Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Cindy,

We are staying in town. Travis only has 3 more years of High School, hate pulling him out now. We are seriously considering a small little house in a cooler area so that we can be "Sun Birds" and get out of this heat in the summers. Crazy, the kids go back to school 8-6-18, ALREADY. Have been busy with Travis Eagle Scout project. Slowly getting it done. What a major undertaking. Not his project so much as the paperwork and getting all the ducks lined in a row. Boy Scouts are a stickler for the paperwork being wordly just right. And rightfully so. It has been an eye opener and Travis has grown so much in the responsibility department and trying to do things that other wise he would have just said "I can't do it". Did you read that in a whiny little tone? LOL.

Omg Travis is in high school? Wow where did the time go.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Cindy,

We are staying in town. Travis only has 3 more years of High School, hate pulling him out now. We are seriously considering a small little house in a cooler area so that we can be "Sun Birds" and get out of this heat in the summers. Crazy, the kids go back to school 8-6-18, ALREADY. Have been busy with Travis Eagle Scout project. Slowly getting it done. What a major undertaking. Not his project so much as the paperwork and getting all the ducks lined in a row. Boy Scouts are a stickler for the paperwork being wordly just right. And rightfully so. It has been an eye opener and Travis has grown so much in the responsibility department and trying to do things that other wise he would have just said "I can't do it". Did you read that in a whiny little tone? LOL.

We watched this boy grow up. Good job Nancy.

It won't be long and I'll have to start getting Horton's paperwork going for his Hawaii cruise in December. It was so convenient to have all the necessary office supplies when I was working. Now I have to run to the PO Box and use their scanner/fax machine and whatever else it's going to take to get the necessary paperwork to the officials.

Of course first Horton has to have his Vet visit and, if I remember correctly, it all has to be done within two weeks of boarding the ship.

Hawaii's laws for dogs entering their state are ridiculously demanding. Although, we will be entering less than a year after our last cruise there will be less paperwork needed because some of their licenses stay in effect for one year.

Personally, I think that Princess handles all the paperwork, restrictions and demands better than Carnival. Although, Carnival's crew and staff have been very attentive and kind to me and my dogs.

The paperwork, rights and regulations for bringing a Service Dog into a public environment can be very stressful for some businesses.

The folks behind the Passenger Services Desks and the crew that walk around the ship can be faced with a lot of complicated issues and how they handle me and my dog can either make or break my cruise.

Roz, Cindy and any others that have been around awhile, you don't realize how much you were around "watching" and "helping" me with Travis. We are very proud of him. He is very much in tune with his History and keeps up with current events. He loves to debate, anything, just like his Papa. Get the two of them going and I have to leave the room! The kids are going on a Canoe trip, down the Colorado River tomorrow. He has come so far with his fear of water. Still there, but he is learning to compensate and trusts his Youth Leaders so much that he is willing to try anything with them. Next week, they are going to San Diego for the week and will be going out on the boat into the ocean/harbor. He said he doesn't want to do that, but I bet he ends up doing it once he gets there. His Scout leaders and church Youth group leaders are responsible for his coming out of his shell and being a responsible young man. Still have to remind him at home to do his chores, but can't ask for everything!

Thank you guys for being there when I needed you. Oh, and boy oh boy is he an animal lover. He so wants Leann Emily to be his kitty, which he doesn't know, but she is. He can pick her up and do about anything with her, except put her in her crate and she just lets him do it. She just isn't the cuddly type, so he wants his own kitty! :o Leann Emily would not stand for that. The good part, when he gets older and we can finally get away on a cruise, I think we will have a built in furkid sitter!

I'm exhausted!

We are doing some construction. Building rental property toward our retirement income. I've had rental property for nearly 23 years, but I've never spent this much time on it, and never done this much new construction.

Anyway, my 22 yr old son and I spent the weekend laying flooring. I couldn't find anyone willing to install what I want to use for a price I was willing to pay. Well, one guy, but he isn't available until September. I need it installed yesterday! So, 700 sq ft in, and 4900 to go. Geez. OMG I hurt so much!

Scooter supervised all weekend He'd go from laying on the floor to laying on his cot and back. Outside every so often. Next door to grammy's house for a drink and for me to use the restroom.

Guess what I'm doing every night after work for the next couple of weeks? You guessed it! Flooring!

Uggg. I'd take a couple of days off work and do it, but I don't have the days. I have them all booked up for cruising.

Oh well, one of these day's I'll be glad of it.

Hope you all are good!

Great Job Nancy! You should be proud of all you have done. I wouldnt want to be raising kids nowadays. It's to hard.

Roz, didn't know you were going back to Hawaii. I'm so jealous!!

John and I will be together 20yrs this December. Had a 10 day cruise we've always wanted to take but never got around to it. But now that Wexy is older, I don't want to drag him on a big trip. So I guess trip is on hold. [emoji852]️

Love the photo of 11 year-old Wexler - still a puppy at heart!

We’re up in Nova Scotia enjoying spectacular Maritime summer weather, a great escape from steamy Florida in the summer. Crisp nights, but perfect, sunny, warm days. Glam-Camping in our RV a few miles from Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse for a couple of days.

Wednesday we board the 16-hr overnight ferry for Newfoundland. We paid extra for a private cabin with a queen bed, and there will be some sort of relief station for Raylene. Should be interesting!

We’ll spend three weeks again in Newfoundland, our second visit. The people are lovely up here, where my husband’s late mother was born. Lots of tiny fishing villages to explore for photos.

We’re up in Nova Scotia enjoying spectacular Maritime summer weather, a great escape from steamy Florida in the summer. Crisp nights, but perfect, sunny, warm days. Glam-Camping in our RV a few miles from Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse for a couple of days.

Wednesday we board the 16-hr overnight ferry for Newfoundland. We paid extra for a private cabin with a queen bed, and there will be some sort of relief station for Raylene. Should be interesting!

We’ll spend three weeks again in Newfoundland, our second visit. The people are lovely up here, where my husband’s late mother was born. Lots of tiny fishing villages to explore for photos.

Your trip sounds wonderful Chris - have a great time.

Dianne

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, Dianne!

Roz, I didn’t know you were planning a Hawaii cruise again. I’ve thought about doing another one (the first was pre-dog), but the long flight to the West Coast to the ship, plus going through all the hoops, has me dragging my feet. I loved all the sea days to and from the islands.

Thanks, Dianne!

Roz, I didn’t know you were planning a Hawaii cruise again. I’ve thought about doing another one (the first was pre-dog), but the long flight to the West Coast to the ship, plus going through all the hoops, has me dragging my feet. I loved all the sea days to and from the islands.

Hawaii is not too bad if you fly into Honolulu - a few less hoops to jump through than for Roz, but that would be a really long flight from the east coast. I scheduled another cruise for 2020 so that we can get our monies worth before Henri's rabies titer expires.

Dianne

Sounds like alot of fun. We live so close but have never been up that way.

Sounds like alot of fun. We live so close but have never been up that way.

Hi Cindy,

I know that you have recently been to Bermuda. Do you know how the rabies vaccination section of the health form is filled out? They have two tables: one that says "first rabies vaccination" and one that says "second rabies vaccination." Do they just want the information on the last two rabies vaccinations given or do they really want the information on the first two rabies vaccinations that were administered at three months and one year?

thanks,

Dianne

Sorry, being that this will be my first cruise, international travel with Halo, I think I am going to have a lot of questions.

I did go to the aphis website. I only saw the "application to import domestic animals into the commonwealth of the Bahamas". Is this the form to send to them? Seems really simple.

It has been mentioned to fax not mail. How do I send the monies with it? It looks like there is a $10.00 fee and then $5.00 to fax. I don't mind paying the extra to fax, just don't know how I would send the money. Plus there is no fax number on the website. Does the vet get this information?

I live in two locations; Idaho in the summer and Florida in the winter. I won't be going back to Florida until October 30, the cruise is November 25. Can I have my Idaho vet do all the vaccinations and paperwork and have the Florida vet do the check right before we leave?

Any other suggestions? I have a "diaper bag" that I always take with, we have traveled many times within the U.S. I even have a life vest for him. I will start training him to a potty box. I am more worried about getting the paperwork correct. My husband is just so very nervous about the whole thing - taking Halo on the cruise. Any suggestions on easing his concerns?

We just got back from a Vegas trip. Although Halo was a champ, that has been his hardest trip so far. So many people, so hot and the show was so very noisy. We got a cabana by the pool, Halo had shade, ceiling fan and personal portable fan, plenty of cool water, wet, cool towels - he was so well attended. The show, a Cirque show, was VERY noisy, he startled once - just his body, then he stay in a laying position through the whole show. Occasionally putting his head on my husband for some comfort. I am thinking of getting him ear protection.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Linda and Halo

Let's see wasn't there a very famous ship wreck near beautiful Nova Scotia? I hope to do a New England trip in the future and include Nova Scotia in it. Have a wonderful time!

Taking our dogs to noisy shows and entertainment is all part of us living a good life. And, we don't do it all the time. I know that our first reaction to them getting startled by the noise is to want to pat or console them, don't fall-for-the-fur; give another direction to them and keep your expectations high. They soon learn that it's not a big deal and go back to laying down. Most importantly, make sure that no one has to step over or on them.

Congratulations Cindy & John on many years together....I wish you at least 120 more. Yes, I'm off to Hawaii again with a different set of children and on a different cruise line. I'm not a fan of so many sea days but the kids are. And, I love cruising so off I go. I know exactly what you're saying about Wexy aging and not wanting to put him through too much. It might be time to start thinking about applying for a Successor. It'll take some wait time anyway and you guys are so good with these dogs, can you imagine your life without one?

Barb, gotta get all the Hawaii and European travel in before the titer test runs out.

The best way to get all the paperwork and licenses paid for when we're doing it via fax or email is with a credit card.

Have a wonderful, cool and safe weekend everyone!

Something, very important that I didn't mention about why I take a particular cruise are the incentives.

If a ship offers me an ultimate drink package; which includes coffee, bottled water, high end liquor, smoothies, bottled vitamin drinks, and all mixed drinks, etc., or gratuities paid for along with specialty dining packages, I'm inspired to take that ship. If you add it up for 4 people it really is a lot of money saved, especially on a 15 day cruise. Since I like to drive to the port, I'm waiting for them to include port side parking and then they truly have me!

I've booked a 10 day to the Sea of Cortez in February, 2019 because it includes the drink package and specialty dining package.

Anybody want to jump onboard either of these cruises with Horton and me? We'd love to cruise with you.

I've booked a 10 day to the Sea of Cortez in February, 2019 because it includes the drink package and specialty dining package.

Anybody want to jump onboard either of these cruises with Horton and me? We'd love to cruise with you.

Oh Roz, I would so love to do this cruise with you guys! I am going to check it out. Which cruiseline/ship are you going on? We are having a house built, so we have to be mindful of the budget. I have been looking at cruises lately. Still want to do Panama Canal and Keith wants to go to New York to see Time Square. I am going to trundle over and see what's available.

Sorry, being that this will be my first cruise, international travel with Halo, I think I am going to have a lot of questions.

I did go to the aphis website. I only saw the "application to import domestic animals into the commonwealth of the Bahamas". Is this the form to send to them? Seems really simple.

Yes, the application to import domestic animals into the commonwealthof the Bahamas is the correct form. Theform is very simple to fill out, the problem with the Bahamas is getting themto respond to your request and send you the permit and health form back. Startas early as you can, the permit will be valid for one year.

The Bahamas does not charge a fee for service dogs. I faxedmy application with a cover sheet stating that my dog is a service dog and requestedthat they waive the fees. I included a copy of my CCI ID card and graduation certificatewith the fax. The fax number is 1-242-325-3960.

You should be able to have any necessary vaccinations doneby your Idaho vet as long as he/she issues certificates with the requiredinformation for your Florida vet to use to fill out the health certificate.

I think we were all nervous before our first cruise with ourservice dog – I know I was; once you have taken him you and your husband willfeel much more relxed about it.

Dianne

Roz, I would love to cruise with you. But, I have written off going to Hawaii with all the regulations and expenses to get a service dog in.

Linda and Halo

Don't be discouraged about going to Hawaii - I took my service dog in April and the paperwork wasn't really that bad. You just have to be organized and make sure that you are meeting all of the deadlines.

Dianne

So we took the 16-hour overnight Marine Atlantic car ferry Wednesday and arrived in eastern Newfoundland on Thursday. Poor Raylene refused to use the relief station despite numerous trips to it, and went about 18 hours without a pee and longer than that without pooping.

The kennel room was up on Deck 10 near the top, and you had to walk outside on the deck to reach it. (Lots of rain, high wind, and rough seas - plus the foghorn which sounded often, once causing Raylene to jump from surprise.) Inside the kennel were four large, mostly quiet pet dogs in crates, and a big, 5’ tall, walk-in size stainless steel box with a layer of kitty litter. One of the dogs whined a little whenever we came in, and the whole setup seemed to spook Raylene. I know some of you have success with artificial grass, and I was wishing I had a piece of it to try.

No way was she going to use it, and I was practically dragging her the last six feet to reach the kennel on the last try. So as soon as we drove the RV off the ferry on arrival, our first stop was a parking area with grass at the tourist welcome center. Whew! We were ALL relieved. Poor thing.

The ferry otherwise was quite nice, and we had a very comfortable cruise ship-type deluxe cabin with queen bed, sofa, private bath, fridge stocked with complimentary non-alcoholic beverages, TV. Dinner was wonderful. But I couldn’t truly enjoy any of it for fretting about my girl’s comfort.

The only good thing to come out of this experience is that I know now she’d be able to handle the length of a transatlantic flight. Still, I’d probably do ships both ways rather than worry about flight delays sitting on the runway.

Anyway we made it, and after three weeks here, will be on a short ferry (5 hours) for the return crossing from the western end of Newfoundland back to Nova Scotia.

I probably will never complain about a cruiseline’s relief station again. Or at least, not as much.

Yes, the application to import domestic animals into the commonwealthof the Bahamas is the correct form. Theform is very simple to fill out, the problem with the Bahamas is getting themto respond to your request and send you the permit and health form back. Startas early as you can, the permit will be valid for one year.

The Bahamas does not charge a fee for service dogs. I faxedmy application with a cover sheet stating that my dog is a service dog and requestedthat they waive the fees. I included a copy of my CCI ID card and graduation certificatewith the fax. The fax number is 1-242-325-3960.

You should be able to have any necessary vaccinations doneby your Idaho vet as long as he/she issues certificates with the requiredinformation for your Florida vet to use to fill out the health certificate.

I think we were all nervous before our first cruise with ourservice dog – I know I was; once you have taken him you and your husband willfeel much more relxed about it.

Dianne

Thanks for the information.

How long do I wait to follow up with the Bahamas on their approval? Who do I call/contact to follow up?

Linda and Halo

So we took the 16-hour overnight Marine Atlantic car ferry Wednesday and arrived in eastern Newfoundland on Thursday. Poor Raylene refused to use the relief station despite numerous trips to it, and went about 18 hours without a pee and longer than that without pooping.

That sounds awful Chris - it is impossible to relax until the relief box situation is taken care of! They put kitty litter in the relief box on our Hawaii cruise in April and so far that is the only surface Henri has refused to use. We only tried it a few times before I insisted that they go out and get the sod that they had promised us they would have. They never got enough sod to fill the box, but it was enough to make it workable.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Dianne

Thanks for the information.

How long do I wait to follow up with the Bahamas on their approval? Who do I call/contact to follow up?

Linda and Halo

I had difficulty getting the fax to go through at first - I was constantly getting a busy signal. Once I got the fax to go through, they faxed the permit to me three days later. I have seen a couple of different phone numbers for the Bahamas Dept of Agriculture try 1-242-397-7450 or 1-242-325-7502.

Dianne