Early Departure from Amsterdam Airport, Want to catch 10:20 flight back to the USA

guy999

We are sailing into Amsterdam at the end of our cruise in August. The ship should arrive at 6am based on the schedule now. We would like to catch the 10:20am nonstop flight back to the US, all of the rest have multiple stops, otherwise we have to wait until the next day, there is only one daily nonstop back to Dallas.

I don't mind lugging my own bag off of the ship early, but could I make a 10:20am flight back?

We are in aqua class if that makes any difference.

Also we are flying back in First on American, but it's very difficult to tell if they have faster security like JFK or Heathrow if you are in first. Usually a couple of hours in advance is more than enough time in First.

Any ideas, or even where to look for information on this would be appreciated. I did search for awhile but couldn't find anything on point.

also addendum, we are arriving 5 days before our cruise so we will have seen lots of Amsterdam before we sail, we don't really need another day if not needed.

Edited by guy999
more information

We are sailing into Amsterdam at the end of our cruise in August. The ship should arrive at 6am based on the schedule now. We would like to catch the 10:20am nonstop flight back to the US, all of the rest have multiple stops, otherwise we have to wait until the next day, there is only one daily nonstop back to Dallas.

I don't mind lugging my own bag off of the ship early, but could I make a 10:20am flight back?

We are in aqua class if that makes any difference.

Also we are flying back in First on American, but it's very difficult to tell if they have faster security like JFK or Heathrow if you are in first. Usually a couple of hours in advance is more than enough time in First.

Any ideas, or even where to look for information on this would be appreciated. I did search for awhile but couldn't find anything on point.

Following... we are in the same situation at the beginning of August!

Have you asked Celebrity what the earliest flight they recommend is?

hmm never done that before. feels like around here everyone seems to feel that calling for information isn't the most reliable, but I can give it a shot, can't hurt..

My inclination is no. I’ve only gone through Schiphol once, but even with Gold security, it took forever to get through security and immigration. It joined Heathrow on my list of true 3 hour check in airports.

If you’ve got the time, find a hotel in Amsterdam and enjoy the city...

With a 6am docking self-debarkation most likely would start about 7-7:30 If you can carry your luggage off and have a car waiting you may be able to make the airport between 8-8:30.8. If you do regular debarkation it will be closer to 8 when you leave the ship.

We have only flown from AMS once but baggage check and security took forever.

We are ending a cruise in Amsterdam in June and had flights booked but British Air changed the times, making it likely we would miss the flight. When I called American to change the flight they wouldn’t let us book the direct flight as they said it wasn’t enough time between docking & the flight. (We are flying on miles) We ended up booking a later flight with a stop in Philadelphia, while the direct flight would have been nice we still get to DFW at 5:30.

We booked ChoiceAir and we are debarking in AMS early August and when Delta had a flight change & put us on the 10:20am flight to SLC ChoiceAir wouldn't let us keep the flight when I called to ask about the earlier flight. The earliest flight they allow is 10:30am. We were in AMS airport last May and it took quite awhile to get checked in & through security and we were in Biz class.

I have also heard the ship could be delayed in AMS due to fog. I wouldn't want to risk it. We now are on a connection through SFO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would not put myself through that stress. AMS checkin process can be very long even with an upper class ticket. We have flown out of AMS several times and we needed the full 3 hours almost everytime-particularly in the morning rush hours. As an alternate to another day in the city last year, we opted for the new Hilton at the airport. New and easy access. There is a Sheraton as well.

The layout of Schipol Airport means you have to also take into account it can take 15-20 mins to get to some departure gates.

The plane may also board earlier than you think. The airport states boarding can be up to 60 mins before take off time, as depending on the runway you are taking off from, the plane taxi time can be over 30mins due to the distance to the runway.

Recommendation for long distance flights is aim to arrive 3 hours before the flight.

We had 10:30 flight last July after our British Open cruise.

That flight was booked with Choice Air!

We used the Celebrity bus transfers (and we NEVER do that!), but I thought, with that early of a flight I want to make sure they get me there and I would have some kind of valid complaint if they didn't (vs me just taking taxi or uber).

We were there in plenty of time!!!!!

We were in coach, but are elite with Delta so got to use there separate line and that helped.

You will be fine! (imho)

Have a great cruise.

If you are leaving on a weekday, keep in mind the traffic to get to the airport. It will be rush hour and it is pretty intense there. Also, more cars/caravans on the roads due to summer holiday. I would not do it; we used to fly in and out of there regularly when we lived there.

We had 10:30 flight last July after our British Open cruise.

That flight was booked with Choice Air!

We used the Celebrity bus transfers (and we NEVER do that!), but I thought, with that early of a flight I want to make sure they get me there and I would have some kind of valid complaint if they didn't (vs me just taking taxi or uber).

This is exactly what we have planned for the British Open cruise this year. 10:30 am departure, with a Celebrity transfer from ship to airport. Choice Air had no problems booking it for us.

We booked ChoiceAir and we are debarking in AMS early August and when Delta had a flight change & put us on the 10:20am flight to SLC ChoiceAir wouldn't let us keep the flight when I called to ask about the earlier flight. The earliest flight they allow is 10:30am. We were in AMS airport last May and it took quite awhile to get checked in & through security and we were in Biz class.

I have also heard the ship could be delayed in AMS due to fog. I wouldn't want to risk it. We now are on a connection through SFO.

Interesting... that is the same flight we have. Originally was 10:30am and changed to 10:20am. I called and after a day or two of back and forth Choice Air said if we wanted to keep the flight they would provide a transfer for us. Problem was that it was about $100 per person... really? At this point we have kept that 10:20 flight since we are flexible and could spend the night if it doesn’t work out. We have been very fortunate with early flights in the past and are flying business class, so hoping we make it since it is a Saturday.

Interesting... that is the same flight we have. Originally was 10:30am and changed to 10:20am. I called and after a day or two of back and forth Choice Air said if we wanted to keep the flight they would provide a transfer for us. Problem was that it was about $100 per person... really? At this point we have kept that 10:20 flight since we are flexible and could spend the night if it doesn’t work out. We have been very fortunate with early flights in the past and are flying business class, so hoping we make it since it is a Saturday.

i think i may do what you do, because we could just on the next days flight if we have to.

Good luck,with this! What happens if you miss the flight?? Hope you payed full fare for your first class seats, then you may have better options when you miss the flight. This airport wants you there 3 hours before

flights especially to the US. There is an extra security check for those going straight to the US. We also flew first class (an upgrade) and went through the same security lines as all of the business and elite fliers, a longer line at times than regular security. Just think of priority boarding on Celebrity, doesn’t get you much. Just saying, have backup plans.

These "can I make flight" threads always go the same way.

Some people have to fly in days early and stay at least a day after so they don't "worry" about missing ship or plane...others are more comfortable planning around the potential problems...and in all reality 99.99% of the time there are no problems...if you can't function without worrying about it, don't! But you can reduce the risk by good planning.

I don't know where they are getting $100 per person for transfer. We paid 50 (maybe 60?) for the two of us using celebrity...I would have just used taxi or Uber, but those options were not much cheaper and I wanted whatever "guarantee" came with using Celebrity. (Maybe the 100 is for transfers each way??)

These "can I make flight" threads always go the same way.

Some people have to fly in days early and stay at least a day after so they don't "worry" about missing ship or plane...others are more comfortable planning around the potential problems...and in all reality 99.99% of the time there are no problems...if you can't function without worrying about it, don't! But you can reduce the risk by good planning.

I don't know where they are getting $100 per person for transfer. We paid 50 (maybe 60?) for the two of us using celebrity...I would have just used taxi or Uber, but those options were not much cheaper and I wanted whatever "guarantee" came with using Celebrity. (Maybe the 100 is for transfers each way??)

That is what I was told on the phone when I called right after the change was noticed a few months ago. Celebrity Air asked if I wanted to keep the 10:20am flight and I said yes. They then put me on hold and came back saying they would arrange a transfer for my party of 3 at that price, which I declined. $300 to get three passengers to the airport? I can arrange a private limo for a lot less than that.

To follow up, I also called yesterday to see about changing to the same flight on the following day after disembarkation. Celebrity Air told me that they could rebook me on a flight on disembarkation day only (unless nothing was available) or it would be a voluntary change. That voluntary change would cost us, per person, $250 change fee plus the difference of fare from when I booked, which was around $1200.

Since we are not very happy with any of the other flight choices, we will take our chances and see what happens.

also addendum, we are arriving 5 days before our cruise so we will have seen lots of Amsterdam before we sail, we don't really need another day if not needed.

I would spend one extra night and enjoy some sights outside of Amsterdam. Unless you have already planned to do so in the 5 days you are already spending, take an excursion out to the windmills and seawarf areas. We booked one with Viator and it was well worth the $$. The most popular villages to visit are Zaanse Schans, Volendam, Marken.

• 2 weeks later...

A good few years ago, we took a cruise that sailed to/from Amsterdam and on the return, we were practically in a traffic queue returning to dock. We were several hours late and this caused immense problems for many US guests that had arranged early flights. I remember it vividly as Julie Sherringham was the GS manager onboard at the time.

It’s the luck of the draw - sometimes everything works according to plan and sometimes it doesn’t. It’s also worth checking that the ‘Sail’ event is not happening at the same time as you cruise as that can also caused delays and a change in the port in AMS (that’s also happened to us ;)).

A good few years ago, we took a cruise that sailed to/from Amsterdam and on the return, we were practically in a traffic queue returning to dock. We were several hours late and this caused immense problems for many US guests that had arranged early flights. I remember it vividly as Julie Sherringham was the GS manager onboard at the time.

It’s the luck of the draw - sometimes everything works according to plan and sometimes it doesn’t. It’s also worth checking that the ‘Sail’ event is not happening at the same time as you cruise as that can also caused delays and a change in the port in AMS (that’s also happened to us ;)).

awesome info thank you so much.. these are the dates on sail amsterdam this year. aug 12-16, pretty close to when i'm traveling but I leave before but that's very helpful, plus there is a good website detailing all of the different events thanks a bunch for this.