. Cruising is just a different type of holiday with different experiences.

I love sharing tables on a cruise. I enjoy meeting my fellow passengers. However, I would be horrified to be expected to share a table at a hotel at home. Cruising is just a different type of holiday with different experiences.

Horrified - that's exactly my point.

You (i.e. people in general) would not dream of doing it at home, or indeed on any other holiday (save at a 1950s holiday camp), and yet everyone accepts it on a cruise.

And other thought has just struck me; do people share a table in the Lido ? I bet they don't.

Just my opinion but I don't see much difference between a table for 2 that is separated from the next table by about 2 inches and sharing a table.

I see a major difference. On a shared table you all know you are on that table and may converse. If you are on a table for two a few inches apart, if people converse loudly enough for you to keep up, do you join in? I have had adjacent table diners talk to me but then do you try to not join in their conversations. What about eye contact? Tables for two inches apart are the most awkward dining set up in my experience.

Regards John

Horrified - that's exactly my point.

You (i.e. people in general) would not dream of doing it at home, or indeed on any other holiday (save at a 1950s holiday camp), and yet everyone accepts it on a cruise.

And other thought has just struck me; do people share a table in the Lido ? I bet they don't.

Yes, many people share tables on Lido when it gets busy. It gives meaning to the expression "We're all in the same boat".

In the early years of passenger "sailing packets" across oceans, and then early steam ships, passengers would sit at a long table on benches. As ships grew in size, two or more long tables would be provided, still with bench seating; see here:

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/4800695499/in/album-72157624038003945/

Late in the 19th century swivel seats began to be provided (in 1st Class) to allow someone at the middle of the table an easier exit, but still at tables seating 10, 20 people or more.

Then, in the early years of the last century, tables for 2, 4, 6 or 8 were introduced in 1st Class, and the long tables gradually fell from favour.

Ship board tradition has kept those sizes of table. Often because, unlike on land, there is limited space available (and tables for two with wide separation between them, take up a lot of space).

There are restaurants on land that have re-introduced the long table and bench idea (one example noted above).

Some passengers prefer tables for two, happiest with their own company, others prefer large tables to meet other passengers and make new friends. I hope that ships continue to provide that choice for many years to come.

You (i.e. people in general) would not dream of doing it at home

Exactly, when ever I travel I expect to find Earth underneath my feet, not water. I also expect to wake up and go to work. It's a holiday because you don't do the normal stuff. /bitchyness #OneOfThoseDays

Exactly, when ever I travel I expect to find Earth underneath my feet, not water. I also expect to wake up and go to work. It's a holiday because you don't do the normal stuff. /bitchyness #OneOfThoseDays

When I say "at home" at don't mean as in "in your house, when you are not on holiday".

So when you go on holiday that is not a cruise, do you expect to eat with strangers by sitting at the same table as them then?

It does NOT happen on Norwegian cruise line. We love the freestyle cruising experience. We can eat in the dining rooms when we want. We don't have assigned dinner times or assigned seating. We always have a table to ourselves. I wouldn't like sitting at a table with strangers every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is for all cruise lines, to accommodate everyone in a timely manner. The amount of passengers SIGNIFICANTLY outweigh the number of crew. Quite simple. This also gives you the opportunity to meet other passengers.

There are other options if you wish to not dine with other guests. You can always dine in specialty restaurants, room service, buffet, or simply stay off of cruise ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I say "at home" at don't mean as in "in your house, when you are not on holiday".

So when you go on holiday that is not a cruise, do you expect to eat with strangers by sitting at the same table as them then?

I do if I attend a banquet and also in many stately home bed and breakfast establishments. I have enjoyed many happy evenings in such places and have found that with most fellow guests they soon stop being strangers and become friends. I guess it just depends on peoples preferences. We often share a table in the lido, mostly at lunch time when it gets crowded. If my wife and I are at a table for 4 I would not dream of turning away anyone who asked if the other places were vacant. However I was highly amused on one occasion when a table for 8 in the lido was occupied by 2 ladies and I asked if the other 6 seats were vacant, they just glared at me, picked up their plates and scuttled off into the distance. ( I must check my aftershave, lol )

Good Question....why so many negative views.... I enjoy my wife's company and we always ask for a table for two... You cannot tell me that on a table for 6 or 8 there is not some body who is up their own (!) and take over the conversation. In the words of Max Ehrmann ...(Desiderata)..'avoid loud and vexatious persons'

I would add...live and let live. Does anybody take into account someone's personal problems. i.e. recently lost a loved one ? Perhap a medical problem which may cause them embarrassment when in company ? There may be a variety of reasons why a couple may prefer a table for two....so please do not be judgemental

The essence is choice. We have always sat at six tables in the hope of meeting folk who could hold a reasonable conversation. Sometimes we have found them but have had some horrors as well which are much too painful to repeat. I think the mds would always be willing to sit passengers at two seating tables though the room would need to be double the size to give much privacy.

David

Good Question....why so many negative views.... I enjoy my wife's company and we always ask for a table for two... You cannot tell me that on a table for 6 or 8 there is not some body who is up their own (!) and take over the conversation. In the words of Max Ehrmann ...(Desiderata)..'avoid loud and vexatious persons'

I would add...live and let live. Does anybody take into account someone's personal problems. i.e. recently lost a loved one ? Perhap a medical problem which may cause them embarrassment when in company ? There may be a variety of reasons why a couple may prefer a table for two....so please do not be judgemental

We still love each other’s company after 50 years and find many things to speak about without help from others.

Love those tables for two.

We were on a table for 8 and I was sat at one end (I suggested rotating but some of the others didn’t want to) As I don’t hear too well it effectively meant that I was on a table for four. Additionally, the meal goes at the speed of the slowest and can take far too long. I’m happy to chat with the people on the next table but request a table for two every time.