Can you beat this chair hog story?

This is all great.

So here's quick 'opposite' from last month. We had gone to top deck for our day in Glacier Bay last month. And early in the morning got some towels and blankets for 2 chairs for what is going to be a long day enjoying the scenery. We immediately sat and spent the day. Many others did the same. And during the course of many hours, some time is spent relaxing in your chair and some time is spent 'at the rail' 5 feet away as might be expected. But we absolutely never left the general area and had recognized 'neighbors' for the entire day. At some point in the afternoon we must have gone across to the port side to get a few pictures. But our stuff remained at our two chairs. (why wouldn't it?) Come back 10 minutes later (tops) to see that a couple had piled our stuff on the adjacent small table and were eating lunch in our chairs.

Yes I said something quite direct as our chair neighbors nodded. I really didn't mind that our 'neighbors' hadn't said anything directly as their culture might not have encouraged that. But I did give our seat stealers an 'out' inviting them to finish their meal at their leisure and that we would continue to enjoy the view standing thinking that I was being more than gracious and that they would take the hint. But when they were done, they didn't leave!

In the end, I decided to avoid a heated verbal encounter and simply grabbed our stuff, including our blanket (that needed returning) that almost forced the rude lady to fall off the seat as I practically pulled it from under her not so narrow backside. I won't say the word that I was thinking at that moment.

Let me add that for most of the day there were plenty of available chairs. There were only a few peak time when all were occupied. So there was really no need to 'vacate' so others could get a chance.

And so it goes.

Edited by jsglow

I just don't get the chair hogging and racing people to be first in line, etc... I'm on a cruise to relax. It would seem that stressing about getting up early to hog chairs or omg I have to run to be first in line is counter intuitive to what a cruise (or any vacation) is about. If I get a front seat by the pool or stage, awesome, if not, so what, I'm still on a vacation with a drink in my hand and my worries are back at home.

All though I must thank these people for doing what they do as they provide a great source of entertainment, free of charge. Nothing like sitting above Lido and just watching the festivities take place. :D

Here's a clip I love! And Nevis is perhaps the 'chillest' place on earth. Warning, there's some language.

Another reminder for why NOT to do a ship sponsored excursion! ;-)

Edited by jsglow

I am going to get shirts printed with “Chair Hog Police” for my upcoming cruise. Eff em all if they can’t take a joke. I’m going to get my clamshell on Serenity this cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes! :D

:D

Yup. Craziness. On NCL we went for one of the game shows in the atrium. A lady had a table with 4 cushy chairs all pushed in and holding onto them with her arms. We and others commented after about 15 minutes into the show. Guess what? No one ever showed up the entire 45 minute show while some of us were standing the whole time. Selfish!

I would have sat with her lol

Yeah, but you took those chairs for hours and hours. If all of you up and left, your blankets were the only thing occupying the chairs. That's chair hogging whether you agree or not.

No they weren't the only thing occupying those chairs and for 90% of the day there were plenty available. Do you really expect folks to leave chairs they are using throughout the day? We hadn't 'left them'. We took pictures on the other side for a few minutes; no different than a couple going for a swim in the pool in the Caribbean. Nobody defines 'chair hogging' that way. Well, perhaps except you. :rolleyes:

And I do agree with you if capacity had become an issue but it didn't except for brief periods.

My chair hogging story is a bit different.

A few years ago on the breeze, a port day that I did not get off the ship. I went up to the floor above lido to get on of those love seat things to watch the movie that was on the big screen.

I was laying on the love seat and a lady comes up and asks if I could sit up so she can sit on the loveseat too. I said "no, I am relaxing, this is a love seat and I don't even know you". She said "well this is the side people can smoke on and I need to sit down so I can smoke". '

I was flabbergasted---I told her to go smoke somewhere else in a chair she can find (I am not a smoker and certainly didn't want to share a loveseat with a stranger AND a smoker at that).

She continued to argue with me for a bit, I straight up told her to move along because I was not sharing the loveseat. She finally walked away in a huff.

A few years ago on the breeze, a port day that I did not get off the ship. I went up to the floor above lido to get on of those love seat things to watch the movie that was on the big screen.

I was laying on the love seat and a lady comes up and asks if I could sit up so she can sit on the loveseat too. I said "no, I am relaxing, this is a love seat and I don't even know you". She said "well this is the side people can smoke on and I need to sit down so I can smoke". '

I was flabbergasted---I told her to go smoke somewhere else in a chair she can find (I am not a smoker and certainly didn't want to share a loveseat with a stranger AND a smoker at that).

She continued to argue with me for a bit, I straight up told her to move along because I was not sharing the loveseat. She finally walked away in a huff.

Were you actually in the smoking section? It seems that there are few areas where people can smoke. It doesn’t seem fair that a nonsmoker would be in the smoking section then hog the loveseat...maybe I am not understanding your story...

Yeah, but you took those chairs for hours and hours. If all of you up and left, your blankets were the only thing occupying the chairs. That's chair hogging whether you agree or not.

You are allowed to leave your chair for up to 30 minutes or so and they were only gone for 10. There is no limit to the time you can use the chair.

It is not chair hogging to use chairs or loungers all day. They were being used except for short breaks to stand at railing or take pictures. Even Carnivals rule is 30-40 min. So, the 10 minute break from the chair is acceptable.

So they were trying to do the correct thing and smoke in the designated smoking area and you the non-smoker told them to take it somewhere else. Roger that.

I am going to get shirts printed with “Chair Hog Police” for my upcoming cruise. Eff em all if they can’t take a joke. I’m going to get my clamshell on Serenity this cruise.

I do vinyl shirts. I will be coming up with a good design for this one. Anyone else have any shirt ideas hat are funny for this subject?

It is not chair hogging to use chairs or loungers all day. They were being used except for short breaks to stand at railing or take pictures. Even Carnivals rule is 30-40 min. So, the 10 minute break from the chair is acceptable.

And understand. If I had sensed that capacity was an issue, we certainly wouldn't have 'parked'. There were lots of seasoned passengers aboard. I'd never not be courteous and fail to give them a place to sit on a long day like Glacier Bay. But there were numerous available loungers for the vast majority of the day. :)

You were completely in the wrong here! First of all a love seat is meant for 2 people, not for you to lay down in and hog a seat that someone else may need or want. Second....you were a non smoker in the smoking section and refused to give this person her right to do so. I would have sat on the ground and leaned up against said love seat and lit up!

So they were trying to do the correct thing and smoke in the designated smoking area and you the non-smoker told them to take it somewhere else. Roger that.

ha ha, it is a loveseat lounger on the 11th floor--right outside the middle doors. I have no idea where smoking or non smoking is and I was smack dab in the middle of the area across from the big screen.

I got there at noon--no signs anywhere about smoking--so I sit down and I have to give up my seat to a smoker that shows up later??? There were tons of chairs and tables available off to the side she was stating is the smoking area--this was a port day. She just wanted to sit on the loveseat. And why in the world would I have to give up my seat to a smoker?

You were completely in the wrong here! First of all a love seat is meant for 2 people, not for you to lay down in and hog a seat that someone else may need or want. Second....you were a non smoker in the smoking section and refused to give this person her right to do so. I would have sat on the ground and leaned up against said love seat and lit up!

I completely disagree. To have a stranger sit next to you and blow smoke in your face is unexceptable in any situation. But for someone to insist on doing it to you is bordering on ridiculous. Second hand smoke is much worse than the stuff you inhale and is proven to cause cancer. It’s one thing to have smokers in the area where the breeze blows most of it away, but having someone right next to you, the smoke will be unavoidable. I’ve seen many cruisers laying across love seats taking naps or reading. I’ve never insisted they sit up and share it. They got there first, they’re using it, I keep on moving.

Wow..you people are funny. So if you sit in a loveseat by your self, you are going to move over and let a stranger sit there cuddled up to you ???

And unless there was a sign over the loveseats saying "smokers only" why wouldn't anyone sit there. Does a non smoker have to give up a seat in the smoking area? Like I said, she told me the whole side was smoking, so she could take her smoking self to any chair (and there were plenty of them) and smoke. You cant demand someone share a loveseat.

She certainly could have stood there and lit up if she was right it was the smoking side of the ship--she can stand wherever she wants. I am not sharing a loveseat with any stranger--smoker or not