Dining alone in Britannia Club

CarrollQuinn

On our last but one cruise, one morning we were having breakfast in the Britannia restaurant on a shared table that was right by the window (the ship had already docked). I was looking at my phone and one of the other people on our table said I should put my phone away as it was rude. I told him I was looking up exactly where we were docked (i.e. sitting right now). He looked a bit puzzled so I showed him my phone with Google maps which of course shows your position on it. "So this is where we are right now, if you look out of the window, you can see it matches". He was taken aback that you could do such a thing ! (he'd clearly did not own a smart phone). Then he started asking me what else you could find out; could I tell him the weather forecast he asked ? So I told him. Then he asked if I could find out the weather at home, or the football results for his team. So I did. He was staggered, he actually said sorry for saying I was rude as he just had no idea it was a map/source of the news/everything you want to know !

• Like 1

I am taking a "memorial" Atlantic Crossing on Cunard and prefer to dine alone (I have a confirmed table for two). I realize another solo might be seated with me--but I can handle that.

My question is: if I am dining alone would it be acceptable if I were to read while dining? I've cruised quite a bit but not on Cunard (and never alone), and I accept that this line has protocols other may not.

Thank you.

I hope you are able to enjoy your memorial crossing and get great comfort in the special memories you have with your loved one.

• Like 1

To CarrollQuinn who submitted the original posting, I understand that if you are of a disposition where you would prefer to be alone whilst dining, that must be your first priority, BUT, I would ask that you give your seating arrangement some thought. My wife and I always ask for a table of 10+ and to date, we have rarely found ourselves on a table with people whom we couldn't take a liking to and if there is somebody not to our liking then we have plenty of other guests whose company we can enjoy.

We have sat at many tables with single guests and never found them to look as if they've been left alone or excluded. For us, part of the cruise is to enjoy the company of other diners, who you see around the ship, see around the ports of call and we have several friends who we keep in touch with over the years - all from our table conversations. Last Saturday we had "Facecall" with friends in Australia and the following day were surprised to receive another "Facecall" from friends in New York, all of whom we met whilst dining on a cruise.

Each person to their own, but I do feel that there are many enjoyable benefits to be had from the social event of a nice friendly dining table of guests. Good luck anyway whatever you choose - AND EMJOY YOUR CRUISE !!!!

I always sail solo and when first cruising I questioned whether it was rude to read while dining alone. (This is also a concern I had when dining at a land-based restaurant.) To avoid this problem (and to avoid the boredom of staring off into space), I used my dining time as an opportunity to write in a travel journal. It has worked out well. However, I have since gotten over the concern that reading at the table was somehow rude. In fact once in a nice restaurant in Las Vegas a while back, when I dined alone without any apparent reading material, the waiter/maitre 'd brought me a magazine to read, which I considered very thoughtful and a clear signal that even the best restaurants, reading was okay.

As a solo, at least for dinner, I have enjoyed traditional dining with set tablemates for a cruise as this does allow me to mingle with fellow passengers, but my last couple of cruises I have dined alone and it has been fine, so I think either option (dining with others or alone) is fine. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

OP: The only problem I can foresee if you do read a book is that if it's funny and you start laughing out loud!!

Seriously though, if you want to read then go for it and if I was sitting at the table next to you and you started to laugh I suspect I would be first in line to find out the title of the book and author. Then you might find you have met your new travelling companions!! :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I dine alone in an upscale restaurant, I almost always write my review of the establishment on my smartphone while between courses. If the waitstaff take notice, I often mention that I'm writing my review. I can't say for sure if it's had a positive impact on the service, but I can't say it hasn't.

While I agree that talking on the phone while in a restaurant is inappropriate, it doesn't bother me if the person speaks at a volume level equal to regular polite conversation. I certainly prefer it over someone who speaks with their companions loud enough for everyone in the entire restaurant to hear every word.

Carroll, I hope you take great comfort in your meaningful crossing.

• 1 month later...
I am taking a "memorial" Atlantic Crossing on Cunard and prefer to dine alone (I have a confirmed table for two). I realize another solo might be seated with me--but I can handle that.

My question is: if I am dining alone would it be acceptable if I were to read while dining? I've cruised quite a bit but not on Cunard (and never alone), and I accept that this line has protocols other may not.

Thank you.

I also cruise solo. When I was on the Queen Mary I had a table for 2.i had my kindle, solitaire and people watching to occupy my time. They would not bring a random person to your 2 person assigned table.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

I have dined alone in all sorts of restaurants and several times in the Queens Grill. I think most people actually avoid looking at you. The waiter and assistant waiter usually inquired about my day and made efforts to engage in short conversations. I have read on my iPad and just enjoyed the pre dinner drink. Usually the other tables are quite close and the people chatted with me and at times I discreetly overheard several conversations. I think a single earpiece could be acceptable if you are watching or listening to media. But in any case just enjoy your evening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you.

Bring your e-reader and nobody will even notice.

• Like 1

Thank you.

CarrollQuinn: For whatever it's worth (and not knowing the dates of your planned voyage) I would suggest you request the maître d'hôtel to refrain from sitting others at your table. It's a simple request, easily achieved, and you can share your reasons (or not) at your discretion.

In my own opinion, you should pass the time in any fashion that makes you comfortable ... reading or whatever. I would defend you to any small-minded busybodies who have nothing better to do than to judge those around them.

Your reading, or eating, or any other quiet activity should have no effect on them. And if it offends their tender sensibilities then I would propose they get over their own pettiness.

As Edward III articulated so eloquently, "Honi soit qui mal y pense" which translates as ""Shame be to him who thinks evil of it". The context at that time (according to tradition) was that he was calling-out those who s******ed at his daughter-in-law Joan of Kent after her garter slipped down her leg. The King placed the garter on his own leg and challenged those present to, essentially, grow up and mind their own business. This phrase became the motto of The Order of the Garter, the apotheosis of chivalry.

I propose that your preferences receive the respect that they are due.

I hope your voyage is all that you wish.

PJ