Princess pulled the bait and switch on our beverage package. Do I have any recourse?

TheTonkster

Tbe OP is from Germany ... is it possible that Princess offers a different pkg to Europeans?

Even though the header says Stuttgart, the OP is from Virginia. See OP's previous post of July 18, 2018 " It will be myself, my husband, our two children, my sister, my brother and my parents. My parents and brother still live in Orlando where I grew up, my sister is in Seattle and my husband and I live in Northern Virginia. "

There is probably a logical answer to what took place here. I suspect a basic misunderstanding of how many PBP's and how many Soda and More Packages were actually included with the booking. I don't think anything sinister is going on; it is most likely a misunderstanding. It looks like it was OP's second cruise ever.

I call "shenanigans". I sailed 28 days with this same package last October and spent a lot of time in Wheelhouse and, once it closed, in Skywalker's. (There were 18 sea days on the cruise.) I only hit my limit once and that was when I used my package to take a drink to my wife in our cabin who was feeling poorly. I wasn't actually "sharing" as she also had the package. I could actually have just purchased it using her number but didn't worry about the "extra" drink. We also had the same package on a 14 day cruise earlier this month and I did hit my limit one day on that cruise as well. It's a lot of drinks. (I was mostly drinking straight Scotch and the bartenders kept pouring doubles without being asked. Naturally those counted as two drinks.) I question the statement that members of his family hit the limit every day. (It really is a lot of drinks...) Yes, as I said, I did hit the limit and no, I wasn't ever "blotto" nor did the staff at any time question my status. The 15 drinks were spread out over the entire day - starting with Pernod and OJ in the morning. I stay up late and was up quite late each night so the day I hit the limit was over the course of about 17 hours or so.

We got bottles of water to take ashore at each port stop. Every night I got a (small) bottle of San Pellegriino water before bed. The only exception was when the bar in the Piazza ran out and that night I had a (small) bottle of Perrier.

This package has been in effect for quite some time now and I can't understand any crew member telling someone that the limit included soda, water, juice, or coffee. A quick word with any bartender would have cleared things up. On our cruise last October my wife was told she couldn't get a 16 oz. draft on the package. She was told only the small glasses worked with the package. I asked to speak with the Beverage Manager and told him the package specifically stated any drink $12 or less. The larger beer was only about $8 or something like that. I approached him calmly and politely. (My wife and I were later gently "accosted" by a bar staffer who told us how very pleased - and surprised - she was that I was so calm and polite and didn't have a conniption about it. I guess many people are rude.) The Beverage Manager was surprised that my wife had been told this and said it was a miscommunication with the staff. Within 20 minutes (I kid you not) there was a memo at all bars clarifying the issue. My wife never had a problem after that.

I simply can't believe anybody could actually have the problems described above. No bartender would ever cut off a passenger who hadn't legitimately had the full 15 alcoholic drinks within the 6AM to 6AM period. (Unless that person was obviously intoxicated and the bartender determined they should not be served.) Likewise no bartender or beverage server would refuse to serve the person water, soda, coffee, etc. It simply isn't the way Princess handles this package.

My take on this is that the person failed to understand that the package was no longer "unlimited" and decided to have a cow about it while "embellishing" the circumstances. I have absolutely no sympathy and, if this person (and family) choose not to sail with Princess in the future I, for one, won't shed a tear. Normally I try to be polite here on these boards but this poster really peeves me.

Didn't they end up having a photo of you at the bar with a circle and a line through it?

Didn't they end up having a photo of you at the bar with a circle and a line through it?

Nope. Must have been someone else. :D You weren't on that cruise but hope to see you again on a cruise one of these days. You cruise more than we do but it's possible. :cool:

Princess pulled the bait and switch on our beverage package. Do I have any recourse?

The recourse if you believe it was bait and switch or deceptive advertising is a credit card dispute. Princess is not in control and the credit card company doesn't really care about the small fine print. They look at what was offered to you and what you got. You should win this if you file a dispute.

The recourse if you believe it was bait and switch or deceptive advertising is a credit card dispute. Princess is not in control and the credit card company doesn't really care about the small fine print. They look at what was offered to you and what you got. You should win this if you file a dispute.

The OP didn't actually purchase the package. It was included in the Sip and Sail promo. Not sure how one could dispute the charge for the included package.

To answer the op question, did Princess pull a bait and switch, yes they did, do you have any recourse,No because they can change the terms and condions and the op agreed to this when he bought the cruise. It’s obvious Princess has brought the change in stop sharing, and who can blame them.

The OP didn't actually purchase the package. It was included in the Sip and Sail promo. Not sure how one could dispute the charge for the included package.

Really doesn't change much with a charge back credit card dispute. The main issue here is did the cruise company practice bait and switch or deceptive advertising. What many fail to understand is that under the terms of the credit card processing agreement, the cruise line agrees to accept the rules from the card processing service first, and then the cruise contact second. The dispute could be for the whole trip, very hard to win or the value of the package, much easier to win. So it very much could be disputed and I believe the passenger would win this one.

Really doesn't change much with a charge back credit card dispute. The main issue here is did the cruise company practice bait and switch or deceptive advertising. What many fail to understand is that under the terms of the credit card processing agreement, the cruise line agrees to accept the rules from the card processing service first, and then the cruise contact second. The dispute could be for the whole trip, very hard to win or the value of the package, much easier to win. So it very much could be disputed and I believe the passenger would win this one.

As an online seller, I've had my share of credit card charge-backs. I can verify that the credit card always goes for the entire amount, never a partial and because it's the credit card that decides the outcome, not the seller/shipper, they are almost always in favor of the card holder.

The only times I've ever won as a seller, was when I had postal signature confirmation, for those that claimed they didn't receive the orders. All others, such as "my kid ordered" or "I didn't like what I got, even though I got exactly what I ordered" claims were won by the buyer (AKA scammer).

The main issue is, we booked a cruise with unlimited drinks included in our cruise fare and received something different. That's all that matters. Princess changed the terms, which is bait and switch. That's what this comes down to.

Hmmm, I also booked under the sip and sail when it was the unlimited. This makes me rethink princess being able to change the terms after purchase. Something I'll have to think about.

I do wonder how princess handles a chargeback and subsequent cruises.

Edited by justafem

As an online seller, I've had my share of credit card charge-backs. I can verify that the credit card always goes for the entire amount, never a partial and because it's the credit card that decides the outcome, not the seller/shipper, they are almost always in favor of the card holder.

The only times I've ever won as a seller, was when I had postal signature confirmation, for those that claimed they didn't receive the orders. All others, such as "my kid ordered" or "I didn't like what I got, even though I got exactly what I ordered" claims were won by the buyer (AKA scammer).

The main issue is, we booked a cruise with unlimited drinks included in our cruise fare and received something different. That's all that matters. Princess changed the terms, which is bait and switch. That's what this comes down to.

Hmmm, I also booked under the sip and sail when it was the unlimited. This makes me rethink princess being able to change the terms after purchase. Something I'll have to think about.

I do wonder how princess handles a chargeback and subsequent cruises.

I also have several credit card merchant accounts, so I agree most of the time in favor of the buyer. But have won many of them in my favor. I believe you would be hard pressed to great all 8 passengers charged back in full, but it could happen. I did one charge back myself that was a similar situation and I can tell you what happen with that one.

The cruise line did a weather related storm change of the itinerary but my wife not having a Philippines Passport did not have the correct visas for the 2 ports, I could have gone into the ports but choose to stay with my wife on the ship.

After the cruise I asked for some consideration, and the home office said no it is within your contract. So I did a charge back and file everything required with the credit card company. The cruise line reach out to me about a week later, a much higher person and offered a refund for two days of the cruise or a future cruise credit equal to four days of the cruise. So no retaliation from the cruise line and I will be sailing with them again very soon. I think the cruise line knew they could lose and did not want to risk a charge back for two cruises.

So to answer your question how does princess handles a charge back and subsequent cruises. I think if they believe you are a scammer they may take some action but a real dispute is just part of doing business.

I am very curious that you are the only person to complain about this. In order to help you sort through this, I would like you to provide more information. You were sailing with your husband, two children, your sister, your brother and your mother and father. Sip & Sail only covers bookings in certain classes of staterooms. How many staterooms did you book under the Sip & Sail promotion and what categories were those staterooms? Sip & Sail only covers alcoholic beverages for the first two adults in a stateroom and then it is only an unlimited Soda & More Package for the 3rd and 4th passengers in the same stateroom. So, for your 8 family members, how many staterooms housed your family of 8? You said "Members of your family reached their limit each day." How many of your family members reached their limit each day? Of those family members, were they by any chance getting alcohol drinks for other family members not covered by the Premium Beverage Package? I really think it is pretty tough to go through 15 alcoholic drinks each day for a 7 day cruise.

I have also heard that there is a 15 minute timeout between drinks on these packages. The timeout is meant to discourage others from getting drinks for passengers who aren't covered by a drink package.

Please answer the following questions :

How many staterooms did you book under the Sip & Sail Promotion and what categories were those staterooms?

How many of your family members reached their limit each day?

The answers to those two questions may go a long way toward helping us figure out what happened to your family. Like I said earlier, it is odd that no one else from your sailing complained about this. I hope we can help you figure this out.

Wow. That's quite the inquisition.

The original poster booked very, very early, while the old rules were in effect.

People who booked later booked under the new rules, so were not suprised by any rule change.

So, I don't find it suprising that not everyone on the same cruise complained.

Wow. That's quite the inquisition.

The original poster booked very, very early, while the old rules were in effect.

People who booked later booked under the new rules, so were not suprised by any rule change.

So, I don't find it suprising that not everyone on the same cruise complained.

I didn't think my asking for answers to two questions constituted an inquisition. I gave a quick explanation of how the Sip & Sail Promotions generally work and was attempting to figure out where the possible misunderstanding came from. I still think this was all a misunderstanding of what the packages covered and who was covered by which package.

I'm still shaking my head that multiple people hit the limit multiple times. We did a cruise with 12 of us and only 1 guy hit his limit and it wasn't very pretty...he had trouble finding his way back to his cabin. 15 alcoholic beverages for most people would put them under the table. There seems to be something rotten in the state of Denmark!!

One small point, I think it is quite easy for the question 'Does it include Soft Drinks and Coffee' answer 'Yes', without being clear whether the Soft Drinks and Coffee are included in 15 Drink limit.

I agree wholeheartedly that what he heard he may have misinterpreted. However, when going to the bar for a drink, the system would know how many they had and would continue to allow service until 15 alcoholic beverages were purchased. For all other drinks, they would have never been denied.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that someone took unlimited as being able to share with others and because there now was a limit, it put a crimp in the plan. I see no other feasible explanation unless they all walked around counting drinks all day and hit 15 and decided to stop. That seems pretty unreasonable logic as well.

I didn't think my asking for answers to two questions constituted an inquisition. I gave a quick explanation of how the Sip & Sail Promotions generally work and was attempting to figure out where the possible misunderstanding came from. I still think this was all a misunderstanding of what the packages covered and who was covered by which package.

And I see OP came back and answered one question (regarding "how was the cruise?") But hasn't responded to your request.

Each time one orders an alcoholic drink the terminal that is used to charge your account clearly shows how many drinks have been ordered. I watched it in Wheelhouse and asked in Skywalker's. It's pretty foolproof. The only real chance of a screw up is if you are a "regular" in a bar the bartenders will know your number by the second or third day and not even ask for your card. If they hit a wrong number during entry it could charge the wrong person. It's still not likely though. I saw the screen and, when they charged me for a drink, the screen clearly showed my name and my cabin number.

I'm still shaking my head that multiple people hit the limit multiple times. We did a cruise with 12 of us and only 1 guy hit his limit and it wasn't very pretty...he had trouble finding his way back to his cabin. 15 alcoholic beverages for most people would put them under the table. There seems to be something rotten in the state of Denmark!!

The 15 alcoholic beverage thing is modeled after what's been in place on Carnival with their Cheers program. I got to see it in action last Fall on a cruise to Alaska. (I know... Carnival. But it was a comp 14 day cruise in a suite and included the Cheers package free also.)

The Alchemy Bar was a crafted martini bar only, and it was the place to be. I was adopted into the "Alchemy Family," a group of singles and couples, strangers otherwise save for a few cruises they had met up on prior. They were mostly in their 40's, 50's and on up, refined and would easily fit in on Princess. Strictly meaning that they were not college students out on a bender.

But they could drink.

And drink

and drink!

Meeting a few for early morning breakfast is where they start with a screwdriver or bloody mary.

And that makes for plenty a long day.

The system keeps a specific log of each alcoholic beverage sold that day for the guest. The bartender can scroll through and review it, inform the guest of their current "count." Some would hit double digits, and one was at 13 somewhere about 11pm, so I asked the bartender to make a drink for #13 on my tab. He did, but discretely shook his head "no": I realized that he only did that because of me and how I had been presented to staff internally, that it was a clear violation of policy, and I didn't do it again.

I don't think #13 ever hit the limit any night, nor did any of the others in the Alchemy Family. No one fell down, no one passed out, and no one got visibly sick.

I also learned that at least on Carnival there's a loophole and "trick" to exceed 15. First off, understand that at 15, you are CUT OFF. You cannot even purchase alcohol. So before hitting your 15th, one particular bar (something to do with a frog, I think) sells a punchbowl size drink too expensive for Cheers, that must be purchased. Apparently after a dozen drinks, it just takes one of these to make you forget you still had a few drinks left on Cheers.

No one I saw used that loophole.

Point is, I think it's our culture in the USA to feel anxious whenever there's a limit placed upon us. Even myself, who probably never hit #6, still felt the anxiety of the limit.

Fifteen alcoholic beverages is a lot-- for most people. True, there are some that may feel stifled by the limit.

Now if more than one person is trying to "share" the package, 15 may be a small number. And that's part of the point.