What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

I never knew about these, do all of the NCL ships have them? How can you check to see if your cabin is one of these are they in a certain category?

I don't believe the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships have them. But I believe many of the older ships do.

We are sailing on Escape to Bermuda 9-30-18. We booked an 02 forward facing family oceanview. Got the invitation to bid on upgrade to either balcony or mini-suite at exactly 80 days. Decided not to bid since I don't like being in limbo over which cabin we will get. I called this morning and was able to upgrade to an angled balcony on 9 for $380 total for three of us. There is also a $100 onboard credit with this offer, making my true expense $280. We generally don't use the balcony that much, but with all the sea days, I think the money spent will be worth it.

[" The opinions about the Haven seemed split. Half the people say they would never sail without being in the Haven, the other half say they would never waste the money as you can do two cruises for the price of one Haven room. Each side is adamant about their position. So it comes down to what matters to us."

An economist would tell you that NCL has priced it perfectly if exactly 1/2 had to have it and 1/2 said they wouldn't spend the money!:cool:

10 more days to wait and see if we receive an upgrade offer on our 10/14 Escape sailing. I understand that not everyone receives one?

I am on that sailing! What category are you hoping to upgrade from/to? As for receiving the invite, I have gotten one for both my cruises so far. It seems like those who don't receive them are booked through TAs that don't participate in the program. If you booked directly through NCL, you should receive one for sure.

8/9 Breakaway Baltic cruise and I was notified last Wednesday (7/11) that my $55pp bid was accepted. I went from a balcony to a mini-suite. I put bids in on all the Havens available in the fair range and put the mini suite in the very minimum of the poor range. The bigger bathroom is definitely worth the $110 for the 10 days so I will take it!

8/9 Breakaway Baltic cruise and I was notified last Wednesday (7/11) that my $55pp bid was accepted. I went from a balcony to a mini-suite. I put bids in on all the Havens available in the fair range and put the mini suite in the very minimum of the poor range. The bigger bathroom is definitely worth the $110 for the 10 days so I will take it!

On the Breakaway 08/18 sailing, received my upgrade confirmation email on 07/11 which is about 5 weeks out.

Was in a mini, placed bid of $1250 pp for Haven 2 bedroom, which was in the poor range, I had bid on all the Havens except DOS, needless to say I was stunned I won and was notified so early and extremely delighted with the 2 bedroom for 3 adults

10 more days to wait and see if we receive an upgrade offer on our 10/14 Escape sailing. I understand that not everyone receives one?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have always gotten one. Until now. For my Breakaway TA. I got one for the Baltic cruise I am on before.

I only book thru NCL so it has nothing to do with a travel agent. I know they send out more emails as time gets closer

lol I guess they think I don't want to change my cabin, which I really don't unless it's to the owners suite

I am on that sailing! What category are you hoping to upgrade from/to? As for receiving the invite, I have gotten one for both my cruises so far. It seems like those who don't receive them are booked through TAs that don't participate in the program. If you booked directly through NCL, you should receive one for sure.

We are booked through CAS so we should get one although I heard it’s arbitrary. We got an email for our Gem Cruise last Feb and successfully upgraded from a balcony to a forward facing penthouse suite. This time all I want is a balcony. We booked an ocean view.

We are booked through CAS so we should get one although I heard it’s arbitrary. We got an email for our Gem Cruise last Feb and successfully upgraded from a balcony to a forward facing penthouse suite. This time all I want is a balcony. We booked an ocean view.

We book thru CAS every time and have always gotten the offer.

Hi all! This is our first cruise on NCL, and my first cruise in nearly 20 years!

I just put in a bid (exactly at 80 days, I'm eager) for an H7. I'm afraid it's a bit too low, so I'm hoping that ship capacity, being hurricane season, may be lower.

ANYWAY! My question is, am I able to bid on 2 upgrades at once? Has anyone ever done this before? If so, is it possible for both bids to be accepted? I cannot decide between the two options, and I kind of want to leave it to fate if one is accepted... :o:o:o

Hi all! This is our first cruise on NCL, and my first cruise in nearly 20 years!

I just put in a bid (exactly at 80 days, I'm eager) for an H7. I'm afraid it's a bit too low, so I'm hoping that ship capacity, being hurricane season, may be lower.

ANYWAY! My question is, am I able to bid on 2 upgrades at once? Has anyone ever done this before? If so, is it possible for both bids to be accepted? I cannot decide between the two options, and I kind of want to leave it to fate if one is accepted... :o:o:o

If you mean bid on two categories then yes. I would only do that if you'd be absolutely happy with either. And no, only one will be accepted.

If you mean bid on two categories then yes. I would only do that if you'd be absolutely happy with either. And no, only one will be accepted.

Thank you! So basically, they can see that you've bid on multiple cabins, so they will assign one if you're accepted? Sorry - this is just such a foreign idea to me. lol

Thank you! So basically, they can see that you've bid on multiple cabins, so they will assign one if you're accepted? Sorry - this is just such a foreign idea to me. lol

NCL uses a third party data company to process their upgrade bidding. They use an algorithm when processing bids that, we mostly assume just maximizes the earning potential of the sailing. It will accept or reject your bid based on what is going to net NCL the most money. Keep in mind that accepting a bid has a ripple effect through the whole ship. If your bid to a Haven suite is accepted, that frees up your original room, which can then be awarded to a bidder who bid on that category, which opens up THAT room to someone who bid on it and on down the chain. So it's not just the dollar amount of your bid that is a factor, but the bids of those below you in the chain.

In any case, the algorithm is only going to award you one upgrade at most. If you bid in multiple categories, it will determine which bid, if any, is worth accepting.

NCL uses a third party data company to process their upgrade bidding. They use an algorithm when processing bids that, we mostly assume just maximizes the earning potential of the sailing. It will accept or reject your bid based on what is going to net NCL the most money. Keep in mind that accepting a bid has a ripple effect through the whole ship. If your bid to a Haven suite is accepted, that frees up your original room, which can then be awarded to a bidder who bid on that category, which opens up THAT room to someone who bid on it and on down the chain. So it's not just the dollar amount of your bid that is a factor, but the bids of those below you in the chain.

In any case, the algorithm is only going to award you one upgrade at most. If you bid in multiple categories, it will determine which bid, if any, is worth accepting.

Thank you for such a thorough explanation! :):)

No problem! You are bidding on a category or categories. If you win NCL will assign your specific cabin and that can't be changed. So if you really want a certain deck, location, etc then the bidding process might not be a good idea.

I went from a balcony to H5 on Escape last year and loved it! Sailing on Sky Monday, still patiently (!!!) waiting to hear if my bid was accepted or not :D

Waiting until 2 days before the cruise to communicate winning bids is a bit unnecessary, in my opinion.

Two WEEKS before is a better target for those who are traveling before their cruises and need to change reservations, etc. if their bid is accepted.

Just announce a “last day for bidding” and alert the winners the next morning!

Waiting until 2 days before the cruise to communicate winning bids is a bit unnecessary, in my opinion.

Two WEEKS before is a better target for those who are traveling before their cruises and need to change reservations, etc. if their bid is accepted.

Believe it or not, there are some people who will wait until the week before to book a cruise. If someone is willing to buy it at the full asking price, NCL makes more money than accepting a low bid. This is the same as airlines that used to sell their excess capacity (when they actually had it) by offering ridiculously low fares via email 2-3 days in advance.

So many people probably increase their bids as it gets closer because they're nervous they haven't heard anything. I bet that's why some aren't decided early.

I'm waiting to hear on a balcony upgrade on the POA sailing 07/28. I'm in a guarantee inside cabin so I have no choice as to where they'll put me anyway. I didn't bid on the oceanview. I'm not holding out any hope though, as it appears this sailing has been booked full for weeks.

They don't always wait until just two days before sailing to process bids. It usually seems to happen more in the 4-7 day range. And we've definitely seen some get processed a couple of weeks out. But Dave is right. They want to maximize their chances of getting someone to pay full price before accepting bids. I think that the trigger for bid acceptance is when they would have to lower prices on the remaining rooms in order to have any hope of filling them anyway. At that point, they might as well start accepting bids.

You can bid on more than one. If you win, NCL will award you only one and you won't know which one until you hear from them. You won't be able to change what they give you. I hope this helps. Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app