Cunard - new cruiser

Linksec

Hi everyone, this is my very first post (hope I've got it right). I'll be celebrating a big birthday in January 2019 and my husband is taking me on an awesome 'voyage/crossing' on the qm2 pre Christmas 2018 to January. This is an awesome forum with a wealth of info. Just thought it would be lovely to say 'hi'. Am off to reading threads as I have sooooo many questions . Xxx:):)

Many thanks Hattie.

Quick question - we are doing the 2018 Caribbean Christmas Celebration cruise which takes us back from the Caribbean to New York on 3 January 2019 prior to sailing back to the UK. Does anyone know roughly how much time we get to spend in New York before getting back on the boat? It would be lovely to know, as we have family in New York and wanted to know realistically how much time we will have (if any) to meet up with them - if only for a quick drink. Many thanks.

Many thanks Hattie.

Quick question - we are doing the 2018 Caribbean Christmas Celebration cruise which takes us back from the Caribbean to New York on 3 January 2019 prior to sailing back to the UK. Does anyone know roughly how much time we get to spend in New York before getting back on the boat? It would be lovely to know, as we have family in New York and wanted to know realistically hotransatlantic involved.w much time we will have (if any) to meet up with them - if only for a quick drink. Many thanks.

I was on the Caribbean cruise last year in November. I live 20 mins. from New York so no transatlantic involved. I enjoyed it so much I am doing it again this year, You will I am sure have a wonderful time and you will be amazed at the amount of " Brits" on board. Myself having lived in the UK for 19 years that was very special to me I enjoyed meeting so many wonderful passengers. Make sure sometimes you have breakfast in the Kings Court you will find your typical English breakfast items there.

Are you boarding in 15 December in Southampton or 22 December in New York? If the former, and in case it's not obvious, you will have more time for sightseeing on 3 January than you would on 22 December. 22 December is the conclusion of a crossing (obviously) so Immigration checks can take a long time. 3 January is the conclusion of a closed-loop New York cruise so the Immigration checks will be less involved.

Thanks, we are boarding on 22 December, and after the Caribbean, sailing home, so it's the 'closed loop'option, which I am guessing from your kind comment, means as we get slightly more time in NY as for us it is just a sort of shore visit.

Many thanks Hattie.

Quick question - we are doing the 2018 Caribbean Christmas Celebration cruise which takes us back from the Caribbean to New York on 3 January 2019 prior to sailing back to the UK. Does anyone know roughly how much time we get to spend in New York before getting back on the boat? It would be lovely to know, as we have family in New York and wanted to know realistically how much time we will have (if any) to meet up with them - if only for a quick drink. Many thanks.

I personally would think, it may be better if you met your family at Red Hook terminal and go to the Brooklyn Heights area for your day out. That way you would be able to spend more time with then and have no worries about getting back to the ship on time. I have seen people failing to get back to the ship on time thro’ traffic problems, when your next port of call could be Southampton. What ever you decide I am sure it will not be last cruise, just enjoy you special trip.😉

Thanks, we are boarding on 22 December, and after the Caribbean, sailing home, so it's the 'closed loop'option, which I am guessing from your kind comment, means as we get slightly more time in NY as for us it is just a sort of shore visit.

You'll have to clear US Immigration on January 3 but it won't be as involved a process as the passengers will endure on December 22.

We did a similar trip in 2009, it was wonderful.

When do you arrive in New York ? I don't want to worry you but that year not many of those who were due to arrive from the UK the same day made it and we were nearly snowed into our New York hotel.

Under normal circumstances, if you're on a Cunard flight and it runs late they will hold departure for a reasonable period. But if you're traveling on your own it's a good idea to arrive a couple of days early for some leisurely sightseeing.

The week running up to Christmas is low-occupancy in New York so room rates are very reasonable. We spent a couple of nights in a hotel near Macy's (the Hampton Inn on 35th street) for about $150++/night in 2017.

I personally would think, it may be better if you met your family at Red Hook terminal and go to the Brooklyn Heights area for your day out. That way you would be able to spend more time with then and have no worries about getting back to the ship on time. I have seen people failing to get back to the ship on time thro’ traffic problems, when your next port of call could be Southampton. What ever you decide I am sure it will not be last cruise, just enjoy you special trip.😉

On such occasions I tend to use the Cunard bus into Manhattan, (I think it stops near Macy's) usually plenty of time to meet up and have lunch with friend(s) and get the bus back to the ship. (The ship will always wait for the last bus)

You will arrive about 7.am and sail about 4.30. Depending on how long it takes to get through immigration you should be off before 9 am and aim to be back for 3pm so 6 hours or thereabouts.

Many thanks Lanky Lad, this is very helpful.

I was on the Caribbean cruise last year in November. I live 20 mins. from New York so no transatlantic involved. I enjoyed it so much I am doing it again this year, You will I am sure have a wonderful time and you will be amazed at the amount of " Brits" on board. Myself having lived in the UK for 19 years that was very special to me I enjoyed meeting so many wonderful passengers. Make sure sometimes you have breakfast in the Kings Court you will find your typical English breakfast items there.

Thanks for your reply Jeffrey, much appreciated. I can't wait to experience thus. Xxx