Battery Management 101

pierces

Well, 1, 2, 3...

Fate and a project landed a PTouch printer in my possession and I was inspired to do something I should have done ages ago.

Lithium-Ion batteries have a finite number of charging cycles. It's a pretty big number, 500-1000, but still, I thought with my new gloriously (painfully?) expensive Z-series batteries I wanted to make sure one didn't get the majority of use and suffer capacity degradation at the worst possible time. Because it will always be at the worst possible time.

To ensure this wouldn't happen, I would need to add a level of management that wasn't difficult to follow and manage. Because self-awareness told me that if it wasn't easy, I would eventually let it slide.

I numbered them. (duh!)

p3000071359-4.jpg

Oldest battery is #1 and newly purchased ones always get an ascending number, never using earlier numbers again if you retire them before you sell the camera. When you take #1 out to charge, insert # 2, etc.

Simple, eh?

Happy Shooting!

Dave

I just use a silver Sharpie marker to number them. (You can remove it if need be with a dry erase marker). It helps too, to remember which batteries have been used and need to be charged when you get home if you always use them in sequence.

Only note is make sure not to tape on any heat generating part of a battery or anywhere it will affect loading (some cameras have very little tolerance). I also use a silver sharpie on my Nikon batteries, A, B and C. For my sony's I don't really care, I use Wasabis and they are fairly cheap.