Tauck -Seine plus Versailles, Paris, London 5/19/18-6/01/18 LIVE

HBCcruiser

Two weeks and counting before we leave for our first River Cruise! We will be sailing with Tauck doing the 14-day "Cruising the Seine Plus Versailles, Paris & London with an added day on the front end in Versailles. So excited! My plan is to do a LIVE review.

I am traveling with my mom. My dad does not travel well, so my DH said, "Go with your mom! Enjoy the time together!" Love that man! This cruise has been on our "bucket" list for quite a while. Neither one of us has ever been to France or London.

I wanted to start this thread early to allow time for CC folks out there to give any tips or advice on France, London, Tauck or river cruising in general.

HB

Your post caught my eye when I saw London? River cruise and London? - but then saw the train portion -

enjoy your sailing and time in London! Recently returned from visiting my oldest who lives in London (Grad school) - what a fabulous city - and what a perfect time (weather wise) to go!

Can recommend a great afternoon "traditional high tea" spot near the V&A Museum if you are interested - very reasonable and it was terrific. V&A also has a fabulous Ocean Liners exhibit currently (believe thru June)- if you a cruise fanatic - it is a must see.

enjoy !

Bob

Great itinerary! From Paris you will in all likelihood arrive at St. Pancras. Step outside of the station to experience the sheer scale of the old brick building. Around the corner is the hotel which looks grand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Pancras_railway_station

The Savoy, wow, sounds splendid. Close to it is Trafalgar Square - a must-see. Have a quick look into the church St. Martin-in-the-Fields. I hope the lovely souvenir shop in the crypt is still there. The National Gallery at Trafalgar Square is amazing to wander through and admission is free: https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/ The van Gogh and Monet paintings are usually surrounded by many visitors, for more space go to the section with the British painters. They also have a nice souvenir shop. When at the V&A you are close to the Royal Albert Hall (famous concert venue). You could have a quick look at the building. Hyde Park is not far from there either. Great breathing space in a fast-paced, crowded city.

In Paris, the military excursion might not sound so appealing to some but I found the history interesting (Napoleon's army fought near my home turf on the Rhine) and the Dome des Invalides is grand.

Enjoy your cruise and stay in London.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
spelling

Great itinerary! From Paris you will in all likelihood arrive at St. Pancras. Step outside of the station to experience the sheer scale of the old brick building. Around the corner is the hotel which looks grand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Pancras_railway_station

The Savoy, wow, sounds splendid. Close to it is Trafalgar Square - a must-see. Have a quick look into the church St. Martin-in-the-Fields. I hope the lovely souvenir shop in the crypt is still there. The National Gallery at Trafalgar Square is amazing to wander through and admission is free: https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/ The van Gogh and Monet paintings are usually surrended by many visitors, for more space go to the section with the British painters. They also have a nice souvenir shop. When at the V&A you are close to the Royal Albert Hall (famous concert venue). You could have a quick look at the building. Hyde Park is not far from there either. Great breathing space in a fast-paced, crowded city.

In Paris, the military excursion might not sound so appealing to some but I found the history interesting (Napoleon's army fought near my home turf on the Rhine) and the Dome des Invalides is grand.

Enjoy your cruise and stay in London.

notamermaid

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions! Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HB

"Number Sixteen". Its a small boutique hotel that has a great traditional high tea in their conservatory and now weather permitting in their outdoor garden. They also accommodate dietary restrictions - I am GF and they accommodated me very nicely.

Bob

While in London we want to do a high tea (thanks for the recommendation, Bob) visit Harrods, take a ride on the Eye, and see the London Tower. After binge watching The Tudors series on Netflix, I HAVE to see the Tower!744f38eb4372dae906ba59a428b8a7d2.jpgc2d2e3dc27c830f60a569ce5de1817fc.jpg

I think we will be busy!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

HB - your very welcome.

My daughter lives around the corner from the Tower - great area. Walk over the Tower Bridge if you can.

Below Tower Bridge is St Katherine's Docks area - great Indian restaurant there as well as a small lunch spot/coffee shop if you need to duck into a place for a quick bite. Would rather sample local shops /establishments then the Starbucks that is there ;)

Great seafood restaurant (upscale) along the water in that area as well if you are interested

Hi HBC. I'll be on this trip also and look forward to meeting you and mom, and everyone. Tauck Treasures Amsterdam to Budapest in 2016 was terrific and I am confident this will be too. Ship, staff, tour directors, etc, and all arrangements were excellent. Really fun group of fellow travelers too. Cheers!

Hi HBC. I'll be on this trip also and look forward to meeting you and mom, and everyone. Tauck Treasures Amsterdam to Budapest in 2016 was terrific and I am confident this will be too. Ship, staff, tour directors, etc, and all arrangements were excellent. Really fun group of fellow travelers too. Cheers!

That is great! Sounds like you really enjoy Tauck. I can’t wait to meet you! I’m Tiffany and my mom is Lora.

The Tower, fully admit, a great place to visit. Interesting to read that they were actually allowed to film "on location", i.e. a few scenes within the tower precincts. It is a pity you cannot make it to Hever Castle in the Kent countryside, which is the childhood home of Anne Boleyn. For a next land trip perhaps...

If it has to be a chain for some quick food I suggest Pret-a-manger round the corner on Lower Thames Street. The soups are nice and the carrot cake is sweet and soo yummy. But in general a local café is preferable. If you want to join the locals, though, get a lunchbreak sandwich from a good supermarket. Or a pub lunch (I suggest a savoury pie or fish and chips).

Harrods is very crowded, but certainly interesting. I prefer Selfridges on Oxford Street - mainly for the architecture - and Liberty department store for its designs.

notamermaid

HB - your very welcome.

My daughter lives around the corner from the Tower - great area. Walk over the Tower Bridge if you can.

Below Tower Bridge is St Katherine's Docks area - great Indian restaurant there as well as a small lunch spot/coffee shop if you need to duck into a place for a quick bite. Would rather sample local shops /establishments then the Starbucks that is there ;)

Great seafood restaurant (upscale) along the water in that area as well if you are interested

Thanks! Can you or your daughter recommend a good pub? I’d like to do a real English Pub! Thanks in advance!

HB

Take a look at The Old Bank of England

In a converted bank - great setting - great bar - great English Pub food.

Ate their twice (both times I visited) - both meals were excellent.

Bob

Oooh that sounds cool! Thanks!

Prebook your tickets for the Eye. You’ll walk right on, otherwise yikes the line is tremendous. Harrods is a must see for the food hall if nothing else. Loved the Tower take the tour which is included in admission and don’t miss the Crown Jewels. We took the boat from the Tower to the Eye, it’s reasonably priced and easy.

Prebook your tickets for the Eye. You’ll walk right on, otherwise yikes the line is tremendous. Harrods is a must see for the food hall if nothing else. Loved the Tower take the tour which is included in admission and don’t miss the Crown Jewels. We took the boat from the Tower to the Eye, it’s reasonably priced and easy.

Good info, thanks. Yes, I already purchased “Skip the Line” tickets for all of our non-Tauck tours through Viator. How long did seeing the Tower with Crown Jewels take? I hope I am allowing enough time. We plan on doing the Tower first thing in the morning then have a 2pm Reservation for the Eye.

If you're staying at the Savoy, you'll be on the same street as Ye Olde Chesire Cheese, which is an old pub on Fleet Street. We grabbed lunch and a pint (or two) there one day and enjoyed it. It's been around forever. London is great - we have been there four times and will be back in September for more.

Agree with Got2Cruise, the food hall in Harrod's is amazing. We ate there once too.

This looks like a fun trip. We have not yet taken the Chunnel train but plan to do so in September, in the other direction, as part of a circuitous journey between London and Copenhagen. It is a good way to break up the trip with dinner in Paris! We'll stay at the St Pancras Hotel the night before we catch the train. Very convenient.

Have a great time!

Good info, thanks. Yes, I already purchased “Skip the Line” tickets for all of our non-Tauck tours through Viator. How long did seeing the Tower with Crown Jewels take? I hope I am allowing enough time. We plan on doing the Tower first thing in the morning then have a 2pm Reservation for the Eye.

That sounds like a doable plan. The skip the line tickets gets you through the gate. Then you wait on another line to see the jewels. So you can get there as soon as it opens, make a B-line to the jewels. Then go back out and find out when next tour is and look around until tour begins.