Social media ? WiFi?

ARI421

Unfamiliar with celebrity, do they offer a social media wifi package (similar to carnival) or how bad is WiFi pricing, bringing a teenager who is quite concerned! I would only need something on his device ours stay in shut off! Lol

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Forums mobile app

One suggestion would be to have your teenage do the research to answer your question -- introduce him/her to Cruise Critic and the search function here. Perhaps when the cost is discovered, it might be an eye-opener and further research can reveal cheap options for internet in the ports you will be visiting.

Word to the wise, if you pay the outrageous wi-fi package costs, don't do so with the expectation that you will be able to stream movies or videos. On occasion you can, but often the connection is too slow to do that. If your teen was looking for that, I suggest instead he/she download some stuff and bring a laptop or good tablet to view it on. Live streaming is limited and often impossible. You can also find free wi-fi in some ports, although on recent cruises I have had more and more issues while doing that, including malware getting uploaded to my phone. You could remind them that we all lived without being connected for most of our lives, but I don't think that will help:)

1 week won't kill your teen without "social" media.....I can guarantee that whatever they "miss" in 6-7 days will not have changed much! It's the price of cruising....

No - it's the benefit of cruising...:)

Unfamiliar with celebrity, do they offer a social media wifi package (similar to carnival) or how bad is WiFi pricing, bringing a teenager who is quite concerned! I would only need something on his device ours stay in shut off! Lol

For a 7-9 nighter unlimited use for 1 device ( you can use multiple devices--phone, ipad, kindle etc, just with one device logged in at any given time) is $224--and far better for the liver than a more expensive booze plan. It is terrific service--i use both for streaming and voip with very few problems--mostly limited to some audio drag on calls. On the very rare occasions I've hit a snag, for example almost no coverage in a cabin once-- within an hour a tech was there checking things and they reset whatever router was faulty. Also, if you have any issues with logging in, I've found the tech support folks on board to be super helpful.

One potential caveat regards streaming-- generally I've found that a vpn isn't necessary for working around channels that block international signals,(the ship's wifi has shown up as us based) but that's not been the case on a few evenings.

While my experience is limited 3 Celebrity ships, I've used them within the past 3 months and wifi service has been great.

For a 7-9 nighter unlimited use for 1 device ( you can use multiple devices--phone, ipad, kindle etc, just with one device logged in at any given time) is $224--and far better for the liver than a more expensive booze plan. It is terrific service--i use both for streaming and voip with very few problems--mostly limited to some audio drag on calls. On the very rare occasions I've hit a snag, for example almost no coverage in a cabin once-- within an hour a tech was there checking things and they reset whatever router was faulty. Also, if you have any issues with logging in, I've found the tech support folks on board to be super helpful.

One potential caveat regards streaming-- generally I've found that a vpn isn't necessary for working around channels that block international signals,(the ship's wifi has shown up as us based) but that's not been the case on a few evenings.

Thanks I couldn't check online when I asked but I finally did I appreciate you answering instead of people basically telling me my kid doesn't need WiFi I like to be unplugged but if he wants to spend his money on internet I am totally ok with that

Thanks I couldn't check online when I asked but I finally did I appreciate you answering instead of people basically telling me my kid doesn't need WiFi I like to be unplugged but if he wants to spend his money on internet I am totally ok with that

Sure thing. I'd love to take away some of those folks' French Onion soups or umbrella drinks for the week and see how things went!

Hope y'all have a great family trip!!

how bad is WiFi pricing, bringing a teenager who is quite concerned!

Ship WiFi isn't all that great no matter what cruise line you use. There is no line-of-sight between ship and shore, so the Internet is satellite delivered, which means slow speeds and high latency. The cost of an unlimited Internet connection package for my upcoming ten day cruise for a single device is $269. :o :eek: :loudcry: Mind you, I make my living from working on the Internet, and I think the price is too high, thus I'm doing without.

There will be plenty of opportunities in the ports for a free WiFi connection. Also, I would recommend checking with your mobile provider about international roaming. I know that Verizon has a Travelpass. If your teenager really needs the Internet, they should pay for it.

See Internet at Sea: 7 Things You Need to Know and What to Expect on a Cruise: Using a Cell Phone.

Please don't forget that you only need one internet package, even if multiple folks use it or you have multiple devices. The system will just make sure that only one device is signed on at a time.

Ship WiFi isn't all that great no matter what cruise line you use. There is no line-of-sight between ship and shore' date=' so the Internet is satellite delivered, which means slow speeds and high latency. .[/quote']

Not totally true. We have sailed several of the newer RCCL ships (Anthem, Harmony). Wifi speeds are fantastic.....like home or better. Can't speak for celebrity but not all ship wifi struggles.