American Queen

MLinFL

Some clarification, please. We traveled on the American Queen many years ago when she was new. I seem to remember having doors that opened to a common deck and also that when walking out the door to the hallway, it was not all covered/enclosed. We were in Cabin 419. Could someone tell me if this is the case? Or am I not remembering correctly.

Thanks,

Mary Lou

Some clarification, please. We traveled on the American Queen many years ago when she was new. I seem to remember having doors that opened to a common deck and also that when walking out the door to the hallway, it was not all covered/enclosed. We were in Cabin 419. Could someone tell me if this is the case? Or am I not remembering correctly.

Thanks,

Mary Lou

You are correct. The cabin opens to the outside deck. It has an overhang above from deck 5. We were on deck 5 last Christmas and our cabin opened to the outside. You can check our deck layout on their website. We had aa great time and are booked on the new Empress Thanksgiving.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You are correct. The cabin opens to the outside deck. It has an overhang above from deck 5. We were on deck 5 last Christmas and our cabin opened to the outside. You can check our deck layout on their website. We had aa great time and are booked on the new Empress Thanksgiving.

Do the cabins on all the decks open to the outside or are some of them enclosed? As we only cruised on the Queen that one time, I don't recall. I tried looking at the deck plan but it still is a little confusing. We are thinking of going again, but this time in a cabin with a private veranda on Deck 3. It looks like this deck would be enclosed - does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Mary Lou

Any advice to offer about location? I'm looking at a AAA category cabin so I would be on deck 5. Any advantage to being midship, as compared to aft, just forward of the OS class cabins?

Midship puts you near elevators and central staircase. Forward gives you quicker access to the Front Porch Cafe (via exterior stairs), Front open deck on Deck 4, Chart room. It's not a huge boat, so it's not a long walk from any point.

Your entrance is on the inside. Your Veranda should be covered from the deck above. As ours was.

Dwight:):)

Thanks for the information - we hope to enjoy the American Queen again sometime soon.

Do the cabins on all the decks open to the outside or are some of them enclosed? We are thinking of going again, but this time in a cabin with a private veranda on Deck 3. It looks like this deck would be enclosed - does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Mary Lou

The rooms right forward of the wheel on deck 3 have sliding windows enclosing them to keep the spray from the wheel off of the balcony. Although these rooms are larger than the others in the same category I would not recommend them. The vibration and noise of the Z-drives can be quite bothersome. I stayed in room 383 once and would not stay there again. And, yes, for the other balcony rooms along the boat's sides there would be a door from the hallway into your room plus a door out to your balcony on the guard, the outer side deck of a steamboat.

As far as AAA rooms go, I have stayed in room 504, the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE suite, and would do it again. I chose it for purely sentimental reasons as my father was a chief engineer on her and I a purser. Also it and 503 and the AAA rooms on the port side have a door into the hallway and out onto the guard.

That's a nice room. You will have two doors into the room, one from the inside hallway ant the other from the guard. My large suitcase did fit under the bed, so if an airline accepts it as checked luggage there should be no problem.

That's a nice room. You will have two doors into the room, one from the inside hallway ant the other from the guard. My large suitcase did fit under the bed, so if an airline accepts it as checked luggage there should be no problem.

Calliope, would two large suitcases fit under the bed? Thx, Rick

Two cases can go under the bed if their size allows them to be checked on an airplane.

Thanks Calliope!! I appreciate the quick response and info. This is our 1st stateside river cruise and 1st time with AQ. Done some European river and some ocean. Looking forward to the paddlewheel and a cruise thru a part of the US we have not seen before.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know what the luggage storage is like on the AQ? We are in 508 on the August mighty Miss. and would like to have 2 large suit cases but don't know what storage is like. Thx, Rick

Are you doing the August 20th cruise the entire length?

If so that is what we are on room 460.