Jade Live- Norwegian fjords from Hamburg to Southampton.

Thanks for a great review. I was wondering, based on the times traveling up and departing the fjords, should I book a starboard or port balcony? I was thinking the most scenic side would be better in am since in the pm I would be getting ready for dinner, dinner, shows. What is your opinion? And which do you think is the most scenic side in the am?

My pleasure! You are in for a real treat. We were port side and loved it, but i did one of those bid to balcony cabins so we ended up port by happenstance. I honestly don’t think you can go wrong either way. The ride into Gieranger was like 6 hours and flam was several hours too. My favorite mornings was out on the balcony sipping coffee during sail in, which really isn’t a sail in because it takes so long. The fjords are narrow so much of the same scenery is on both sides. Port will have 7 sisters waterfall in Gieranger. Amazing stuff - you are in for a real treat! Sailing into Bergen and alesund port was city side. Doesnt matter for Hamburg, London, Haugesund, or Kristiansand. Happy to answer any other questions. Did I mention you are in for a real treat? ENJoY!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pleasure! You are in for a real treat. We were port side and loved it, but i did one of those bid to balcony cabins so we ended up port by happenstance. I honestly don’t think you can go wrong either way. The ride into Gieranger was like 6 hours and flam was several hours too. My favorite mornings was out on the balcony sipping coffee during sail in, which really isn’t a sail in because it takes so long. The fjords are narrow so much of the same scenery is on both sides. Port will have 7 sisters waterfall in Gieranger. Amazing stuff - you are in for a real treat! Sailing into Bergen and alesund port was city side. Doesnt matter for Hamburg, London, Haugesund, or Kristiansand. Happy to answer any other questions. Did I mention you are in for a real treat? ENJoY!

We are sailing Norway on the Jade on August 25, 2018. Very much enjoyed reading all your posts - thank you for taking the time to share! Unfortunately there is very limited information on Norwegian ports on CC! ~Joyce

Keith- it would be my pleasure :). We have reservations at cagneys and leBistro (twice each). We elected to skip LaCucina this trip, but I'll shoot a photo of the menu there just for you :)

Could you please tell me who the Cruise Director is on your trip. Maybe Archie???

Happy to answer any other question

Hello Cheryl, I hope you‘re doing fine?

A good friend of mine John (aka Tiembiay) is doing almost the same trip like we did last August to Norway. I think I have in mind that you‘ve stayed at the Clipper Elb-Lodge in Hamburg previously to our cruise and you‘ve been quite happy with your choice. For which rate did you get this hotel and which website did you use to book it? If you could provide John & Jane with this information it would be great!

Thanks a lot

Oliver

It’s a fantastic hotel location

Hallo Cheryl,

Thanks a lot. We‘re doing pretty fine here in Germany beside the awful weather this winter.No snow, temp. around the low 40ies, grey, rain...

Like the weather expected to have in Norway, Not like we had last summer. As every crew member told us: the best weather they‘ve sailed ever in this region...

Cheers Oliver

• 1 month later...
OP and others, I was wondering if you would do Norway again? I have the opportunity to go on the Jade twice this summer one week apart. The two trips do go to some different ports. Would you do it?

Definitely I really enjoyed it, it wasn’t as hectic as our usual Med cruise. My son who has Autism rated it as his best ever holiday & would have like to go again this year. We are sailing on Inaugural Carnival Horizon this year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Omgosh... yes yes yes! We enjoy land travels too and plan to go back to Norway in 3 years to do a land trip. It’s like a combo of Alaska and Banff (which we love too). Also, traveling two weeks apart could yield entirely different experiences as weather changes rapidly. What ports are you repeating?

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Thank you for posting all this wonderful and helpful information!!!

We are traveling on the Jade August 25, from Southampton doing an almost identical itinerary.

Was there an extra room service charge for having coffee in the room in the mornings?

Thank you,

Gull

Hi,

Thank you for posting all this wonderful and helpful information!!!

We are traveling on the Jade August 25, from Southampton doing an almost identical itinerary.

Was there an extra room service charge for having coffee in the room in the mornings?

Thank you,

Gull

Continental breakfast (coffee, juice, pastries) is no charge for room service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gull- so excited for you!! This is an amazing itinerary. It’s getting to the time where Facebook is starting to post memories of our trip preparations and it makes my heart smile with great memories. You are in for an amazing treat!! Ask away and I’ll help in any way that I can :)

• 3 weeks later...
Seems good. Is the Continental Breakfast delivered into your room ?

It's a very short menu for room service delivery only early morning. It is free, but only coffee, juice, tea, and some assorted pastries.

(From my iPad, so please forgive the errors)

I think i remember more than just pastries. I do know We had fruit and yogurt for breakfast on days we had big excursions. It’s possible we grabbed the yogurt and fruit at the buffet for the next morning or maybe DH ran up to the buffet and brought it back? We were recently spoiled with Celebrity’s full complimentary breakfast delivered. I do know ncl continental menu is limited, but it Will do the trick in a pinch. Have fun

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, does anyone who has been on this cruise know whether, at Southampton, there is a separate check-in area for suite guests?? (Not sweet guests as I'm sure they're all sweet in their own way :rolleyes:

Many thanks in advance.