Tipping in Michael's Club

ggo85

I have also been told multiple times on board after asking directly that the Luminae staff pool all tips too.

So, does it pay to pass out individual envelopes to your waiter, sommelier, and maitre'd in Luminae? Also, would the pool system also apply in the specialty restaurants?

Manuela is absolutely the best MC concierge we have encountered!

Yes she is......she was just wonderful on our Eclipse cruise in April....and she was that way with ALL the suite guests, not just the RS & PH group which is what we found on other sailings.....

Whom do you tip when you have included tips in your cruise fare? Doing our first Celebrity cruise in September and Celebrity's promotion includes tipping, the premium beverage package, etc. Do people generally tip on top what is included?

Thanks for your response!

Whom do you tip when you have included tips in your cruise fare? Doing our first Celebrity cruise in September and Celebrity's promotion includes tipping, the premium beverage package, etc. Do people generally tip on top what is included?

We do , but it’s up to you, I tip a dollar extra for each drink, then tip room steward extra 40 to 60 at end of cruise, also tip waiter extra, all depending on level of service.

I do extra to butler, steward, MCC, and luminae team, and generally to the "regular" folks at Cafe al Bacio--a nightly stop for my fave nibbles. Although in luminae they pool tips, I tend to like to spread the wealth a bit with those who have been especially great. Also I maintain a note in my phone to keep track of names that I want to be sure to mention in the post cruise survey.

Before we leave I go to the bank and get a handful of $2.00 bills and a couple rolls of gold dollars for tipping the bartenders. You get some strange looks at first but once they realize it's real money they are always extra helpful.

So, does it pay to pass out individual envelopes to your waiter, sommelier, and maitre'd in Luminae? Also, would the pool system also apply in the specialty restaurants?

Luminae is always a team effort. Here is what I usually do. I ask the maitre d' before the end of the cruise to give me a list (first names) of everybody on the Luminae team. I use this later in my post-cruise survey to acknowledge them by name. I also confirm with the maitre d' whether the tips are pooled or not. The answer is almost always that they are pooled. On the last night I hand an envelope with my tip to the maitre d' marked "Luminae staff" on the outside. Same for Michael's Club concierge and staff. Of course if somebody does something special you can tip them directly on the spot.

Luminae is always a team effort. Here is what I usually do. I ask the maitre d' before the end of the cruise to give me a list (first names) of everybody on the Luminae team. I use this later in my post-cruise survey to acknowledge them by name. I also confirm with the maitre d' whether the tips are pooled or not. The answer is almost always that they are pooled. On the last night I hand an envelope with my tip to the maitre d' marked "Luminae staff" on the outside. Same for Michael's Club concierge and staff. Of course if somebody does something special you can tip them directly on the spot.

On several occasions I have been told by the Luminae Maitre'd that the team pools the tips in Luminae. However, I've been told that this pooling only extends to the "food" team and that the sommelier is part of the "beverage" team and that I should tip him or her separately. So, I give one envelope to the Maitre'd addressed to "Luminae Team" and I give an envelope separately to the sommelier.

For those who choose to tip, do you typically tip the bar servers as you go (by drink/by evening) or at the end of the cruise?

Ditto for the concierge, tip at the time he/she does something special or at the end?

Finally, if you visit MC but don't ask the concierge to do anything for you, do you tip the concierge essentially for being available and providing a general level of service? NOT trying to get into a debate regarding whether one should or should not tip under these circumstances -- just trying to ascertain what most people actually do.

Regarding Michael's Club, what are the "requirements" to be admited. I have often wondered when I see people going in. TIA :)

Regarding Michael's Club, what are the "requirements" to be admited. I have often wondered when I see people going in. TIA :)

Suite guests, Xenith Captain’s Club members, some frequent gamblers (Blue Chip) and anyone else designated VIP.

I was on the Eclipse 15 night trans Atlantic and never even knew there was a Suite Manager. Manuella took care of any questions we

had.

Aside from a phone call...that was initiated by our butler, we never met him either on that sailing....no idea what he actually does...:rolleyes: