Live from the Marina - Fashion Parade

Eartha Kitten

OK. For all those people claiming Oceania has a dress code - I must

Say it wasn't what I'd read about here. Am on the current Baltic cruise. Last night in MDR I saw several men in casual jeans and sneakers. Not young men either. Saw several women in sneakers and many in sweatshirt jackets and one with a honking fanny pack strapped around her middle. This evening at Captain's Cocktail party where "appropriate attire" was spelled out, numerous couples showed up in sneakers, crocs,and sweatshirt style jackets.

Tonight in the Terrace Cafe which I know is supposed to be more casual, I was surrounded by the following: to my north a man wore loose Tee shirt and jeans; couple to my west wore matching short sleeved tops upon which they spread their napkins across their chests with top edges tucked into their neckline. Best of all was the guy at the table to our south seated in his loose Tee shirt, swim trunks and flip flops.

Just sayin'.

True, but the OP mentioned the MDR (aka GDR) at the outset. I have to say I haven't seen that attire in the GDR myself ... it may depend on the itinerary. And summertime is hotter! (But the Baltic shouldn't be as hot as the Med!)

While I am personally averse to formal nights (which is what brought us to Renaissance and then Oceania to begin with) I don't like to see *overly* casual attire in the main dining rooms! That's why Terrace exists -- for people who have been on shore all day and don't feel like changing for dinner, it's an excellent option. But the GDR and specialty restaurants should have a higher standard and that standard SHOULD be enforced.

It does sound like that isn't always the case from various posts I've seen. I have to say that our recent cruises haven't shown this to be the average, but we did see a foursome in Polo on our May 2018 cruise on Riviera who were clearly "underdressed". Of course, I didn't notice that until they stood up to leave!

Mura

Say it wasn't what I'd read about here. Am on the current Baltic cruise. Last night in MDR I saw several men in casual jeans and sneakers. Not young men either. Saw several women in sneakers and many in sweatshirt jackets and one with a honking fanny pack strapped around her middle. This evening at Captain's Cocktail party where "appropriate attire" was spelled out, numerous couples showed up in sneakers, crocs,and sweatshirt style jackets.

Tonight in the Terrace Cafe which I know is supposed to be more casual, I was surrounded by the following: to my north a man wore loose Tee shirt and jeans; couple to my west wore matching short sleeved tops upon which they spread their napkins across their chests with top edges tucked into their neckline. Best of all was the guy at the table to our south seated in his loose Tee shirt, swim trunks and flip flops.

Just sayin'.

A warm welcome to Oceania’s “new blood” :)

I’ve cruised on Oceania long and frequently enough to know that this is not the norm on Oceania of the past but may it be the norm of the Oceania of the future.

Time will tell.

I need to start looking at what others wear ;)

Mind you we did see some older people in what I would call runners coming out of the GDR

They were not like nike's or Keds more like a walking shoe

maybe they have foot problems ?

I need to start looking at what others wear ;)

Mind you we did see some older people in what I would call runners coming out of the GDR

They were not like nike's or Keds more like a walking shoe

maybe they have foot problems ?

Tho those who wear Walking Shoes, keep wearing them....this dress stuff is becoming close to the idiocy on Cunard...please stop!!

We just got back, maybe you saw us? lol The previous poster is exactly correct. The terrace grill is for people who have been out all day and don't feel like changing or up early for a day at the pool. Their dress code reflects that. After many long excursion days it was a welcome sight. Who wants to go to all the trouble of dressing for dinner when you are exhausted and hungry. On the other hand, at Jaques, I saw a man with shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes standing at the door. I never saw him seated. I think they turned him away.

My husband sometimes wears stylish jeans and a dress shirt to dinner with loafers. He looks dressier than men in a polo shirt and khakis.

I'm baffled as to why older people, men in particular---and I'm a 70 year old man, so I know a few things about this---don't pay attention to dressing well. The older you are, the less you can get by on your youthful looks and high-school-athlete body. A nice shirt and pants don't take longer to put on than a t-shirt and jeans. Yes, they probably cost a few bucks more, but if you can afford an Oceania cruise you can afford to dress decently. It particularly bothers me when I see a married guy dressed poorly when his wife is dressed appropriately. It's bad enough that the guy is showing no respect to his fellow guests, but to show no respect to his wife is inexcusable.

• Like 1

Just saying'.

And exactly why do you care?

Years ago, I was President of the HOA in a very upscale subdivision. We had about 2400 homes and over 4,000 residents. The vast majority followed the covenants and kept the yards well manicured and their flower beds attractive. There were always those few that didn’t care what their yard looked like and just wanted to be left alone. Grass knee high and the flower beds mostly weeds. I remember asking one , in frustration, “ if you don’t like mowing and caring for your yard, why did you move into an area where everyone else does and the covenants requires it?” His reply was “ I enjoy driving through and looking at all the surrounding nicely kept yards, I just don’t want to do ( or pay to have done) the work myself!”

I’m sure, if asking wripro his answer would have been “why do you care, just worry about your own yard?”.

I'm baffled as to why older people, men in particular---and I'm a 70 year old man, so I know a few things about this---don't pay attention to dressing well. The older you are, the less you can get by on your youthful looks and high-school-athlete body. A nice shirt and pants don't take longer to put on than a t-shirt and jeans. Yes, they probably cost a few bucks more, but if you can afford an Oceania cruise you can afford to dress decently. It particularly bothers me when I see a married guy dressed poorly when his wife is dressed appropriately. It's bad enough that the guy is showing no respect to his fellow guests, but to show no respect to his wife is inexcusable.

It’s my belief that people should choose cruise lines that suit their clothes.

The man I saw who didn't get in was in his 30's. I didn't see a woman with him. My husband and I are in our 50's and he looks modern and stylish in his jeans. All of the older men I saw were dressed appropriately in the restaurants.

I'm not asserting my comment as fact, just a "maybe".

The few I have seen that weren't totally appropriate in dress -- although I don't recall observing people who were really inappropriate -- do tend to be younger.

Perhaps it has to do with the effect of Casual Fridays? Many offices are more casual in general these days where attire is concerned. (Bear in mind that my office closed up in December 2000 and I chose not to look for another job at that time so my theory is based on what I have read, not what I have experienced.)

I do think that "more casual at work" attitude may be in play here. Not entirely, of course.

Mura

I enjoy dressing well, as does my wife. The one thing we don't do, is concern ourselves with what others are wearing. When I am on my vacation I have lots of wonderful things on my mind. What shoes others are wearing is not one of them.

In general I would agree with you ... within reason! If I see someone who is exceedingly dressed down in a nice venue, yes it bothers me. Am I going to start a fight over it? No!

But I do think that as long as there are listed requirements then people who don't meet that standard (and I support flexibility here), the staff should request those who don't meet that minimum standard should be asked to go change.

It appears that isn't happening often enough these days.

Oceania isn't asking people to wear tuxes or evening gowns.

Mura

I enjoy dressing well, as does my wife. The one thing we don't do, is concern ourselves with what others are wearing. When I am on my vacation I have lots of wonderful things on my mind. What shoes others are wearing is not one of them.

I feel the same way about what people eat - whether they eat little or a lot (or what they eat) is their business and none of mine. This does not effect me in any way.

That said, dress code issue is different as it potentially does effect me. It is a “slippery slope” if things are allowed to deteriorate to the point where everyone will wear whatever they feel like rather than what is suggested. It then can create a very different atmosphere in the MDR and specialties. If that was the feel I was looking for then I would cruise on Carnival for a lot less money. As Mura pointed out, Oceania is very generous in offering country club casual and not formal - it isn’t that difficult to comply with, IMO.

PS Here I wish to point out that I am a very casual dresser and never wear a jacket or a tie but I wear proper slacks, shirts and shoes in the MDR and specialties.

Edited by Paulchili

The real point here is that the ships make the rules, enforce the rules, and interpret those rules. The endless (did I mention endless) complaining on Cruse Critic on how each of the complainants interpret their view of the rules is worthless. If someones shoes, slacks, hats (place your complaint here), etc... is bothering you go tell someone who is charge of really determining if the hooligan is not dressed properly and have them see if it violates the policy or simply get over it. I spent 30 years in courtrooms, so really the only opinion that matters is two fold; was the complaint voiced to the right people and did the" judge" agree and deal with it. Cruise Critic is like politics; your not going to change anyones mind on what they are going to wear. So complain to the right people or stop the "endless" complaining here.