Triumph. New Orleans. Cozumel, Progresso FTTF?

Lee2385

Well it will get you to the buffet quicker! On a side note, when in Progreso, do yourself a favor and stay on the ship. Very little to see and tons of merchants that won't stop bothering you. Of course these are my opinions and expect to be bashed by my fellow CC users.

Well it will get you to the buffet quicker! On a side note, when in Progreso, do yourself a favor and stay on the ship. Very little to see and tons of merchants that won't stop bothering you. Of course these are my opinions and expect to be bashed by my fellow CC users.

I agree, Progresso is only worth it if you want to go to chichen itza

As for FTTF, it's worth it if you want to arrive on the ship as soon as you are able to board then yes. If you are more leisurely in your boarding time then probably not.

This itinerary was our first cruise to NOT have FTTF and we didn't miss it at all. We got to the port a little later than our typical time, we went over to the mall first and then went over around 12:30 I think. We were able to go right on board. We don't carry sodas onboard as we always do cheers, so we just had a light carry on and it was no big deal. I was glad we saved the money that time. NOLA was a super easy and quick port both getting on and off. FTTF was sold out.

That said, I already bought it for my next cruise out of Galveston. I am very impatient, so its worth the extra money to save a little waiting getting my vacation started and ending. :)

I had FTTF for this cruise last year and again for my next one in a couple of days. I think FTTF is worth it no matter what cruise you're on. Although I agree with everyone above. Progresso is sort of meh. We will get out and shop for a bit but we booked the spa for that afternoon instead of exploring Progresso. There doesn't seem to be much to do there.

We loved the stop in Progresso.

The bus that takes you for free from the ship into the town offers lots of tours at low prices. We ended up with getting a private taxi tour to see the flamingo lagoon and some small ruins where we were the only ones climbing them!!

Great day!!

FTTF is always worth it to us for getting on and off the ship early with cabin ready.

If you don't care about that then don't buy it.

Don't listen to the people telling you to stay on the ship in Progreso. There are several mayan ruins excursions you can go on. You can go to Merida which is a city of 1million and just a half hour away. There are all-inclusive beaches and there is a free beach just a couple blocks from where the free shuttle drops you off. Check out the autoprogreso website. They are the ones who provide the free shuttle.

There are plenty of things to do in Progreso...you just have get out of the town. We have booked numerous excursions through Autoprogreso tours and have enjoyed all of them!

As far as FTTF goes, I wouldn't buy it for this cruise. Neither place is a tender port.

Edited by h_blond2

If you can move past the chaotic security in New Orleans, it probably would be for me but I don't think you get past that area any faster. Neither Progresso or Cozumel are tender ports, so there isn't anything to be gained there. I guess in the end, it's really all up to you.

Hey guys is FTTF worth it for this cruise??? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If this is your first time to Progreso, you may want to check out AutoProgeso's web site and take their tour to Dzibilchaltun. It costs $32 pp and will take only four hours of your day. This site has an interesting museum. You can add a tour to Merida for $7 dollars extra.

The other maya ruin sites (Uxmal, Chitzen Itza) take more of your day, but are also worth seeing.

You can also go into town and have a nice lunch. There is a nice restaurant named Le Saint Bonnet which has good seafood.

Hope you will have a great time on the Triumph and enjoy your visit to Progreso!

Don't listen to the people telling you to stay on the ship in Progreso. There are several mayan ruins excursions you can go on. You can go to Merida which is a city of 1million and just a half hour away. There are all-inclusive beaches and there is a free beach just a couple blocks from where the free shuttle drops you off. Check out the autoprogreso website. They are the ones who provide the free shuttle.

I agree.

We have done a bunch of stuff in Progreso.

Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Dzibilchaltum, Merida, Went to see the salt pools, flamingos and a resort.

The only one we booked through Carnival was Chichen Itza.

Plus we have ridden the two dollar, three dollar, however much it is now bus.

Sat on the beach and went to the flea market.

In no way is this a bash, so respect and apologies if it feels so. There are massive advantages to skipping a port and having the ship's amenities all to yourself for a day.

But, it is certainly also possible to make use of Progreso if you want to feel like you experienced a foreign country and culture. We did a private excursion with Lawson's. Had Jesus in a 4 door sedan driving my family of 3 to Uxmal ruins and the nearby Choco Museum. We felt like royalty and this was easily the highlight of our cruise, above and beyond everything on the ship, which we also enjoyed very much! Even our taxi driver on the pier, who we were with just a few minutes, treated us with the utmost care, ensuring we found Jesus at the meeting point before leaving us. The Uxmal ruins attract only a few visitors compared to the mad rush of Chichen Itza, and you can also climb on many of the structures so it is very interactive. The Choco Story Museum across the road is a little gem for kids to enjoy and they make you a cup of authentic dark hot chocolate that is nothing like Swiss Miss!

The beaches and ocean surf in that area of the Yucatan are not the tranquil turquoise waters of the Caribbean, and we are not drinkers, so the beach excursions in Progreso held no appeal for us, but some of those looking for a rowdy spring break experience seemed to enjoy them. I get it. I was young once!

If we returned to this port I would consider one of the foodie / cooking excursions where you make your own salsa, but of course you can get all the free salsa you want at Blue Iguana onboard so that's just a personal interest. Check out all the options before you decide and surely you will enjoy the stop one way or another. :)

Hey guys is FTTF worth it for this cruise??? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was for us. We arrived at the terminal really early, like 9:30 and this put us as the 3rd family in the FTTF group so we boarded right after the suites/Platinum guests, though we did sit around a good 2 hours before boarding. Here we were at the front corner of this massive waiting area as we watched thousands of people file in and sit down behind us. We carried on (rolled on, really) all of our bags and I loved going right to our room to unpack and also loved peeking in all the open doors of the rooms still being made up :evilsmile:. Felt like I was legally trespassing. Stuff is going on as soon as you board and we got right to it; barely noticed that we were just sitting at the dock in New Orleans because our voyage was well underway.

We needed to drive back after and had a shot at doing the 13 hour drive in one day. Being the first off at the end of cruise was a huge factor. We were on the first shuttle to the Fulton Street Garage and out of New Orleans city limits shortly after 8am. and yes, we made it home right about bedtime. We signed up for FTTF upon booking our upcoming Miami cruise in January as well, though the experience might vary on a different ship in a different port. Willing to take the risk for 60 bucks.

FTTF usually sold out by the time I book. I live in New Orleans and usually do a late booking through Pack and Go specials. But it has never bothered us to sit and wait. Usually the embarkation is pretty quick. Debarkation takes a bit longer. And Progreso is okay if you leave the city. The city beach can be full of vendors who pester you. I prefer a tour or paid-for beach at private facility. (I didn't cruise to be pestered. I get enough of that at work!)