What is your all time favorite ship that no longer exists?

• 1 month later...
I also loved the Norway - not at first as we'd previously cruised on the maiden season of the Enchant,net of the Seas which was new and sparkling.

The Norway, in contrast, seemed old and a bit run down. But by chance we were given the upgrade of all upgrades by no less than the Chairman of NCL who was onboard the Norway with his family on this transatlantic cruise. We had a few problems with our cabins and he invited us to a cocktail party in the Royal Suite and offered it to us for the duration of the cruise, it was magnificent and so full of history, a once in a lifetime opportunity. We grew to love her and the sight of her from the tender was something to behold. She was a classic liner with beautiful lines despite the additions,by NCL.

But my first love has to be the SS Australis, once the SS America. She was my first cruise ship and I fell in love with her and cruising there and then. She didn't have all the bells and whistles and the food was very average but it was so exciting to sail on her. We also loved Ellinis and Britannis which we sailed on later, and both of these exuded elegance.

I believe there were two big suites in the older section of Norway...Royal and Presidential? They were fabulous and you were really lucky to have had one. Was the Chairman Knute Klosster?

Also...the dining room on the Australis/America had to be one of the most beautiful dining rooms ever.

I remember the two jewish named suites back on the upper level of the restaurant deck the sheherazad was one of the rooms we had the B category rooms along side one side of the ship there, where you had a double bed and a upper lower twins with a bathtub\shower combo bathroom

trying to think of the other rooms name..... its filed away in my memory bank somewhere...... anyway the rooms had a jewish star on the wall beside the door with the cabin # maybe and the name of the suite for sure

• 4 months later...
Its nice to reminisce from the good old days, when cruising was actually classy. You can't compare these ships to todays standards, yes some good did come with time, but you can't replace the mahogany and brass, the intimacy, the interaction between passengers and crew...how many of you danced with the captain or officers at the cocktail parties where caviar was served, and the champagne flowed.

I sailed the Seabreeze and Britannis a couple of times, but mostly we sailed the Regal Empress. Most of the time Captain Rolf was at the helm, and boy did he like the ladies. That ship smelled like diesel fuel and old socks, but it was pure class.

I miss the days of ocean liners as compared to cruising. Give me diesel fuel odors, old socks and the smell of teak decks drying in the sun after their daily scrub. Some of the happiest days of my life.

• 2 weeks later...

way way back in the day when we first started cruising on the sunward II and carnival we had friends that sailed song of America as well

after we'd cruised a couple times and given everyone around the word on it, my cousin and his wife and some other great friends sailed emerald seas and A guy I worked with that's wife worked with my wife sailed the Dolphin and a couple other of that era ships on the Miami to Nassau run on those old "party cruises"

:)

• 3 weeks later...

My 5 cruises on the ssNorway were really great, 2 transatlantic crossings and 3 seven day Caribbean cruises.

My all time favorite was on a ship still sailing these days, MV Artania, 34 years old, holding up very well. The Royal Princess 1984, all outside cabins, a splendid ship.

In 1986, I took a 2 week Panama Canal cruise, San Juan to LA, a Les Brown big band cruise, and there were probably less than 20 of us under 50 (I was 39)! It gave me an idea of what it was like in the bygone age of cruises. People dressed up every night, danced to the band before dinner, after dinner, it was awesome. Les Brown and his band were so personable, gracious, fun to be around, totally intermingled with passengers. I miss those days of my 1st cruises in the 1980s, 1990s, every cruise was so special. I love cruising, take a big cruise (never less than 14 days) every year but I am glad I got to see a glimpse of how it was.

Not even close. . . . . . .the Oceanic!

I agree the beautiful Oceanic. She was our honeymoon cruise 48 years ago, and we were instantly hooked on cruising. We have been very fortunate to cruise 2 times a year ever since. We also loved the Leonardo Da Vinci.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

A couple from our church sailed Emerald Seas for their honeymoon and I'm not sure if they ever took another cruise until about a two weeks ago! Now we've been married 39 yrs and they are basically about the same ageish and we've been lifelong friends at least the gal. Her hubby and I got up hay together when we were younger but lived in different counties so we didn't see much of each other growing up but knew of the other's existence thru my cousin steve.

Steve, my first cousin and his wife also honeymooned on Emerald Seas about the same time as well. Coinkidinkily, I don't think they'd ever cruised again till last summer when they went to Europe and as part of a several week tour took a weeklong river cruise! 

:classic_wink:late bloomers!

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2015 at 12:26 PM, Host Walt said:

Loved that ship and her sister the Fairwind./became the first Dawn Princess. I remember the Fairsea sailaway with Bobby McFarrin singing "Don't Worry, Be Happy" which set just the right tone for the cruise. It was the recording, of course, because sailaway was at 1:00am from San Juan and not too many people stayed up that late. At least on the Fair Sea we had a live band playing the Love Boat theme as we sailed away from Long Beach, CA in the late afternoon.

TSS Fairsea or any of the other Sitmar ships. They were the best!

• Like 1

My first of several cruises were on The QE2. My mom was a cruise addict and always grabbed one of us kids to go with, usually me. My first cruise with her she took all four of us kids. Los Angeles to Australia back in 1985. It was the best 3 weeks of making memories I‘ve ever had. My mom and I took cruises on her again in 1987, 1988 and 1989. We switched to Crystal Harmony around 1990. My brother actually worked on both. First, as part of the Cruise Staff under the Cruise Director John Butt on the QE2 and then worked his way up to sound and lighting director. My last cruise on Crystal Harmony was in 1992.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 2:31 PM, IowaChuck said:

Isn't the Marco Polo still sailing out of England with a different company?

Affirmative, the Marco Polo started life in the mid 60's as the Alexander Pushkin. It is still operating for CMV a UK based cruise line.

• 3 weeks later...