Excel spreadsheet for packing?

mehitabel

I'm compiling a packing list in my Word program, but it's not as easy to read as I'd like. I've heard of people using their Excel programs to make packing spreadsheets, but how are they formatted?

I appreciate the help!

I don't use any specific pre-prepared format, I just use the columns and adjust the size, making it landscape before printing out. I do use a header label, just for saving so I can access my list quickly.

I have used seperate pages for each of us in the past, but not always. It depends on the trip and who is going.

Let me see if I can attach it, I'm not real good at this:

nope...didn't happen, sorry!

I really think a person does need their own personalized packing list. What one person needs is not what the next person would dream of taking.

Edited by Happy ks

I'm just not sure where to start--I don't want to copy someone else's, but I'd like ideas on how they've arranged things. Separate columns for the days? Or for the type of clothing? Both?

My whole grasp of spatial relationships is not the best!

DH does this for us, so I just asked him.

He uses excel and arranges by type of garment/item, and he keeps track of how many days... ie: 14 nt cruise he knows he'll need 3 formal shirts (1 tux, cufflinks, etc. and yes dont hate we still play dress up lol) Tee shirts would be 14+, shorts etc...I'm not sure that made sense...

I have links to older threads on 'what to bring', I can repost if you're interested- but as for how, he uses excel and specific items not by day..(altho that could work as well then just tally)

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ

I'm pretty sure I know what I want/need to bring ... I just love making lists and having concrete evidence in front of me. For me, getting there really is half the fun, including all of the planning that some people might find tedious.

Thank you both for your suggestions!

I use Word and have it formatted in 3 columns to get it all in one page. I organize the list into category sections: carryon items, cosmetic/toiletries, clothing, shoes, misc, and vacation checklist (charge batteries, cancel newspaper, computer off, clean out fridge, take out trash, water plants, away messages, etc)

I do mine by daytime and evenings for each day, and I colour some items to help me figure out how to repeat them on the cruise.

I have a separate list also that lists the essentials, and then I organize the clothing in this one.

packingplan001.jpg

That's a pretty involved list, but it looks nice.

Mine is simple:

Carry on column

Suitcase column

I know how many days and nights there are and just count how many pair of pant/shorts/tops/dresses will be necessary.

Packing from a rolling rack is what helps me out the most. I can see at a glance what I have, what will mix and match and all accessories are hung with each outfit. All folded clothing and shoes underneath.

Of course, I don't plan on what I'll be wearing each day on a list, I just make my choice the morning of.

My toiletry case is always packed, that saves hours when planning and packing.

KandC, that's perfect! I'm going to do my darnedest to take just a carry-on and a backpack (instead of a purse), so that'll help me "see" everything I'm taking in my head. Especially with the colors like that.

Thanks so much!

I do mine by daytime and evenings for each day, and I colour some items to help me figure out how to repeat them on the cruise.

I have a separate list also that lists the essentials, and then I organize the clothing in this one.

packingplan001.jpg

I love it! Thanks for the idea

In the past I have made my lists using WordPerfect and added little "boxes" so I can check off what I have put in the suitcase, found in the closet, etc.

My lists were divided into carry on bag, DH's misc. items, my misc. items, general misc., and clothes. I also had another list with days of the week and how many changes, etc.

However, having just read about using Excel (particularly the colored option for repeats) I think I'm going to give that a try for our upcoming Feb. trip.

What a great board this is!! Now if I could just figure out how to upload a pix of my new dress I'd ask for help with shoe selection.

Funny my Excel list is almost indentical to KandC and find it so useful. It is more useful to figure out what I am missing, things I need to buy before the packing begins.... I many need costume jewerly for an outfit, new pair of shoes, ect. Once I lay out what I am going to pack in our guest room I pretty much forget about the spreadsheet.. job done!

Another point about the spreadsheet is well it is just plain fun to do this planning, try on different things, makes the waiting time entertaining!!

I color code what I need to buy. I also do it by day even though aside from formal once on a cruise I am not wearing what was on my list for that day. The days just tell me how much I need to pack for the length of the cruise.

I also use an Excel spreadsheet to track my daily caloires, weight and exercise. I live by this spreadsheet and open it every day. For me though this is used to help me discipline my weight and exercise, nothing to do with a cruise!

packingplan001.jpg

And I thought I was AR! LOL I love it!

I'm glad you like it! :) The chart has been working for me.

And I thought I was AR! LOL I love it!
Don't know if AR'ness has much to do with it for me. More like fear of not taking enough clothes or of taking too many.

We have yet to book a cruise more than three months before it. Our 2009 cruise we booked 5 days before and the list format saved me some stress.

I live in a small house and the list helps me organize without having to lay everything on the bed like my first cruise.

I do allow myself to switch outfits up when I'm on board. Helps to know what's in that tiny cabin closet too.

I also use an Excel spreadsheet to track my daily caloires, weight and exercise. I live by this spreadsheet and open it every day. For me though this is used to help me discipline my weight and exercise, nothing to do with a cruise!

This should be my next chart I do. I have no discipline to keep exercising.

Thanks KandC! Great format. :D

I sort of packed last week, but we have relocated into temporary housing so I was packing for job interviews, regular life, cold weather and a cruise. I KNOW I missed a bunch of stuff so I'm going to copy your sheet and start over at square one --- before I do too much shopping.

I like the spreadsheet with color blocks. I may borrow the idea...:) I used to use a packing list until I found polyvore dot com. I pick out clothes I already own, or very similar, (you can import your own photos) and mix and match outfits there. It's easy to see what only gets worn once or twice. For our trip in April I'm making a cork board version with photos torn from catalogs (I'm a Lands End junkie) and magazines. I guess this only works if you have photos of your clothes. I tear out pictures from magazines/catalogs to take shoppping with me just to keep focused:D, so I have the pics already. Just an idea for those of you who need to actually see what you need to pack, like me...:o

I use Word and have it formatted in 3 columns to get it all in one page. I organize the list into category sections: carryon items, cosmetic/toiletries, clothing, shoes, misc, and vacation checklist (charge batteries, cancel newspaper, computer off, clean out fridge, take out trash, water plants, away messages, etc)

That's pretty much what I do too.

I have a folder on my desktop labeled TRAVEL . I put all my lists there. I Label them Packing List Cruise 09 or Packing List NYC or whatever I will recognize. I can check previous lists to see want I brought on specific trips. If a trip I am taking is similar, I might start by copying and pasting the list in a new document and working from there

I use a chart very similar to what was posted above except I have added spaces for jewelry and other accessories such as shoes and purses. For example, I have an Omega necklace with interchangeable "dangles" so I list which dangle/earrings goes with which formal night. ie black pearl with black dress, blue with blue dress, etc.

ALso makes it easy to see if I've left anything in the room safe or drawer if I check them off as they go in the jewelry bag.

Yes, I overpack and overplan. :D

I use Excel in my full time job all the time, and have a 'master' packing list that i copy and rename for each cruise, event, or travel occasion. I have a daily lline showing what to wear to dinner each night, as well as a 'casual' section for shorts and tops. Then, I have sections for CarryOn (documents, book, one swimming suit, etc), Girl Stuff, (moisturizers, nail polish, curling iron, etc) and Necessities (pillow, travel fan, binoculars, books, etc).

When it's time to pack, I just take a basket and 'trick or treat' around my room and bathroom, pulling everything on the list. When it goes in the suitcase, it is lightly crossed off in pencil, so I can use it on the trip.

One MUST Have in the carryon--my alarm clock. Last thing to be packed, and useful if your flight is delayed and you want to catch 40 winks at the airport...

packingplan001.jpg

OMG...I do the SAME thing. Our travel friends make fun of me all the time. As a matter of fact, when we are home, and I cannot decide what to wear, one of my travel friends always says, "why don't you check your spreadsheet". I LOVE making the spreadsheet, pack by the spreadsheet, and follow the spreadsheet most of the time. I find it makes life so much simpler on an amazingly simple vacation. I don't have to use ANY brain cells!

• 3 weeks later...

packingplan001.jpg

This looks exactly like mine.:) When I first saw it I wondered for a moment how you managed to get a hold of MY spreadsheet.:D This is a excellent way to keep from over packing.

Edited by letscruisegd