upgrade worth it to Britannia Club room

britichick

We're going in May 2018 - Fjords cruise for 7 days on the Victoria. It would cost £1000 more for me to upgrade to Britannia Club. Any opinions on whether it would be worth it? thanks :)
Hi britichick,

If you find fixed 6pm dining too early, and 8.30pm too late, and want to be able go to dinner when you're ready (between 6.30 and 9.00 each evening)(this being the main advantage that Britannia Club has over standard Britannia), then ask yourself "is £143.00 a night too much to pay for that flexibility?"

The other "perks" are minor (very slightly larger choice on menus, pillow choice, full bottle of Pol Acker in the cabin (put that down as a disincentive ;)) etc).

If you like to spend a relaxing evening without clock-watching (spend longer getting ready for the evening, longer over pre-dinner cocktail in conversation in one of the bars, etc), then that extra £143.00 a night may be well worth it...

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time :)

thank you, I actually don't really like to be set to a time but I think i'd rather use the money for excursions - it's a lot more i think for just that flexibility :)

The only concern i did have (we have the early seating, 8.30 is too late for us) was when we sail past some of the places will we miss out?

I certainly would not pay 1000 pounds more for Club. I was upgraded to Club on my last Cunard cruise and did not see any benefit other than the dining when I wanted. It turned out, however, that I went to dinner within five or ten minutes of 8:30 anyway. I also found the deck 8 stateroom was much noisier than the regular Britannia one I had the previous year on deck 7.

Perhaps you could request a table by the windows in the dining room so you don't miss anything.

I think Pepperrn's comparison is right on the mark. We enjoyed our 25 days in Britannia Club (QM2) because of the dining flexibility, but I'm not sure if I would do it again. IMHO the space in the regular Britannia dining room is so much more dramatic, and you miss that in the low-ceiling Club rooms. As long as we can continue to afford it, I think the better upgrade is to Princess Gril because of the more spacious stateroom (very, very important to us), plus the access to the Concierge and Grills lounges, where we hang out a lot. And we get the anytime dining in Princess.

We're going in May 2018 - Fjords cruise for 7 days on the Victoria. It would cost £1000 more for me to upgrade to Britannia Club. Any opinions on whether it would be worth it? thanks :)

There is always the possibility of an upgrade to Princess Grill - its happened to me.

Just got off QM2 16 days had a club balcony we were situated on 13th floor it was very shaky and forward so you could feel the boat rocking far more it was great to have our own little room in dining and we enjoyed being able to dine when we wanted to but it is definitely in my opinion not worth the extra money because there are no other benefits really

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Although I thoroughly enjoyed our first experience in the Britannia Club last October on the QM2, I wouldn't book it again if the fare difference was too high. For that Quebec - New York cruise we originally booked an 8-Deck semi-obstructed view cabin. There was a significant fare reduction for "previous guests" so instead of re-booking the same category at the lower fare we booked the Club. I think it was only Can.$ 400 more than our original fare for each of us, so it was a good deal.

Our next voyage is 14 days and the fare difference between the sheltered balcony cabin (which we booked) and the Club was an astonishing Can.$3500 per person. It certainly isn't worth that much.

Hi britichick,

If you find fixed 6pm dining too early, and 8.30pm too late, and want to be able go to dinner when you're ready (between 6.30 and 9.00 each evening)(this being the main advantage that Britannia Club has over standard Britannia), then ask yourself "is £143.00 a night too much to pay for that flexibility?"

The other "perks" are minor (very slightly larger choice on menus, pillow choice, full bottle of Pol Acker in the cabin (put that down as a disincentive ;)) etc).

If you like to spend a relaxing evening without clock-watching (spend longer getting ready for the evening, longer over pre-dinner cocktail in conversation in one of the bars, etc), then that extra £143.00 a night may be well worth it...

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time :)

That's my view as well. I have experienced three Britannia Club voyages, all on board Queen Mary 2 (one was a trans-Atlantic solo upgrade - it's who you know) and I enjoyed them all.

I seem to recall that Britannia Club also join the Grills Cocktail Party.

The other 'perk' not mentioned is that should a table for two be one's preference a Britannia Club reservation would be more easily satisfied.

That's my view as well. I have experienced three Britannia Club voyages, all on board Queen Mary 2 (one was a trans-Atlantic solo upgrade - it's who you know) and I enjoyed them all.

I seem to recall that Britannia Club also join the Grills Cocktail Party.

The other 'perk' not mentioned is that should a table for two be one's preference a Britannia Club reservation would be more easily satisfied.

Britannia Club mixing it up with the Grills? Is this something new?

Although I thoroughly enjoyed our first experience in the Britannia Club last October on the QM2, I wouldn't book it again if the fare difference was too high. For that Quebec - New York cruise we originally booked an 8-Deck semi-obstructed view cabin. There was a significant fare reduction for "previous guests" so instead of re-booking the same category at the lower fare we booked the Club. I think it was only Can.$ 400 more than our original fare for each of us, so it was a good deal.

Our next voyage is 14 days and the fare difference between the sheltered balcony cabin (which we booked) and the Club was an astonishing Can.$3500 per person. It certainly isn't worth that much.

We have a Britannia Club A1 Guarantee for the 2018 World Cruise. It was approximately $3500 USD pp more than the highest grade of balcony. There were no Princess Grills available at the time we booked. (this was in June of 2016!!! ) I hope that we did not make a mistake. As I do the Math, it is probably a good deal. (Fingers crossed ;) )

We have a Britannia Club A1 Guarantee for the 2018 World Cruise. It was approximately $3500 USD pp more than the highest grade of balcony. There were no Princess Grills available at the time we booked. (this was in June of 2016!!! ) I hope that we did not make a mistake. As I do the Math, it is probably a good deal. (Fingers crossed ;) )

Whatever the ship I'd say that, given the circumstances, you've made the correct choice.

Britannia Club mixing it up with the Grills? Is this something new?

Back on track, the answer is NO.

It's happened every time I have been in Britannia Club.

And when one is in the Grills it of course adds to the social chit-chat.

Indeed, it is a good deal for a world cruise. I'm sure you will enjoy it. As a friend told me, the a la carte menu in BC was more extensive than in PG. (The comparisons were just six weeks apart.) The only flambeed items in BC were one dessert per night, but other than that he says there is not a lot of difference in the restaurants.

Edited by david,Mississauga
This Website changed my spelling. It no longer understands French accents.

I certainly would not pay 1000 pounds more for Club. I was upgraded to Club on my last Cunard cruise and did not see any benefit other than the dining when I wanted. It turned out, however, that I went to dinner within five or ten minutes of 8:30 anyway. I also found the deck 8 stateroom was much noisier than the regular Britannia one I had the previous year on deck 7.

Perhaps you could request a table by the windows in the dining room so you don't miss anything.

Hi Scrapnana. I didn't realize QM2 had Britannia Club accommodations on Deck 8 - I thought it was only Deck 12 and Deck 13 that had BC cabins. (I enjoyed the accommodations on Deck 12, but haven't tried Deck 13 yet). Question is: what booking category are the Britannia Club cabins on Deck 8, as this would be something I wish to avoid. Thanks in advance. - Salacia

Edited to add: http://www.cunard.com/CunardAssets/QM2%20Refit/QM2-2016-post-refit-deck-plan.pdf

Edited by Salacia

Hi Scrapnana. I didn't realize QM2 had Britannia Club accommodations on Deck 8 - I thought it was only Deck 12 and Deck 13 that had BC cabins. (I enjoyed the accommodations on Deck 12, but haven't tried Deck 13 yet). Question is: what booking category are the Britannia Club cabins on Deck 8, as this would be something I wish to avoid. Thanks in advance. - Salacia

Edited to add: http://www.cunard.com/CunardAssets/QM2%20Refit/QM2-2016-post-refit-deck-plan.pdf

This took place on QE. I have yet to sail on QM2.:(

This took place on QE. I have yet to sail on QM2.:(

Oh, sorry. Your post #15 appeared to indicate a support of a QM2 experience.

I've only sailed on QM2, so please forgive my lack of experience regarding QV and QE. Cheers, Salaica

• 3 weeks later...

The first time we sailedon QM2 we were in the Britannia dining room for a three week voyage. I can only hear in one ear and when there is a lot of noise around me I cannot have a conversation. They put us on a six person table in the middle of the room and refused to move us. To me the noise was literally deafening. We then tried Queens Grill on Victoria and Princess Grill on Elizabeth and both were brilliant but probably not worth the cost. Finally we tried the Britannia Grill on QM2 and found it a good compromise. You can get a two person table and it is nice and quiet. I could actually have a conversation and we could eat when we wanted.

The net result is that we have booked it again for this September, NY to Southampton.

• 1 year later...
I think Pepperrn's comparison is right on the mark. We enjoyed our 25 days in Britannia Club (QM2) because of the dining flexibility, but I'm not sure if I would do it again. IMHO the space in the regular Britannia dining room is so much more dramatic, and you miss that in the low-ceiling Club rooms. As long as we can continue to afford it, I think the better upgrade is to Princess Gril because of the more spacious stateroom (very, very important to us), plus the access to the Concierge and Grills lounges, where we hang out a lot. And we get the anytime dining in Princess.

Hello TV24,

Do you happen to maintain a blog or have pictures of your experience in Princess grill that you would care to share ?

Cheers,

Bob

Hello TV24,

Do you happen to maintain a blog or have pictures of your experience in Princess grill that you would care to share ?

Cheers,

Bob

Good Morning Bob,

Sorry, no photos, but I'm sure you can find a lot on the internet. Cunard's web site has accurate photos of the Princess cabin.

No blog either, at least nothing about the cruise experience. Other than what I wrote, I don't have a lot to say about Princess class. Bigger stateroom with room to spread out and relax. Access to the Concierge Lounge where the Concierge can help you with various issues and where there are coffee, juice, and snacks. Access to the Grills Lounge where we love to drink coffee before lunch in a quiet atmosphere. A separate dining room with lots of windows, designed like a good restaurant on land. Food and service not too different from Britannia class, with a few bells and whistles. We pay extra primarily for the extra space in the stateroom, where we spent a lot of time.

At least for U.S. market pricing and offers, Britannia Club always seems a bad value all around. Indeed, we booked Princess Grill P2 grade for our 27 August QE cruise at, essentially, the same price they want for Club now. No contest to which is a better value in terms of well, everything. Even if the fare for Britannia Club were a "deal", the location of the Club cabins on QV/QE are undesirable being right under the lido deck and the balconies are in permanent shade owing to the overhang of the lido deck above. The Britannia Club restaurant is very attractive as is the single sitting, set table and the slightly enhanced menu and a la carte options. But at the prevailing pricing for me, no thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Coincidentially I’ve booked a Fjords cruise on the Queen Victoria for June 2019 and was also considering the upgrade to a Brittania Club stateroom.

However, I also have a 3 day trip booked on the Queen Elizabeth in December where a club upgrade costs about an extra £30 per person per day. It seems like a low cost and low risk way of assessing the differences.

What do you think?