Drink Package Carnival Vista

deriam2000

More info for your consideration. If you purchase it in advance, it's cheaper, but you must purchase it for the entire cruise. However, (to me) it makes NO sense to wait and purchase it on the 2nd day, onboard, rather than purchasing it in advance:

Advance purchase (per person):

$51.95 plus 15% tax = $59.75 per day x 7 days = 418.20

Purchase onboard (per person):

$56.95 plus 15% tax = $65.50 per day x 7 days = 458.45

Purchase onboard (per person):

$56.95 plus 15% tax = $65.50 per day x 6 days = 392.95

Yes, it is cheaper than the 7 day, but the actual difference of paying the higher onboard price for 1 less day of usage is the grand sum of: $25.25 - the cost of 3 drinks (4 beers). I know, for me, we drink MORE the first day, in order to get the party started!

We were sitting at the atrium bar on our last trip (4n) on the morning of the 2nd day. The bartender was explaining the Cheers program to a couple who had ALREADY spent over $100 on drinks the night before. They decided it was still worth it, and purchased it, but STILL had to pay for those drinks on the first day. It is NOT retroactive.

Edited by Wanna_Cruize
Clarity

One final note:

Remember Cheers also includes bottled water, specialty coffees, milkshakes, monster drinks, vitamin water, soda, etc. None of those count towards your daily 15 drink limit; only alcohol.

Last year, just after Christmas, we were on an 8n cruise out of Puerto Rico that had 7 ports. We still got our money's worth on Cheers. Our port days looked like this:

Up early going to breakfast - stop at the Atrium for a specialty coffee (with Rumchata)

Mimosa (or 2) with breakfast

Water bottles for everyone to take off the ship with us (you can get more than 1 each if you space them out.

--Off for port fun--

Back on board, drink or two waiting for out dinner

Glass of wine (or 2 with dinner)

Perhaps a drink at the show, or in the Piano bar.

Remember, you don't have to hit the 15 per day, only your break-even point. Depending on your drinks of choice, it could be 5-6 mixed drinks, 7 beers, Less if you drink top-shelf liquor/scotch, etc.

OP remember even "with" port days you are still onboard/awake about 8 hrs a day.

Take the 15 limit out of the equation and think more about breakeven point. Way too many people get hung up on " I can't drink 15"!

Ask " yourself" how many CAN YOU drink.

Hello everyone,

I'm going on my first cruise next September to Bermuda with my wife. I was curious is someone can provide some information regarding their experiences with the drink package vs paying per drink.

1. Are you able to purchase buckets of beer? (My father was on a cruise and could buy 6 beers for the price of 5). I'm a beer drinker, and can sit back and enjoy beers throughout the day, but not looking to get drunk.

2. Our cruise is only a 4 day cruise, with one at sea, one day at bermuda, and another return day at sea.

3. My wife doesn't drink much, however would probably be interested in the other virgin frozen drinks.

4. Does the Cheers! package allow you to take drinks to the cabin? As in if I wanted a mimosa or bloody mary in the morning, could you have it delivered to your room?

I guess I'm new to this, a part of me would rather save for it and buy early than have to see what all was spent after the trip. Another part isn't sure spending $100+ each day when we are at a port for 1/3 of the trip.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone,

I'm going on my first cruise next September to Bermuda with my wife. I was curious is someone can provide some information regarding their experiences with the drink package vs paying per drink.

1. Are you able to purchase buckets of beer? (My father was on a cruise and could buy 6 beers for the price of 5). I'm a beer drinker, and can sit back and enjoy beers throughout the day, but not looking to get drunk.

2. Our cruise is only a 4 day cruise, with one at sea, one day at bermuda, and another return day at sea.

3. My wife doesn't drink much, however would probably be interested in the other virgin frozen drinks.

4. Does the Cheers! package allow you to take drinks to the cabin? As in if I wanted a mimosa or bloody mary in the morning, could you have it delivered to your room?

I guess I'm new to this, a part of me would rather save for it and buy early than have to see what all was spent after the trip. Another part isn't sure spending $100+ each day when we are at a port for 1/3 of the trip.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Buckets of beer and towers of beer are not included in Cheers. There are some good by-the-bottle beers available. No need to limit yourself to just bud or miller.

2. Virgin cocktails are included in Cheers, and I don’t think that they count against your limit of 15 cocktails/beer/wine per day.

3. Your wife (and you) can enjoy as non-alcoholic drinks as part of Cheers. Bottles of water, specialty coffees and teas, energy drinks, sodas, vitamin water, and coconut water have no maximum amount. I always grab a bottle of water to take ashore.

4. Room service drinks are not included in Cheers, but you can definitely carry a cocktail back to your cabin. I often run out in the morning to bring a mimosa back to enjoy on my cabin balcony in the morning or grab a cocktail to enjoy while dressing for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the response Sophia, what would the cost be for a bucket / tower of beer?

Are you limited to the kinds of beers you can have with the Cheers program?

Could I order two drinks at a time? for example two mimosa's in the morning to take back to our cabin?

Thanks for the response Sophia, what would the cost be for a bucket / tower of beer?

Are you limited to the kinds of beers you can have with the Cheers program?

Could I order two drinks at a time? for example two mimosa's in the morning to take back to our cabin?

You can get a bucket of beer. One is charged to your Cheers and the others you pay for. A bucket of 4 16 oz aluminum cans (Bud Light, Bud, Ultra, Bud Light lime, etc, you can mix) is $24 pay as you go.

You can get any beer they serve.

One drink at a time with 5 minute wait between. However, if you and your wife both have Cheers you can take her card with you and get 2. We've never had a problem getting drinks for each other.

Would it be possible to get a bucket of beer and take it to your room to keep in your fridge? then go back to buying beers from the bar with the cheers program?

Can you buy a bucket with the cheers program per day? Or is it one per trip?

Would it be possible to get a bucket of beer and take it to your room to keep in your fridge? then go back to buying beers from the bar with the cheers program?

Can you buy a bucket with the cheers program per day? Or is it one per trip?

You can buy a bucket and take it back to your room but you can't get the whole bucket on Cheers. You will either pay for all 4 or pay for 3 with one counting towards Cheers.

I buy a couple 4 packs ahead of time online so they are in my room when I get on the ship. Then just go to a bar and ask for a bucket of ice.

It really does come down to a numbers game. I'll also add if you are a big drinker (or can play one on vacation) the drink package might not be for you. Especially if you like to hang out anywhere close to the Lido bars, or bars close to it. The glasses are small and so was the alcohol amount. We felt the sports bar on our last trip on Splendor was the best pour. Maybe we just hit a weird week, but they mostly seemed to stick to one ounce, seldom one and a quarter per drink. Every drink they used a shot glass, so we could watch.

Also, most people don't realize that when you have a drink at home (or a bar near home that has a good pour), it is more than one ounce per drink. Usually closer to two ounces or more. My point being, if you have a couple of drinks at home that is four ounces. On the ship it might take you four drinks to get the same amount of alcohol. I know 15 drinks sounds like a lot, but it can be deceiving.

You can get a bucket of beer. One is charged to your Cheers and the others you pay for. A bucket of 4 16 oz aluminum cans (Bud Light, Bud, Ultra, Bud Light lime, etc, you can mix) is $24 pay as you go.

You can get any beer they serve.

One drink at a time with 5 minute wait between. However, if you and your wife both have Cheers you can take her card with you and get 2. We've never had a problem getting drinks for each other.

I do not believe this is a accurate statement..... Buckets of beer and pitchers of margaritas are not included. I read elsewhere this is the case. I have purchased cheers many times...but never saw a need for buckets or pitchers since you get a drink once you finish.

Additionally this would contradict the 1 drink every 5 minute limit....

Update: I reread d12j28 post... He is correct....Get one with Cheers then buy 3 additional if thats what you want to do.

It really does come down to a numbers game. I'll also add if you are a big drinker (or can play one on vacation) the drink package might not be for you. Especially if you like to hang out anywhere close to the Lido bars, or bars close to it. The glasses are small and so was the alcohol amount. We felt the sports bar on our last trip on Splendor was the best pour. Maybe we just hit a weird week, but they mostly seemed to stick to one ounce, seldom one and a quarter per drink. Every drink they used a shot glass, so we could watch.

Also, most people don't realize that when you have a drink at home (or a bar near home that has a good pour), it is more than one ounce per drink. Usually closer to two ounces or more. My point being, if you have a couple of drinks at home that is four ounces. On the ship it might take you four drinks to get the same amount of alcohol. I know 15 drinks sounds like a lot, but it can be deceiving.

LOL.... Its still cheaper in the long run. Doubles will cost you around $12-13 with tip included....Cheers is $56/day. Do the math. Carnival does offer $3 for an extra shot....but that does count as a another drink if your on Cheers.

If you drink 10 doubles....your looking at an alchol bill of $130/day....No thank you!!

Wow. Thanks for all the insightful responses. It's nice to be able to get such great advice and experiences prior to the trip. Do you usually tip the servers if you're getting the Cheers program and buying beers? (Also, can you get bottles of beer on the cheers program? Or is it restricted to draft?)

LOL.... Its still cheaper in the long run. Doubles will cost you around $12-13 with tip included....Cheers is $56/day. Do the math. Carnival does offer $3 for an extra shot....but that does count as a another drink if your on Cheers.

If you drink 10 doubles....your looking at an alchol bill of $130/day....No thank you!!

I wasn't telling anyone to order doubles, I was 'trying' to make the point that 15 drinks sounds like a lot, but might not cover all of your needs for the trip. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Oh and we asked for an extra shot a couple of times and were told no.

Wow. Thanks for all the insightful responses. It's nice to be able to get such great advice and experiences prior to the trip. Do you usually tip the servers if you're getting the Cheers program and buying beers? (Also, can you get bottles of beer on the cheers program? Or is it restricted to draft?)

I always tip (cash) and always get great service. We normally hit the same bars during the cruise so the staff knows us well and we get to know them. There's mostly bottles/cans but you do have some draft options depending on the ship you are sailing.

I wasn't telling anyone to order doubles, I was 'trying' to make the point that 15 drinks sounds like a lot, but might not cover all of your needs for the trip. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Oh and we asked for an extra shot a couple of times and were told no.

They won't do it when you order the drink (5 minute rule).

You need to order your drink, wait 5 minutes and then go get the extra shot.

Or, if your wife has Cheers get a shot on hers! ;)

A bit off topic, but because this is active. Do people try to reserve loungers / recliners early in the morning like they do at all inclusive resorts?

Also, what time do the bars open in the morning?

Do you typically have the same bartenders / servers working the same hours / bars for the duration of the cruise?

Thanks again, it looks like I’ll probably go with the cheers package.

A bit off topic, but because this is active. Do people try to reserve loungers / recliners early in the morning like they do at all inclusive resorts?

Also, what time do the bars open in the morning?

Do you typically have the same bartenders / servers working the same hours / bars for the duration of the cruise?

Thanks again, it looks like I’ll probably go with the cheers package.

Most of the cruises I've been on we've had no problem getting loungers as long as your out there before 9a.m. After that it starts getting busy.

I believe the bars open at 8a.m.

You will normally have the same bartenders but the servers tend to switch it up a little depending on what other jobs they have that day.

If you tip $1 a drink on top of what you were already charged are you really getting a good value? I don't think it would pan out for us as I'm not that big of a drinker. I'd feel terrible the whole cruise and gain 15 pounds.

You don't have to tip every drink (or tip at all) since you already basically have when you purchased Cheers.

I tip for good service.