Rough Experience with Vegan and Gluten-Free on Marina

specialdiet

My wife and I were on Marina Jul 14-28 . Both of us have multiple dietary restrictions which with a bit of work are usually handled pretty well by cruise lines. This trip may have hit a low for us, with both of us getting sick and several big mistakes made (in the dining room). On reflection, it appeared that both procedures and staff comfort level did ok with one restriction at a time, but didn't cope well with several at once.

I spent some time to write up a detailed review and analysis of our experience. It also touches on the new-ish vegan menus, which seemed weirdly retro and more limited than expected. I've got a few ideas how things could be done better. I know many people have perfectly good experiences, but I have to say, based on our extensive experience with cruising with dietary restrictions and conversations with staff, these are not trivial one-off mistakes. We'd be happy to give O more of our vacation money for the ship size and overall quiet, but if this isn't fixed it's unfortunately a deal-breaker in that regard.

As this writeup is very lengthy, I'm not including it here, but you can read the whole thing at https://cruisespecialdiet.com/oceania/ and would certainly welcome any comments.

My wife and I were on Marina Jul 14-28 . Both of us have multiple dietary restrictions which with a bit of work are usually handled pretty well by cruise lines. This trip may have hit a low for us, with both of us getting sick and several big mistakes made (in the dining room). On reflection, it appeared that both procedures and staff comfort level did ok with one restriction at a time, but didn't cope well with several at once.

I spent some time to write up a detailed review and analysis of our experience. It also touches on the new-ish vegan menus, which seemed weirdly retro and more limited than expected. I've got a few ideas how things could be done better. I know many people have perfectly good experiences, but I have to say, based on our extensive experience with cruising with dietary restrictions and conversations with staff, these are not trivial one-off mistakes. We'd be happy to give O more of our vacation money for the ship size and overall quiet, but if this isn't fixed it's unfortunately a deal-breaker in that regard.

As this writeup is very lengthy, I'm not including it here, but you can read the whole thing at https://cruisespecialdiet.com/oceania/ and would certainly welcome any comments.

I did rad your very long writeup and all I can say is wow

Jancruz1

One suggestion is to ask to sit in the same section daily so you have the same wait staff

Thanks very much. Yes, we generally do that as it does help minimize errors and stress (the crews and ours). In this case it wouldn't have prevented the big mistakes (which happened second day) or some later ones, but I'm certain avoided others.

Having said that, after nobody from the waiter to the head chef knew that the main ingredient in a vegan protein product was made from wheat, the entire dining team knew about us. :)

(I have to say I prefer to be the topic du jour in the daily staff meetings because a staff member did such a superb, over-and-above job that we brought it to the attention of one of the head honchos, who shared it to recognize that person...)

Wow! Your write-up was a real eye-opener. We recently returned from a Baltic cruise on the Marina and found that the system worked really well for my seafood allergy. But that is ONE allergy only, which now seems relatively simple compared to your experience. Still, I have learned to tread cautiously, and it's that vigilance that made us decide that keeping our reservation at Red Ginger just wasn't worth the risk, since hidden seafood (like shrimp paste and fish sauce) can show up in condiments, flavorings, and sauces common in Asian cuisine. We just didn't want to bet on having a compulsive label-reader in the kitchen. I hope Oceania takes note of your analysis and comments and works to address them. It's hard to travel with dietary restrictions, and it's worth working hard to keep folks safe. (It's also worth investing time in developing exciting vegan and vegetarian dishes--we were disappointed in many of those offerings on our cruise, as you were.) Thanks for sharing your info!

All I can say is my daughter-in-law has to have gluten free and she has Hashimoto's. She did well. They gave her a menu a day before and she picked. She was fine. Others may be more serious than she is though.

All I can say is my daughter-in-law has to have gluten free and she has Hashimoto's. She did well. They gave her a menu a day before and she picked. She was fine. Others may be more serious than she is though.

I think they handle more common single restrictions more-or-less as well as any other cruise line. If it's more than one thing it seems more problematic, both because they're not used to dealing with it (making it more likely mistakes will happen) and because many of their 'special' items are pre-made mixes or pre-packaged products (so fewer or less appetizing options).

We just didn't want to bet on having a compulsive label-reader in the kitchen. I hope Oceania takes note of your analysis and comments and works to address them. It's hard to travel with dietary restrictions, and it's worth working hard to keep folks safe. (It's also worth investing time in developing exciting vegan and vegetarian dishes--we were disappointed in many of those offerings on our cruise, as you were.)

Thanks for the feedback. I really do hope they up their game. There's no real excuse for a professional kitchen messing up with allergens in this day and age. While I'm always vigilant (recognizing that between the two of us we're not straightforward), it does take some of the relaxation element out of the holiday. Like you, we often simplify our choices of meals and/or venues to avoid trouble or frustration.

While I think getting the allergens thing right is trickier (but more important) given their existing processes, I'd love to see some modernization and more than one option each day in the vegan menus. It's an opportunity to really solidify their overall culinary credibility. Otherwise 'finest cuisine at sea' is going to need increasing numbers of caveats!

Thanks for reading.

I did rad your very long writeup and all I can say is wow

Jancruz1

Thanks for reading. It's been a while since I've been really shocked, but two things this time did it for me. First was that nobody flagged perhaps their main veg protein as being wheat-based. Second was the head waiter "in charge of allergies" basically avoiding us for a week after we had some problems instead of stepping up.

(The right person stepping up after mistakes can turn everything around. On an Azamara cruise years back, we had flight problems getting there so missed our pre-cruise activities and barely made it. So we started out grumpy and had a couple food mistakes early on. A head waiter there went above and beyond to ensure the rest of the trip went as smooth as possible, and stuck with it. He got a nice letter from us and recognition from the bosses instead of this unfortunate writeup. Let me make it clear this isn't an Oceania or Azamara thing, it's just about the individuals involved.)

Thanks for sharing. I also have dietary requirements due to IBS (irraitable bowel syndrome) and have to watch certain foods and have to take Linzess everyday a real pain to do. With that being said, I do realize that some people suffering from Celiac disease is difficult. However, it has become a food fad for many that do not have it and think of it as a diet to lose weight. Far from the truth as you can easily gain weight on this diet. GF products are far more expensive than other food products but necessary for a few people in the US that suffer from Celiac. We have a friend that really has to be GF as we have seen her suffer when she has gone off course and not by intention.

We are not complete vegans as we do like seafood. I am of the understanding that O is pretty good at accommodating food choices. Having cruised Crystal and Regent they were very good helping me with my food choices.

Having not sailed O we are anxious to give them a try.

Again, thanks for posting your experience. We all learn something on these boards.

With that being said, I do realize that some people suffering from Celiac disease is difficult. However, it has become a food fad for many that do not have it and think of it as a diet to lose weight.

That gluten-free is trendy is a mixed blessing. Products and awareness are certainly more widely available. But for celiacs when even the tiniest amount of gluten can trigger them, it's tough. Many people have come to think of it as a bit closer to a preference and so aren't as careful as with for example a peanut allergy causing anaphylaxis.

We're both glad we're not celiac (gluten is a migraine trigger for my wife, and wheat exacerbates my colitis), and had a bunch of meds to get things back under control fairly quickly. I'm much more worried for people who could have a more acute and prolonged reaction.

That gluten-free is trendy is a mixed blessing. Products and awareness are certainly more widely available. But for celiacs when even the tiniest amount of gluten can trigger them, it's tough. Many people have come to think of it as a bit closer to a preference and so aren't as careful as with for example a peanut allergy causing anaphylaxis.

We're both glad we're not celiac (gluten is a migraine trigger for my wife, and wheat exacerbates my colitis), and had a bunch of meds to get things back under control fairly quickly. I'm much more worried for people who could have a more acute and prolonged reaction.

I agree with you completely. My DH and I were saying that when we were in our 20’s-30’s we did not have any food allergies. Now middle age, I have developed IBS.

Nobody knew years ago about peanut and GF allergies and here we are now. I do miss certain foods that I used to eat but the consequences are not worth it.