Luggage Free or Luggage Forward?

poss

Would be interested in hearing reports. I'm trying to choose. I know that the pircing is somewhat different, just don't know if one is better/more reliable than the other.

Thank you.

Thanks wripro. Btw, I realize that it was probably inappropriate to post the luggage question here. I was thinking that people who do "luxury" cruising probably also sometimes spend the not inconsiderable $$ to ship luggage ahead. I'd like to remove my post, but not sure how to do that.

For what it's worth, next week I'm embarking on a cruise for which an included perk is luggage delivery. They are using Luggage Forward, which picked up my bags the other day. So far, I've been very impressed with their communication and organization. Of course, the proof of effectiveness will come next week, when I find (1) whether my bags were delivered to the ship, and (2) their condition on delivery.

I used Luggage Free a couple of years ago to ship bags home from a cruise. Organization and communication was poor, but the bags arrived when promised. Though one that was pristine when I handed it over looked like it had been dragged through a garbage dump when it arrived. But the items on the interior were fine, and it now matches all my other bags that have been handled by airlines.

One thing to look for is what the company will or will not take. Luggage Free says no toiletries--Luggage Forward will take toiletries as long as they are not aerosols.

That's interesting about the toiletries.

Btw, I forgot to mention that in addition to the 20% discount with Luggage Free when MC is used, the insured rate becomes $1500 rather than $1000. (Don't know what L Forward does.)

Our pick up yesterday went smoothly, as has my communication with the company. Here's hoping everyone's bags arrive as scheduled.

Happy cruising to all.

Always use Luggage Forward pre and post cruise when travelling with more luggage than I allowed at check in.

Used the service in Port Miami and Port Everglades and everything went perfectly well. Luggage arrived on time and in good condition.

They all are very similar.

They will use the same companies most of the time to ship the items.

I would price it out with each one and see how it works for you.

I have used Luggage Free and Luggage Concierge.

Luggage Free recently changed their pricing.

Keith

I use Luggage Forward when going from Winter home to Summer home and they are very reliable. No damage to bags and always arrives on time. I have yet to use them for a cruise. Our biggest concern would be sending international and our bags not arriving.

If flying Business Class, two large bags are included so it somehow defeats the purpose of using Luggage Forward. IMO

I've always had good luck with Luggage Forward.

While a problem can happen with any luggage company, there was a post last week (wish that I could remember where) that did have a bad experience with Luggage Forward. Most people that I know that cruise on Regent use Luggage Free.

Reporting back on our Luggage Forward experience: my bags arrived soon after we got into our suite and in the same condition in which they were collected. I'd used cable ties to "lock" and they were undisturbed. My cabin mate also used the cable ties, and one of her bags had been opened. Her bags were a little slower to get to the suite, so we can't help but think that it had been opened by the ship and not the shipper. In any event, the contents were intact, so all was well.

Reporting back on our Luggage Forward experience: my bags arrived soon after we got into our suite and in the same condition in which they were collected. I'd used cable ties to "lock" and they were undisturbed. My cabin mate also used the cable ties, and one of her bags had been opened. Her bags were a little slower to get to the suite, so we can't help but think that it had been opened by the ship and not the shipper. In any event, the contents were intact, so all was well.

I would not draw conclusions on who opened that bag. Could have been the vendor they use to ship the luggage or the ship. No different than at the airport with the TSA. Sometimes they randomly go through luggage.

Keith

When making a decision on who to use I would look at several factors including:

Pricing

Do they ship to and from the port you are trying to get to

After hours coverage - By this I mean you have an issue and it is after hours or on the weekend. Be sure to ask how this is handled and most importantly ask the company because practices do change. You want to be able to reach someone and you want to know that they are not just an answering service.

I tell you this from actual experience.

And a suggestion also based on my experience. Be sure that in addition to whatever tags they supply that you have your own luggage tag on the outside of the luggage and the inside and that this includes your e-mail address and celll phone number. This helped us a avoid a major problem a couple of years ago.

Keitih

I use Luggage Forward when going from Winter home to Summer home and they are very reliable. No damage to bags and always arrives on time. I have yet to use them for a cruise. Our biggest concern would be sending international and our bags not arriving.

If flying Business Class, two large bags are included so it somehow defeats the purpose of using Luggage Forward. IMO

Even if bz class includes bags, sometimes using a forwarding service can be very helpful for those of us who are nor very strong and want to do a few days traveling somewhere on trains before a cruise when you only need a few things and where hauling big suitcases on and off a train is awkward and very strenuous and can even lead you to miss your stop as happened to my friend last year ( could not get the train door open and hoist her big case off on time) .

I was raised to value each dollar spent, and though I have mostly overcome most of my fears of splurging, I feel a bit odd sometimes paying lots of money for luggage forwarding (I used Luggage Forward, like it) if two bags are included.

If DH is along there is no point, as he cannot get his bags packed until the middle of the night before a trip anyway, plus he can hoist everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I was the one who started this thread, I thought it was the right thing to come back with a final report. Sadly, though the outbound situation was fine, the return was not. There was no one from Luggage Free at the port when we disembarked in Oslo. We were accustomed to seeing someone with a "Luggage Free" sign after we retrieved our bags and cleared customs at the port, but this time there was no sign at all. We spent quite a bit of time searching, as did some people from the ship and others who were trying to help us locate the person (our bus to the airport was delayed while we searched and searched). We finally had to lug the big, heavy suitcase ourselves (we are in our 80's) and put it in checked baggage. Not a happy experience. Luggage Free of course did not charge us for the return, but when I asked for some sort of compensation for the trouble they caused, they were not forthcoming.

I would like to ship luggage to our precruise hotel in Shanghai.

Our cruise includes a land tour and a flight from Beijing to Shanghai with very tight luggage restrictions.

Has anyone shipped to China and, if so, what company did you use?

It seems that Luggage Free will not ship from the US to China.

Thanks in advance.

Sharon