Hot Glass Show to become a hot glass lassroom.

Poconolady

Just saw a piece on Facebook that the Corning Hot Glass Show ( now closed) will now be a hot glass making classroom, for a fee, of course. Students will be able to choose between several different projects and glass colors that they can take home. Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just saw a piece on Facebook that the Corning Hot Glass Show ( now closed) will now be a hot glass making classroom, for a fee, of course. Students will be able to choose between several different projects and glass colors that they can take home. Interesting.

Thanks for posting. Bummer!

Seems like an interesting idea. Watching is one thing, but learning how to do it and then having a finished product as a result sure beats a souvenir cup IMO. I only hope that the class is affordable. Some may be concerned that this is yet another attempt by Celebrity to capitalize on the tourist dollar...which is, of course capitalism at its finest and I'm all for it! Best of all, if I don't like the price, I don't have to participate. Thanks for posting.

According to the article, class participants will choose from a vase, starfish or heart at a starting cost of $40 for a 20 minute class with instructors assistance. Each piece will need a 12 hour cool down period. Sounds like a hands-on activity. At least you can go home with something.

For a fee, yes, but at least you get something tangible in the end. I have paid a lot more for a series of Apple workshop classes onboard where they taught the same things you get at the Apple store for free. I would rather take home a piece of blown glass than an empty plastic cup that once held a drink of the day. I truly enjoyed the Corning glass shows, sat thru them multiple times on probably 7 different Celebrity Cruises thru the years, and each time I have thought that blowing glass is something I would like to learn, now I will have an opportunity to participate on the ship. If I like it, then maybe I will pursue classes near home. I always love the opportunity to try a new art form. Spa classes, gym classes, dance classes just aren’t my thing, but this is something I think I’ll like.

According to the article, class participants will choose from a vase, starfish or heart at a starting cost of $40 for a 20 minute class with instructors assistance. Each piece will need a 12 hour cool down period. Sounds like a hands-on activity. At least you can go home with something.

I hope they have more options than the three you shared. I would totally do this if I could make a dolphin (I have a thing about dolphins). I have watched glass shows at the Corning Museum and also at Waterford so I wasn't feeling that it was a must do. But, learning to do it? That would be cool!

Check out the website for the new organization

https://www.hollywoodhotglass.com/

They have experience with this type of presentation.

It appears the founder of Hollywood Hot Glass was with Corning at one time

and part of

the Hot Glass Shows on Celebrity ships.

Glad they are a local South Florida organization.

I plan on visiting them in downtown Hollywood before

my cruise on the Eclipse.

Just saw a piece on Facebook that the Corning Hot Glass Show ( now closed) will now be a hot glass making classroom, for a fee, of course. Students will be able to choose between several different projects and glass colors that they can take home.

I like the idea! I'm sailing on Equinox in March so I'm definitely signing up for it. I always enjoyed the Hot Glass Show and was interested in learning more. So here's my chance. I wonder if there will be something on the web page where you can reserve a spot in advance.

Out of all the ideas that have been suggested for what will happen to this space, this seems like one of the more interesting ones. I’m not sure how they’ll keep passengers from burning themselves or otherwise injuring themselves, though!

I like the idea! I'm sailing on Equinox in March so I'm definitely signing up for it. I always enjoyed the Hot Glass Show and was interested in learning more. So here's my chance. I wonder if there will be something on the web page where you can reserve a spot in advance.

Please post your experience if you decide to do the workshop. I am interested in signing up two 18 year olds when we sail in June for something to do.

$40 would be a bargain. I suspect it will be more like $140. They do this not far from me at the Oregon Coast and it is very popular. If you search Lincoln City glass blowing you will find all the details.

$40 would be a bargain. I suspect it will be more like $140. They do this not far from me at the Oregon Coast and it is very popular. If you search Lincoln City glass blowing you will find all the details.

The article said pricing starts at $40.00 and you may choose between 8 pieces.

When we were on the Solstice as a new ship, you could do a glass blowing experience that was a lot of fun. It was a round ornament in what ever colors you wanted. The instructors helped you out, taking safety very seriously. It didn’t take long but it did come with a Murano lunch with the glass blowers. I still have mine years later. I can’t remember what the cost was, but it was a lot more than $40.

We’ll be back on Solstice in July and I certainly will sign up. Great activity!